PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup

Derek
12-17-2007, 12:01 AM
So really no comments about the Mosconi Cup? I like watching the Ryder Cup in golf and find the Mosconi Cup as exciting. Different pairings, different match-ups, it's interesting how styles contrast, how some moves are masterful, and how some moves become failures.

The Cup was live on the Internet for a small fee. I ended up buying Saturday's viewing of five continuous hours for $5. Sure was fun to watch other than the Americans sucking. Some uncharacteristic misses and bad sportsmanship, but that made for spectacular viewing. Of course, Earl the Pearl erupted and made the highlights of the day by cursing at Ralf Souquet.

I will have to say I'm embarrassed by Earl's representation of the US. Here's another reason for other countries to dislike Americans and stereotype us further as big egos and poor sportsmen -- not that the Europeans aren't without fault. Corey Deuel also made some crybaby comments after getting whooped by Drago.

On the flipside, Archer and Morris made comments that they didn't shoot good and their opponent was the better player. Shane was soft-spoken and reserved.

I think what it comes down to is the next Mosconi Cup team needs to actually be a team. Just like in golf, the American team is loaded with a bunch of superstars who can't be cohesive with each other. It's probably a hard decision to make, but Earl really shouldn't be on the next squad as he becomes more detrimental to the team instead of helpful.

pooltchr
12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Earl's history in the cup matches has been very good. He usually shoots some of his best pool in the cup. This year, the Americans had some bad games, but it's hardly reason enough to dump Earl. He has proven to be an asset to the team for several years. Europe just played better this year. I thought the team we had was pretty solid.
Steve

Derek
12-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I watched some more of the replays I could find and have come to determine that the Europeans didn't act a whole lot better. Both sides could use a dose of classiness. While I think Souquet comes across as being a gentleman, he definitely didn't shake Earl's hand right away. Maybe rightfully so since Earl said to him during the match that Ralf was more lucky than good, but shaking Earl's hand first would have been the wise thing. Drago also rubbed people raw, but that just might be his personality and maybe its hard to take a liking to him.

While I wouldn't want my kids acting like Earl, maybe he's not so much at fault as being egged on to act like he does. Obviously, still a hell of a shot when his mind is into it.

hippodrome
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Derek:</font><hr>
While I wouldn't want my kids acting like Earl, maybe he's not so much at fault as being egged on to act like he does. <hr /></blockquote>

I was at the Cup for all four days, and saw all of Earl's tantrums during that time, starting on day one. I didn't see the slightest justification for his persistently bad behavior. As an American fan I was disgusted and embarrassed. Perhaps he might behave a little better if there were some actual consequences for his bad sportsmanship. Let him sit out a year or two.

12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
My understanding is that Matchroom Sports picks the rosters for BOTH teams. IMO there is absolutely ZERO chance that they will leave Strickland out. It's good for ratings when he melts down. Hell, it's even good for ratings if there's a CHANCE he'll melt down. GF

Deeman3
12-19-2007, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr> My understanding is that Matchroom Sports picks the rosters for BOTH teams. IMO there is absolutely ZERO chance that they will leave Strickland out. It's good for ratings when he melts down. Hell, it's even good for ratings if there's a CHANCE he'll melt down. GF <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">George,

You make a good point. I thought they let Charlie William's group pick all but one and that Matchroom used their "super pick" for Earl each year, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, is televised pool not boring enough that we can't use an unreasonable outburst and some attention getting drama in a few matches? If Earl all of a sudden became quiet and demure, I think you'd have folks saying, "What happened to Earl?" "He doesn't care anymore!"

If Earl acting childish is the worse thing we experience in pool, it probably won't ruin the game. At least it is something to talk about. I have been watching some of the 2000 WPBA matches on TV the last few weeks and if I hear one more explaination of why Allison is so good with a bridge or how so and so is making a "statement", I may explode myself! It is as if every single broadcast, no one in the entire audience base has ever seen a game, the players or understand the first thing about the players or the game. Just once, after a player shelacks another 7-0, instead of saying "we will see her again." I'd like Mitch or another parrot to say, "Wow, she got her butt handed to her."

Yes, I do on occasion turn the sound off but I keep hoping they will find someone who can discuss the game and the players without the same ad naueum expressions over and over and over....sorry for the rant, a little Earl in me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any chance you'll be doing color commentary at some point in the future? </font color>

hippodrome
12-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Well written, DeeMan, though we disagree on what kind of pool we want to see. I may be easily amused, but I don't need unreasonable outbursts and attention-getting drama in order to hold my interest.

For me, the game's the thing. The real drama is in the competition. Granted, the commentary is often trite and boring, but that's a different subject, and something we can improve on without changing the character of the game.

Qtec
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
web page (http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1305126590?bctid=1344587076)

Q ???????????

Deeman3
12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Yes, after seeing the video, it was pretty shameful behavour on Earl's part. I know the crowds get on him from the start but, of course, as a professional you would think he could control himself a bit better. His reaction just fuels the flames. As oour skills decline, all of us try to justify them but looking at others as the cause is not acceptable.

I still think he will be a draw perhaps more because of his volitile nature than despite it. Of course, that does not make bad treatment of your opponents right.