PDA

View Full Version : One of a kind or just a Flaw

lau69
12-18-2007, 02:54 AM
When i was a kid i was into collecting sports cards and coins and things like that and one thing i remember about that is when the item being collected had an imperfection from the maker it would sky rocket the value. So anyway i have been playing with my cue for almost a year now and today i set my cue on the table for a moment and when i went to pick it up i noticed that one of the silver inlays surounding the turcoise is cut short at the point, There are eight of them and thats the only one, i had the oppertunity to look at the same cue somewhere else and nothing is missing from that one, its a mcdermott cue. i guess what i am wondering is how is this imperfection looked at in the cue world, do i think about it as "hey, instead of 1 in 500 this makes it a one of a kind" or "the guy making this cue must have been pretty lazy". the only reason this bugs me is that instead of suporting my local cue maker who i must say does some good work, i went with a cue that i had been looking at for some time and with the cue maker i knew that never in a million years would he let a cue loose that wasnt absolutly perfect to him. what are your thoughts??

Rich R.
12-18-2007, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lau69:</font><hr> When i was a kid i was into collecting sports cards and coins and things like that and one thing i remember about that is when the item being collected had an imperfection from the maker it would sky rocket the value. So anyway i have been playing with my cue for almost a year now and today i set my cue on the table for a moment and when i went to pick it up i noticed that one of the silver inlays surounding the turcoise is cut short at the point, There are eight of them and thats the only one, i had the oppertunity to look at the same cue somewhere else and nothing is missing from that one, its a mcdermott cue. i guess what i am wondering is how is this imperfection looked at in the cue world, do i think about it as "hey, instead of 1 in 500 this makes it a one of a kind" or "the guy making this cue must have been pretty lazy". the only reason this bugs me is that instead of suporting my local cue maker who i must say does some good work, i went with a cue that i had been looking at for some time and with the cue maker i knew that never in a million years would he let a cue loose that wasnt absolutly perfect to him. what are your thoughts?? <hr /></blockquote>
Because the McD cue is a production cue, not that it would make any difference in a one off cue, I would have to consider the imperfection as nothing but a flaw. JMHO.

I have nothing against production cue companies, but I strongly recommend supporting good local cue makers whenever possible.

Ralph_Kramden
12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R:</font><hr>
Because the McD cue is a production cue, not that it would make any difference in a one off cue, I would have to consider the imperfection as nothing but a flaw. JMHO.

I have nothing against production cue companies, but I strongly recommend supporting good local cue makers whenever possible. <hr /></blockquote>
I agree with Rich R.

Heretic
12-19-2007, 12:30 AM
if you really like the feel of the cue, doesn't resale value become moot?
I have a one of a kind stick, that is perfect for me. I never even consider the value, because no manufacturer can guarantee I could get another stick to feel exactly like my current one