PDA

View Full Version : The TOP Pool Teacher

Artemus
12-18-2007, 06:17 AM
2007 is almost over and it's time to vote for the TOP pool teacher in the country award.

My vote goes to STAN SHUFFETT!!! I vote for him because he apparently teaches in such a way that even a CHILD can understand. Hey wait a minute, he DID teach a child and the kid is a bona fide world beater and champion, not to mention a few other sporty players like Ulrich and Stevie Moore! I guess there's nothing like simple. Give me a good old retired ELEMENTARY school teacher like Stan is any day.

Who is your vote and why?

Rich R.
12-18-2007, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>Who is your vote and why? <hr /></blockquote>
In any list of great instructors, you have to mention CCB members Randy G. and Scott Lee. Some of us have taken lessons from them and some of us only know them through their posts on this forum. However, none of us can deny that they are both great instructors.

Another instructor that I know only through his writing for BD magazine, but he is supposed to be an excellent instructor also, has to be included in this list. Based on his writing alone, I would have to include Mark Wilson.

Cornerman
12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>Who is your vote and why? <hr /></blockquote>
In any list of great instructors, you have to mention CCB members Randy G. and Scott Lee. Some of us have taken lessons from them and some of us only know them through their posts on this forum. However, none of us can deny that they are both great instructors.

Another instructor that I know only through his writing for BD magazine, but he is supposed to be an excellent instructor also, has to be included in this list. Based on his writing alone, I would have to include Mark Wilson. <hr /></blockquote>Both Scott and Randy are awesome. I rib Scott an awful lot, but I've seen him in action, and there's no denying his skills as a teacher. And of course, I can't praise Randy enough.

Two others that IMO need mentioning are Jerry Brieseth and Tom Simpson. Both are excellent communicators and have the style of teaching that just makes you want to learn from them.

Fred

Artemus
12-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately for Scott Lee and Mark Wilson there was a "kiss of death" and any teacher in the future will end up with the same "kiss of death" to sully what they do.
<font color="red"> DCP!! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman3
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>Who is your vote and why? <hr /></blockquote>
In any list of great instructors, you have to mention CCB members Randy G. and Scott Lee.
<font color="blue">I agree here and would add Grady as a sometimes weird but great teacher. </font color>

Jerry Brieseth <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I do feel Jerry is the top instructor I have ever seen. His understanding of the stroke as well as his ability to make it all interesting and his ability to make complex explainations simple makes him, in my mind, just a nose above every other instructor I have met and worked with. It's hard to pick the best as each has some great things to offer. Scott makes you feel like a close friend very quickly and it helps that he really likes people, never rushes you, etc. Although I have played against Randy but never been his student, I get the same feeling from him as well as know he has contributed much to the overall game. Grady just sees things many do not and can up your strategy game a notch just being around him.

I still have to give the edge to Jerry as I have never seen anyone who I thought grasped the entire teaching process as well as the game like him.

I have heard some great things about Fran but have not had the opportunity, yet, to learn directly from her. I have learned to pay close attention to what she says.

If you have to pick someone to teach you, then have a beer with later, it's for sure Scott. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Eric.
12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> Unfortunately for Scott Lee and Mark Wilson there was a "kiss of death" and any teacher in the future will end up with the same "kiss of death" to sully what they do.
<font color="red"> DCP!! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like AZB drama /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif DCP/OCD is a strange one...

Back on topic; I don't know how to quantify THE top teacher. All I can say is that in my area, based on reputation, personal experience and even interaction on this board, two teachers that have great reps are Tony Robles and Fran Crimi.

Eric

Billy_Bob
12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Let's see...

Teaching is imparting knowledge.

And to impart is basically to communicate, and this would be someone who is communicating their knowledge of pool to others. (Wide open field here...)

So basically a "TOP teacher" for myself would be one who can communicate the "material" in the best manner so I can understand what that person is trying to communicate.

So the lesson "gets communicated" to me, I understand what the person is trying to teach me.

So who is the "Top teacher" in my mind or who has best communicated "the material" so that I can understand it? I don't feel there is any one who covers everything, but many. Each one is the best for one particular subject.

Here are my favorites...

Playing APA on a team with a master pool player who shared his knowledge with me - There are some things you can't learn from a book, a video, or from the internet. One is being in the middle of a game and being able to call a "time out" and having an expert coach you on what options you have in that specific situation. Priceless! Options are discussed which you would never think about on your own. The key here is *who* is doing the coaching!

Jimmy Reid's "Art of eight-ball" video - This communicated to me something which no one else was telling me. That you should be trying to run the table and you do this by leaving the cue ball in a good spot for your next shot. Then he showed me in his video how this is done, step by step. (The lesser skilled players do not know this and the better players assume everyone knows this or are not willing to share their knowledge.)

Dr. Dave's DVD - I learned I could hit the cue ball in a different manner to get it to go different directions after hitting the object ball. I learned how exactly I could leave the cue ball in a good spot for my next shot. He communicated to me many "difficult to understand" concepts in a simple to understand manner. "I get it now!"

Fast Larry - For mentioning Jimmy Reid and for his constantly saying "You can't run 3 friggin balls!" Well I got to thinking about this, running 3 balls, and learned it is quite difficult! I concentrated on being able to run 3 balls and therefore learned all about what was required to do this. I learned there is a BIG difference between running 2 balls and 3 balls! And that with 3 balls, I need to leave the cue ball on the 2nd ball so that I can shoot that 2nd ball so that I can leave the cue ball in a good spot to shoot the 3rd ball. So the cue ball leave after the 1st shot is critical as you need to factor in the 3rd ball. (I learned to look ahead several shots before shooting the first shot.)

"Billiard Sanctuary Academy of the Cueing Arts" first two videos on stroke - The best videos I have seen on stroke fundamentals. This is extremely detailed. Then to complement this, going to a private instructor and having him watch my stroke and tell me what I need to work on.

Then the internet - Learning in detail about all sorts of neat stuff!

Videos which are specifically on safeties - This is a subject in itself! Learned what I should be trying to do.

Books on specific subjects like 99 critical shots, 8-ball, racking/breaking, etc. - These books are on just one specific subject and go into extreme detail for that subject. This stuff can't be covered in a general "how to play" book and some of these things can be a BIG help toward winning a game. (That one shot...)

Colin Colenso and his youtube "throw video" - This demonstrates what is going on with throw. (Another "I get it now!")

Dr. Dave's high speed videos - Allowed me to understand what is going on exactly when certain things happen which occur too fast to see.

Rich R.
12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I have heard some great things about Fran but have not had the opportunity, yet, to learn directly from her. I have learned to pay close attention to what she says. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
Damn, I forgot about Fran when I posted my response.
Sorry for my oversight Fran. You definitely belong on this list.

wolfdancer
12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
There seems to be a wealth of good instructors out there now....that wasn't the case in the late 80S when I began playing.
A good friend of mine swore by Jerry, another now swears by Randy. Tom and Mark both write excellent articles, and I believe would be great to take lessons from. Scott gave me a lesson and some good advice....trade your cue in for a bowling ball...I should have listened to him, could have saved a lot of money.
I think the emphasis on good mechanics that the modern instructor stresses, has been the real breakthrough. I've also heard good things about both Fran and Tony Robles.
I'm teaching a friend's 2 yr old how to play...so far she is getting better at throwing the balls into the pocket, and not so much on the floor....I figure another couple of years before we move on to lesson 2, advanced cueing techniques.
One tip if you are teaching your 2 yr old to play, and don't want any dna on the table...double diaper them.....

pooltchr
12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I have had the opportunity to work with several instructors, and regularly communicate with quite a few others. In my opinion, the top pool teacher is whichever one I happen to be working with at the time. Randy, Scott, Tom, Mark, Stan, Bob, Jerry, Fran...all of them are individuals, and each has something to offer to anyone willing to learn. Why pick one? I want to spend time with ALL of them! I want to learn everything I can, and every time I spend time with any of them, that is what happens.
Steve

Ralph_Kramden
12-18-2007, 10:49 PM
I have never met him, but if I ever get near San Francisco, I would consider taking lessons from Bob Jewett.

After reading his articles I am convinced most flaws that would ever come up with my game could be analized by him. The most important thing IMO would be that he would be able to give explanations why things would or wouldn't work.

I've heard too many BS stories from players about how to stroke the ball and what happens to the balls when they collide. Books and videos are great resources but if one is talking about a 'hands on' type of instruction I will pick Mr. Jewett.

Artemus
12-19-2007, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I have had the opportunity to work with several instructors, and regularly communicate with quite a few others. In my opinion, the top pool teacher is whichever one I happen to be working with at the time. Randy, Scott, Tom, Mark, Stan, Bob, Jerry, Fran...all of them are individuals, and each has something to offer to anyone willing to learn. Why pick one? I want to spend time with ALL of them! I want to learn everything I can, and every time I spend time with any of them, that is what happens.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

That would be the ideal situation. However, it's the good old American way of acknowledging accomplishment and "job well done" whether it's the Oscars, Emmys, Music Awards, Daytime Soap, etc. They do it in golf, why not pool?

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/2007/08/50greatestteachers_intro

I could be wrong, but the award for the most traveled instructor throughout 2007 should go to Scott Lee. Would that be a unanimous vote or has anyone else put on more miles?

Billy_Bob
12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>...trade your cue in for a bowling ball...<hr /></blockquote>

I would never tell anyone that!

Every player I know gets a lot of enjoyment out of playing no matter what skill level. Most people I play with will never be pros nor could they due to work, family, not able to travel, etc.

So I think the thing to do is to try to improve / practice and do this with the goal of having fun. You can always improve!

If you have fun, then OK in my book!

I could be a lot better player than I am, but no one would come over to my house and play! So I intentionally don't practice or warm-up and let my visitors practice before playing. Then this levels the playing field a bit.

Everyone has more fun this way.

I would say to practice and get good, but it is OK and more fun to not be too good. Remember the other guy is quite happy when he wins.

And don't forget "the train that could"... "I think I can, I think I can..."

Might want to try different local instructors. Maybe one will click with you...

Deeman3
12-19-2007, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>...trade your cue in for a bowling ball...<hr /></blockquote>

I would never tell anyone that!

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> He didn't actually say that to Wolfdancer. WD was just adding some humor to his post. Scott is very respectful of his student's abililities and willingness to learn. </font color>

Billy_Bob
12-19-2007, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> He didn't actually say that to Wolfdancer. WD was just adding some humor to his post. Scott is very respectful of his student's abililities and willingness to learn. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

OK. Didn't seem like something a good instructor would say...

strokeless
12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
fran crimi by far. i have seen fran teaching beginners and
more advanced player. in each case she adjusted to the indiviual player. except for her mantra "stay down". that
applies to all forever.

wolfdancer
12-20-2007, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't have blamed him for saying that, if he had. I couldn't make a ball that day,but the lesson helped.
I couldn't "miss" a ball today (although I did miss my share)
Had to beat the guy twice, that put me in the loser's bracket...but it all worked out. Only the second tournament I've played in a few weeks.

av84fun
12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Of course, we can only express opinions about the teachers we have studied under. And I have had the pleasure and benefit of spending time with several great ones.

But I must nominate Allison Fisher and Gerda Hofstatter and their twice per year "pool school."

They are AWESOME. Plus there is the "cool factor" of actually studying with real live National and World Champions...including one with the greatest tournament victory record of all time.

Regards,
jim

CarolNYC
12-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Hi Eric,
Havent seen you since Vegas-I had a GREAT time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All I can say is that in my area, based on reputation, personal experience and even interaction on this board, two teachers that have great reps are Tony Robles and Fran Crimi.
<hr /></blockquote>
I've been trained by both these people and agree.... and.... I also agree,Eric,that you can't name a TOP teacher-they all have their special qualities and uniqueness /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I'd like to say,two people in our area who dont teach but I would take a lesson for the hell of it is Steve Lipsky and Jude Rosenstock /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oh,and then my straight pool teacher goes to Danny Barouty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Imagine if ALL the teachers threw ONE BIG seminar and we could go to whoever we wanted all day long? That would be cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have a nice Xmas,Eric!
My best always,
Carol

pooltchr
12-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Carol,
Good to see you back here.
Lock and Load!!!
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Love ya
Steve

CarolNYC
12-21-2007, 06:55 AM
STEVE,STEVE,STEVE,
Here comes the NY accent.........

WHATS GOING "AWNNN"? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey,back to this topic,if I didnt thank you,I'll thank you now-
The day you spent training me in NC meant alot and I learned alot-you have ALOT of knowledge and EXTREME amount of patience,especially, with me-you taught me to "slow down" and smell the roses-we clicked....and not many people can slow me down,ha ha ha-the "lock&amp;load" changed my whole game and I have you to thank /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Its funny,I flew out to Maui,HI this past Sept.11 and spent 3 weeks with my family-it took me a week to drive at 35mph.ha ha ha-the first week I think I was the only car honking,yelling "pullover,your gonna get a ticket for driving so slow" ha ha ha!)

Thankyou,Steve-I'd train with you ANYDAY!
Add Steve to the list /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have a wonderful Holiday!
Hope to see you soon!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman3
12-21-2007, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I wouldn't have blamed him for saying that, if he had. I couldn't make a ball that day,but the lesson helped.
I couldn't "miss" a ball today (although I did miss my share)
Had to beat the guy twice, that put me in the loser's bracket...but it all worked out. Only the second tournament I've played in a few weeks. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> It had to work out of you beat him twice!

I knew you didn't need me explaining your words but, in some areas, we think alike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

randyg
12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Scott Lee is now the 2007

"SPF Instructor of the year".

Now that ain't bad....SPF=randyg

Artemus
12-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap, Clap.

May I offer my assistance to Scott or you since he may be out on the road and not able do this himself?? Just click on the arrows next to each blank box.

http://www.chickenhead.com/stuff/oscar/index.asp

What kind of food is being catered in for the banquet? Should I rent a tux once I receive the invitation or will it be less formal?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
12-26-2007, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Eric,
Havent seen you since Vegas-I had a GREAT time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
All I can say is that in my area, based on reputation, personal experience and even interaction on this board, two teachers that have great reps are Tony Robles and Fran Crimi.
<hr /></blockquote>
I've been trained by both these people and agree.... and.... I also agree,Eric,that you can't name a TOP teacher-they all have their special qualities and uniqueness /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I'd like to say,two people in our area who dont teach but I would take a lesson for the hell of it is Steve Lipsky and Jude Rosenstock /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oh,and then my straight pool teacher goes to Danny Barouty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Imagine if ALL the teachers threw ONE BIG seminar and we could go to whoever we wanted all day long? That would be cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have a nice Xmas,Eric!
My best always,
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

It has been a while, maybe too long, Carol. Glad to hear you're still up and about!

You and I are on the same page as far as teachers go. IMO, there are many teachers that can fall into a "Top Teacher" category.

Eric

Artemus
12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
You and I are on the same page as far as teachers go. IMO, there are many teachers that can fall into a "Top Teacher" category.
Eric <hr /></blockquote>

It's too bad you feel this way, Eric. My understanding is that you were on a short list to be selected as one of the judges in the next Miss Universe Pageant. The two requirements were an eye for beauty and the ability to make a decision. Somebody ratted you out on this thread about not making a decision and you were dropped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
12-28-2007, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Eric <hr /></blockquote>

It's too bad you feel this way, Eric. My understanding is that you were on a short list to be selected as one of the judges in the next Miss Universe Pageant. The two requirements were an eye for beauty and the ability to make a decision. Somebody ratted you out on this thread about not making a decision and you were dropped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I'll just have to meet women the ol fashion'd way; drunk, in bars.

Eric

Artemus
12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Eric <hr /></blockquote>

It's too bad you feel this way, Eric. My understanding is that you were on a short list to be selected as one of the judges in the next Miss Universe Pageant. The two requirements were an eye for beauty and the ability to make a decision. Somebody ratted you out on this thread about not making a decision and you were dropped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I'll just have to meet women the ol fashion'd way; drunk, in bars.
Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Good idea. They all look like a Miss Universe contender when you get drunk enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
12-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...Fran Crimi is as good as they get IMO. Allan Kiehle &lt;of 14.1 World Tournament fame&gt; in Hollywood, Florida is doing wonders with several local players. I havent taken a lesson since my last session with Johnny Ervolino {R.I.P.}, who had a certain "way" of getting his point across, LOL!!

As far as phone-in lessons, its gotta be me...Right CAROLNYC??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo~~~been down but not out. Look for Voodoo at the DCC next week &lt;why I dunno but its like "Where's Waldo" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSAPOLIS
12-29-2007, 11:38 AM
I know/and or have met almost everybody mentioned, however my vote goes to Stan Shuffett due to his work with Bo Ram Cha and Louis Ulrich, and Stevie Moore in the past year.

Also, I am heartbroken that I did not make Carol's list.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

lol

I still love you!!!

CarolNYC
12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as phone-in lessons, its gotta be me...Right CAROLNYC???

<hr /></blockquote>

Oh,Oh,Oh, without a DOUBT,baby /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey,like I said,"I'll call you next year" ha ha ha

Carol~loved hearing Steves voice /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifmade-my-day!

CarolNYC
12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Awwwwww,Dave,
You know your my sweetheart /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
"You don't got to be on no stink'n list,baby"-your in the HEART and always will be!
Have a wonderful NEW YEAR! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carol

wolfdancer
12-29-2007, 03:44 PM
you would be on my top ten list. I bought your book as a gift for a talented player (BCA Master) and he "loves" it. It's helping him, help his wife.

hondo
12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, I was impressed with Scott Lee when I met him.

Jude_Rosenstock
12-30-2007, 04:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Eric,

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote>

Have a nice Xmas,Eric!
My best always,
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

I don't normally give lessons because it's impossible for me to devote the time most students would demand of their instructors. However Carol, if you want a lesson, I'd be more than happy to give you one! Just PM me what you would like to learn and what times are good for you!

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 05:27 AM
WOW,Jude-
Thats awesome-
Hmmmmmmmmm,what would I like to learn? How about "everything" in that wonderful brain of yours? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
We got a date /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have a Happy,Healthy,Proseprous New Year!
And Jude,THANK YOU very much,Im honored /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Qtec
12-30-2007, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> 2007 is almost over and it's time to vote for the TOP pool teacher in the country award.

My vote goes to STAN SHUFFETT!!! I vote for him because he apparently teaches in such a way that even a CHILD can understand. Hey wait a minute, he DID teach a child and the kid is a bona fide world beater and champion, not to mention a few other sporty players like Ulrich and Stevie Moore! I guess there's nothing like simple. Give me a good old retired ELEMENTARY school teacher like Stan is any day.

Who is your vote and why? <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea about this guy but I have trained an amateur champ and a 5 times Open Am champ in snooker -both national titles.
Both players needed very little instruction.

Q