PDA

View Full Version : Glove or no Glove, that is the question?

cue_z
12-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Looking to find opinions on wearing a bridge-hand glove. It's very interesting to hear your views and ideas on the subject! So here is your chance to speak your mind....come on don't be shy!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

av84fun
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> Looking to find opinions on wearing a bridge-hand glove. It's very interesting to hear your views and ideas on the subject! So here is your chance to speak your mind....come on don't be shy!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I am a recent convert after playing for 4 decades without one. Here is my take.

1. Talc is KNOWN to meaningfully contribute to collision induced throw and should be banned from use.

2. The quality of HVAC systems vary widely and often the humidity is high enough to cause sweating of my hands. Match pressure also contributes to sweating.

3. Wearing a glove achieves consistency in the way the cue slides through the bridge hand. I have detected no difference in the slide with the gloove regardless of temp/humidity changes.

4. For me, there is no benefit or detriment regarding feeling the wood on the bridge hand skin... or not. You still feel the cue slide...just not wood-to-skin but to me, that makes no difference.

5. I would not wear a glove sometimes and not wear it others since that would detract from consistency.

Regards,
Jim

dg-in-centralpa
12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I wear a glove and have for more than 10 years. My hands also sweat alot and the talc just cakes on my hands. Also I don't feel the nicks in my shaft.

DG

Heretic
12-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I keep my shaft smooth and waxed (I am almost obsessive compulsive about this). I have tried the glove, but I just prefer the feel of the wood against my hand

ceebee
12-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I have played for 50 years. The last 8-10 years, I pooh-poohed the glove. Then the A/C started acting up, at my local room, &amp; my sweaty hands weren't going to work. I bought a glove &amp; was converted in a few minutes.

I think the glove is a remarkable invention, I use one all year long now. I even have an extra, just in case...

Rich R.
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> Looking to find opinions on wearing a bridge-hand glove. It's very interesting to hear your views and ideas on the subject! So here is your chance to speak your mind....come on don't be shy!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Let me throw in my two cents.

I choose not to use a glove, but I will never criticize those who do. It is an equipment choice, nothing more or less.

With normal temp and humidity, I usually don't need anything on my hands. However, when the need arises, I do use a little talc. It is not necessary to put thick coating of talc on your hands. When used sparingly, and rubbed in to the skin, it does the necessary job and it does not leave a residue on the table or balls. There is no need to ban the use of talc, just a need to teach people how to use it.

Cornerman
12-22-2007, 08:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> Looking to find opinions on wearing a bridge-hand glove. It's very interesting to hear your views and ideas on the subject! So here is your chance to speak your mind....come on don't be shy!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>I wear one in the summer months. The one I wear (SLIX)has the tips cut so that the finger webbing isn't impeded. The palm has a grippy surface. The wrist is velcro tightening.

Nick Varner sells something very similar.

Fred

Artemus
12-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I have a couple of questions for experienced glove users.
Does it make the shaft feel quite fat as it's going through a closed bridge? In other words, does it make you feel like you want to take down the circumference of the shaft to have the same feeling without?

How long does a glove last before it starts getting sticky or hard from the hand sweating inside?

What happens to the gloves texture if you throw it in the washing machine?

What seems to be the best brand or make of glove for feel and longevity?

Snapshot9
12-24-2007, 06:15 AM
If you have a problem with your hands, by all means, wear a glove, I hate to shake cold clamy hands before or after a match, and consider it rude for a player to extend their hand out in that condition. (at least wipe it on your pants before shaking hands).

I don't have that problem, never have. My hands always stay warm and dry to the touch when playing. I have tried a glove just out of curiousity, didn't care for it (just like the 'other' glove), and I just prefer the natural feel.

It is always interesting to note though, that glove wearers are ALWAYS logic players, and never what we call a 'natural' player. Primarily because touch, feel, is important to a natural player, he operates on it.

Sid_Vicious
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
"I hate to shake cold clamy hands before or after a match, and consider it rude for a player to extend their hand out in that condition."

You and me both...sid

av84fun
12-24-2007, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> I have a couple of questions for experienced glove users.
Does it make the shaft feel quite fat as it's going through a closed bridge? In other words, does it make you feel like you want to take down the circumference of the shaft to have the same feeling without?

How long does a glove last before it starts getting sticky or hard from the hand sweating inside?

What happens to the gloves texture if you throw it in the washing machine?

What seems to be the best brand or make of glove for feel and longevity?

<hr /></blockquote>

It does not make the shaft feel any thicker. That would be a deal breaker for me.

They wear out before they get "sticky" so I've never tried to wash one. Never felt the need to. But for PRACTICE, I just wear the worn out one. I cut the finger tips off (they wear first) and there is a hole where the left side of the palm is. But that makes no difference...it just makes you look like a hobo. (-:

Allison Fisher's is the best. Basically the same as the others (they all seem to be made out of the same material) but hers has little "rubberized" bumps on the finger tips which gives you a very solid feel.

As for longevity, in match play I would GUESS 100 racks but then I wear them worn out so I would say you would buy maybe 5 gloves per year tops.

Regards,
Jim

SKennedy
12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Don't wear a glove and also do not use talc. My hands are pretty much always very dry. Guess I'm just lucky in that regard.

cue_z
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Now what if I told you that there is an alternative to wearing a full-coverage glove? Would anyone be interested?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Artemus
12-26-2007, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> Now what if I told you that there is an alternative to wearing a full-coverage glove? Would anyone be interested?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO That was BEAUTIFUL. Start the thread off about a glove, let everybody run with it, and now throw out the line and hook.

I don't wear a glove, but I'll bite because a have to use talc in the warm part of the year and can't slide the shaft through the bridge at all.
Lay it on us.

9baller
12-27-2007, 02:57 PM
i just bought a glove rectently and i love it.i used to drown my hands in baby powder and that always made my table messy.i never actully used the real talk for pool.

cue_z
12-28-2007, 02:01 PM
What a nice thing to say...thanks!! I have found an item called Billiard Finger Glides @ www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com (http://www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com) I'm hoping that this little item can help everyone with the problem of wearing a GLOVE...I know that it's helped my game! Thank You to everyone who gave an opinion!!;)

Artemus
12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
How about a better fitting chart for S, M, L, XL based on the circumference of the bottom portion of the finger in addition to large finger joints from arthritis like getting the correct ring size?

How do you put them on and take them off, roll them like a Trojan rubber?

cue_z
12-30-2007, 01:41 PM
The Medium is for players with ring sizes 8 to 9 1/2 on middle and index fingers. The large is for players with 10 to 11 1/2. The x-large is for 12 to 14. The small is for players with 6 to 8. I can also custom fit with 3 measurements, base of finger;knuckle &amp; 1st joint below fingernail. They slide on like the finger of a glove. The material inside makes them stay put without slipping. The first person to order a set of Finger Glides from me will get 50% off. www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com (http://www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com) Hey, thanks again for your interest and comments...this site has a great group of Pool Players!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

av84fun
12-30-2007, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> What a nice thing to say...thanks!! I have found an item called Billiard Finger Glides @ www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com (http://www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com) I'm hoping that this little item can help everyone with the problem of wearing a GLOVE...I know that it's helped my game! Thank You to everyone who gave an opinion!!;) <hr /></blockquote>

Do you have a financial interest in the product? Your user name and the product name are the same. Just curious.

Regards,
Jim

Fran Crimi
12-31-2007, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> What a nice thing to say...thanks!! I have found an item called Billiard Finger Glides @ www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com (http://www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com) I'm hoping that this little item can help everyone with the problem of wearing a GLOVE...I know that it's helped my game! Thank You to everyone who gave an opinion!!;) <hr /></blockquote>

Do you have a financial interest in the product? Your user name and the product name are the same. Just curious.

Regards,
Jim <hr /></blockquote>

It's unquestionably spam. I'm surprised it's still here. I suspected it from the first post by the way the question was worded.

Fran

wolfdancer
12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't see any advantage over that, compared with the 3 fingered gloves that are available.
Also believe that having to pull on the edges to get the things on and off, would soon loosen the open ends, and sorry, but feel they are overpriced as well.

BigRigTom
12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I don't see any advantage over that, compared with the 3 fingered gloves that are available.
Also believe that having to pull on the edges to get the things on and off, would soon loosen the open ends, and sorry, but feel they are overpriced as well.
<hr /></blockquote>

All he said plus I like the Scorpion Glove, it is one size fits all, it has that cool scorpion on the back of the hand and I found that one glove will last me through one season and mabe longer if I don't lose it. I like shooting without a glove but my hands sweat and if I am in a tough match I don't want that problem so I just buckle under and use the glove like 99% of the time.

av84fun
01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cue_z:</font><hr> What a nice thing to say...thanks!! I have found an item called Billiard Finger Glides @ www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com (http://www.cuezcuetipcover.blogspot.com) I'm hoping that this little item can help everyone with the problem of wearing a GLOVE...I know that it's helped my game! Thank You to everyone who gave an opinion!!;) <hr /></blockquote>

Regards,
Jim <hr /></blockquote>

It's unquestionably spam. I'm surprised it's still here. I suspected it from the first post by the way the question was worded.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

No doubt. And it is clearly up to the moderators to dump the thread but personally, I truly dislike advertising within the threads especially when they are achieved by deception.

Regards,
Jim

cue_z
01-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Sorry to everyone in here. I work out of my home because I'm disabled. I'm an inventor and love to sew. I make the Finger Glides myself. A friend suggested that I go to this forum and talk about them. I'M REALLY SORRY...I DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD OFFEND ANYONE!!! I HUMBLY APOLOGIZE!!-----Nancy /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ralph_Kramden
01-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Whenever I see someone with a glove on only one hand all I can think of is Michael Jackson singing "Beat It". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Artemus
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Then why has no one jumped on the bandwagon when the AnitoKid is hawking a cue made in the Phillipines?
Personally, I'm not against what either one of them posted, but fair is fair if "spam" is verboten.

Fran Crimi
01-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Did you click on the "notify moderator" button for that post? I did. He's usually on top of things when it comes to removing spam. I'm surprised that one and these are still here. Maybe he's been traveling.

Fran

CarolNYC
01-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi
In another post titled "I Hate the Glove" I notified the poster that advertising was frowned upon-(I could tell the person was new by the number of posts (20+)-just out of respect BEFORE the "bandwagon" jumped on he/she)-you dont have to "notify the moderator"-they got the message-everyone deserves a chance! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Have a good day!
Carol

Artemus
01-07-2008, 08:25 AM
How would this thread be classified? (Click the link part, at least until the cue is finished when it'll go on sale)

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=270189&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

CarolNYC
01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi,
To me, Anitokid is "amping" a cuemaker-it makes no difference to me-Im not the "forum police" where I'll start notifying moderators about someones post-
Usually, I read or respond to the posters I personally know or have met-
I honestly have no opinion-live and let live! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Artemus
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi,
To me, Anitokid is "amping" a cuemaker-it makes no difference to me-Im not the "forum police" where I'll start notifying moderators about someones post-
Usually, I read or respond to the posters I personally know or have met-
I honestly have no opinion-live and let live! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Carol, I'm with you on the live and let live philosophy. Neither one of them has bothered me and I certainly don't want to be part of any forum police group. However, here's a new thread and it isn't about "amping" a cue maker.

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=270276&amp;page=0&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

It's a nice cue. I enjoy looking at it. But is it SPAM?
It's for others to decide. I also found the finger invention interesting.

CarolNYC
01-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi,
Hmmm, the words "up for sale" blew it! Like I said, I honestly dont care,but this part of the site is discussions-I think he's going about it the wrong way-sure, he may get hits on his site,but,if your trying to sell something in the US, get a reputable contact -(my sponsor was Eurowest from Germany-what I did ,is, contact Blatt and ask Victor Stein to take a look at their cues-they became the US dealership for them) so I suggest he find a contact ,in whatever state,and go that route-
I have quite a few cues,I usually dont look at cue posts-I enjoy reading peoples experiences,Dr.Daves DETAILED explanations of things amazes me,Ive met many here who I like very much and I try to find humor in alot of things-alot of people here are VERY smart-alot play team play (which I have alot of respect for) and 8-ball,which I dont play-believe it or not, right now, Im currently working on a project,for a friend, comparing the rules of 9-ball of WPBA,VNEA,TAP,BCA,APA,and WPA to get one set and list any differences-I should be done with the 9-ball by Thursday,then I have to start 8-ball ,OMG,which is a whole other story /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Like I said, "live and let live"
Have a great day!
Carol