PDA

View Full Version : cut shots

bluewolf
08-01-2002, 10:47 AM
I tried downtown's suggestion to aim at the far edge of the pocket instead of dead center last night and it worked. i knew my angles and aim were right but did not realize the cb put a throw on the ob ball. dumb me.

any other suggestions on making cut shots, especially the more difficult ones, i would like to hear.

bluewolf

Cueless Joey
08-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Visualize the cue ball pass the object ball. Looking at the edge of the ob makes me undercut it often. So, I try to visualize the cueball going past the ob.

Rod
08-01-2002, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> I tried downtown's suggestion to aim at the far edge of the pocket instead of dead center last night and it worked. i knew my angles and aim were right but did not realize the cb put a throw on the ob ball. dumb me.

any other suggestions on making cut shots, especially the more difficult ones, i would like to hear.

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

bluewolf, aside from aming for the outside edge, which is a good idea especially at slower speeds. Set up cut shots down the rail. As a warm up at times I set the o/b 1 or 2 ball width off the long rail at the headstring. Place the c/b about 10" behind the o/b at about a 15 degree angle. Your cutting it down the long rail. Shoot it at "slow" speed with a good follow through. Don't bunt the ball, nice and smooth through the c/b. If you play on a drop pocket table you can repeat this about 7 times. Then go to the other end and shoot those balls back the other direction. Either way it does need to be shot both directions. This will fine tune your stroke, stance and aim. You'll find even on this simple cut little discrepancies in aim and stroke. You will notice how such a small margin of error in aim, stroke, or any body movement can cause a miss.
As I said it is best at a slow speed, it's easier to sense what went wrong.

Just as important is to notice which way you miss in either direction. Unless your unique the tendency will be to cut it in or over cut one direction and hit it fat, or to much ball the other direction. That is very natural due to either your aim or your stroke direction. Most everyone has this tendency. That is due to how you see the ball and your stroke direction. Some stroke inside to out and others outside to in. It is a very small amount but enough to make a difference especially on sensitive shots. So you will need to make small adjustments. To prove this put you bridge on top of the long rail. Stroke the cue down the line created by the seam between the cushion and the wood rail, you'll notice which way your stroke goes. Try it both directions.

The above drill, cutting the ball down the rail, will improve all of your cut shots. When I get warmed up I fire those shots down the rail. You can change the angle to more difficult but I'd use that as a starting point. Do this on any kind of a regular basis and you will see a marked improvement in cut shots, not to mention the overall game.
Do practice this before you play as part of a warm up. Let me know if I explained it ok or if any part is confusing.

08-01-2002, 02:37 PM

bluewolf
08-01-2002, 02:57 PM
rod,

when you say down the long rail, do you mean around the side pocket too?

bluewolf

Rod
08-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Yes that is tough Whitewolf and a good test. But for one who is trying to develop their stroke that is just to tough in the begining. One doesn't want to be defeated before they learn the basics. Try it with distance and slow roll the ball with pocket speed or better with the c/b frozen to the rail. That defines the stroke at slow speed. When there was a snooker table near by I shot what you mentioned with the o/b in the center of the table just to make the ball. On a 12 footer it really defines aim and stroke. I don't see the balls well enough now to be very successful with that test. lol

Rod
08-01-2002, 03:10 PM
bluewolf,

I'm not sure I understand your question. What I mean is down the long rail and it will pass the side pocket on it's way to the corner. Is that wht you mean by around the side pocket?

bluewolf
08-01-2002, 03:13 PM
yes. Thanks.

bluewolf

phil in sofla
08-01-2002, 03:27 PM
A couple of things on cut shots.

For any thin cut, I find using draw on the cue ball, all other things being equal, seems to help. Top might do about the same thing. Either one will help get the ob cleanly off the contact, and rolling down the line you expect, reducing the amount of contact induced throw (skid). For the REAL thin cuts, close to 90 degrees, I aim my cue ball edge to the edge of the ob shadow on the table.

Another tip. When cutting a ball close to the long rail down to the corner pocket, aiming to the short rail side of the pocket on a 9 foot table is best, becauze that is the fat part of the pocket. However, on a 7 foot bar box, the play is to aim to the long rail side of the pocket, almost trying to clip the long rail on the way in, because the bar box pockets are forgiving enough (barring some shimmed bar boxes, which I have never seen outside of personal tables), that the pocket really extends up the long rail.

bluewolf
08-02-2002, 06:32 AM
Interesting idea. I have been taking a long straigth shot down a 9 foot table to see if it does in the pocket dead on. I figured that meant my stroke was good.

I can do kick shots, easy ones,long shots,rail shots, easy combos,use inside and outside english to a degree, have been getting better at draw shots. I am doing better at cut shots but just need to get really excellent at this to be able to be a 4. I am pretty good at safety's and can think 3 balls or so ahead. I know the ultimate is to be able to see the whole run, but not there yet. I understand position. I see where I want to cb to be after the ball is sunk but need to learn what english to use, if any, when to use the rail and the speed of the ball being another variable. Not there yet.

Once I get the cut shots down good I am getting a video on position, i am sure that will help. also on a cut where the cb is at one end center and the ob is at the other end center but not frozen to the rail, i need to know if it is best to cut that shot or bank it. might need to work on both.

bluewolf