View Full Version : Bravo!

Gayle in MD
12-23-2007, 10:02 AM
BLOG | Posted 12/21/2007 @ 4:36pm
Lawyers Stepping Up
Katrina vanden Heuvel

PERMALINK SEE ALL POSTS
EMAIL THIS POST COMMENTS (104)
SHARE ARTICLE Buzzflash del.icio.us Digg Facebook Newsvine Reddit What is this?

We are lawyers in the United States of America. As such, we have all taken an oath obligating us to defend the Constitution and the rule of law…. We believe the Bush administration has committed numerous offenses against the Constitution and may have violated federal laws…. Moreover, the administration has blatantly defied congressional subpoenas, obstructing constitutional oversight …. Thus, we call on House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers and Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy to launch hearings into the possibility that crimes have been committed by this administration in violation of the Constitution…. We call for the investigations to go where they must, including into the offices of the President and the Vice President. -- American Lawyers Defending the Constitution

Over one thousand lawyers – including former Governor Mario Cuomo and former Reagan administration official Bruce Fein – have signed onto the above statement demanding wide-ranging investigative hearings into unconstitutional and potentially criminal activity by the Bush administration.

In a conference call with reporters yesterday, Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights and winner of the 2007 Puffin/Nation Prize for Creative Citizenship, said: "The majority of lawyers in this country understand that the Bush administration has really gone off the page of constitutional rights and off the page of fundamental rights, and is willing to push the Congress to restore those rights." Ratner said he was "dismayed" that a Democratic majority has failed "to push on key illegalities… the torture program, and now the destruction of the tapes involving the torture program; the warrantless wiretapping, the denial of habeas corpus, the secret sites/rendition program, special trials, and of course what we now know is the firing of US Attorneys scandal…. The minimal that absolutely is needed to get us back on the page of law is to have serious investigative hearings that go up the chain of command and figure out who is responsible for what."

Ratner noted that even with regard to the US attorney's investigations, where Congressional committees held Harriet Miers, Josh Bolten, and Karl Rove in contempt, leadership has failed to enforce these actions by bringing the resolutions to a vote. "Just announcing that investigations will be held and subpoenas will be issued is terribly insufficient unless Congress is willing to enforce the subpoenas by issuing contempt citations," Ratner said. "Congress has a constitutional duty to oversee the activities of the executive branch and our entire system of government is threatened when Congress simply folds before an obstinate executive. Issuing contempt citations against Bolten, Miers, and Rove should be Congress's first order of business in 2008."

Marjorie Cohn, president of the National Lawyers Guild, discussed the administration's torture program violating three US-ratified treaties and the US torture statute; the illegal War in Iraq violating the US-ratified UN Charter as a war of aggression; and Attorney General Michael Mukasey's conflict of interest in overseeing investigations into the torture program and the destruction of the CIA interrogations tapes.

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?bid=15&pid=262693

LWW
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
They left out the part about Pelosi, Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton, Reid, Rockefeller, and other Dembots being in on the EEEVILLL torture.

Please correct them and add this to your post. I'm sure it was an oversight.

Can you imagine a government that would pour water up a guy's nose for 30 seconds in order to avoid another 9/11 and save 2,996 American lives? Have these people no sense of decency?

LWW

wolfdancer
12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Good link Gayle, thanks!
I see where you have another, inane reply by one of your stalkers. It read to me like a weak attempt at discrediting the report, since there can be no real rebuttal, concerning it.
I'd hope that they do more investigations concerning the Bush violations of the Constitution, and his attempt to subjugate the DOJ.

bamadog
12-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Wolfie, do you ever add anything to a discussion besides, "great post Gayle"?
Can you think on your own?

hondo
12-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Great post, Gayle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hondo
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I see that nobody is replying to he who must not be named now.
And yet he keeps posting. Even imitating Sonoma's
style now.
How pathetic. Must be like having to masturbate in a whorehouse.

wolfdancer
12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
great analogy...LOL !!!

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Must be like having to masturbate in a whorehouse.

I think I'll have another beer on that one Friend!

LWW
12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
hondo, you can't exist without me.

Your dream among dreams is that one day you might outsmart me.

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/plumbing.jpg

hondo attempts to
build a trap for LWW!

LWW

hondo
12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Must be like having to masturbate in a whorehouse.

I think I'll have another beer on that one Friend! <hr /></blockquote>

Yep! That wascally wabbit Hondo done outsmarted
El Dumb again.
It's almost too easy, Sid.

LWW
12-23-2007, 09:15 PM
hondo, you were one of the first to cower in fear over the IQ challenge.

Naow, go back under your bridge and sleep it off.

LWW

Gayle in MD
12-26-2007, 02:44 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LWW
12-26-2007, 02:45 PM
And I had been so nice to you today.

LWW

Gayle in MD
12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Impeachment proceedings, and the appointment of a special prosecutor, are our only hope in preserving our Constitution, and Bill Of rights. Unfortunately, those who voted for republican representatives in the last election, have weakened congressional ability to hold this immoral, illegal administration accountable for their many infractions, and also to rescue our troops from this illegal, immoral BUSH war, which is bankrupting this country. Present national debt is proof of what republican incompetence and corruption can do to a country. Unfortunately, we'll all have to pay for the poor judgement of those who vote republican, but those who are paying with their lives, are those who have paid the most, our troops. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LWW
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Impeachment proceedings, and the appointment of a special prosecutor, are our only hope in preserving our Constitution, and Bill Of rights. Unfortunately, those who voted for republican representatives in the last election, have weakened congressional ability to hold this immoral, illegal administration accountable for their many infractions, and also to rescue our troops from this illegal, immoral BUSH war, which is bankrupting this country. Present national debt is proof of what republican incompetence and corruption can do to a country. Unfortunately, we'll all have to pay for the poor judgement of those who vote republican, but those who are paying with their lives, are those who have payed the most, our troops. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
OH MY GAWD!

That is just precious.
People who voted Republican are stopping the D majority from fulfilling their promises. That's golden my dear.

How about the times the D's were approving of waterboarding? Wer the Bushies holding guns to their heads?

LWW

wolfdancer
12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Gayle, I hope that you had a great Christmas!!!

LWW
12-26-2007, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Gayle, I hope that you had a great Christmas!!! <hr /></blockquote>
I know houndo and wolfe did.

I gave them plenty of slop to roll in, I know they enjoy it so.

LWW

wolfdancer
12-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I was at a Christmas dinner, hosted by my friends,and the other guests were out of town relatives. One was an extraordinary young man of 14,with a maturity level of some years past his age. He's already 6 ft tall,a straight "A" student, and a junior high QB, who can already wing the ball 45 yds. And all I could think about during our brief conversation, was here's a kid with a promising life ahead of him, but he's only 4 years removed from getting caught up in this war, and possibly having that life terminated.
You have your usual stalker posting behind you( and stalker #2 will be posting shortly)....and the claim now is that it's the Democrats that are responsible for the GWB approved, waterboarding. How **** twisted is that logic, since most of the torturing was done secretly in foreign countries, and any paper trail was shredded, illegally.In another post he claims that Nancy Pelosi wants to take the torture to the next level.

wolfdancer
12-26-2007, 03:40 PM
That's juvenile, even for you...and forced me to go against my resolve not to reply to you.
See if you can understand this....you have nothing to offer here but crap like this...nobody takes you seriously, nobody considers you a threat...in any way, shape, or form...and your insane ramblings, cause as much trouble for me as some intestinal gas does..which is easily dismissed...
How you can take a simple Christmas wishes post, twist it into your own warped fantasy ....and then run around here and claim it's the other side that causes the problems here...that defies belief.

LWW
12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> That's juvenile, even for you...and forced me to go against my resolve not to reply to you.
See if you can understand this....you have nothing to offer here but crap like this...nobody takes you seriously, nobody considers you a threat...in any way, shape, or form...and your insane ramblings, cause as much trouble for me as some intestinal gas does..which is easily dismissed...
How you can take a simple Christmas wishes post, twist it into your own warped fantasy ....and then run around here and claim it's the other side that causes the problems here...that defies belief.
<hr /></blockquote>
I did no such thing.

I offered you peace yesterday ... ON CHRISTMAS ... and you chose to spew haterade instead, so I gave you some more. I figured you must prefer it.

LWW

Gayle in MD
12-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Thank you sweetie, I did have a wonderful Christmas, and I hope you did, as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Love,
Gayle