PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Gayle from MD!

CarolNYC
02-25-2002, 01:57 PM
For those of you who do not know, Gayle jumped into the lions pen with no fear-she played on the CAT tour in MD and got a taste of playing towards points and qualifying spot! I know many have said "should I play in this or that tourney with such good players?" well, Gayle, way to go! At least you've got a taste and know what you have to do! Im proud of you!
Carol~knows the seriousness is not as much fun as a bar league!

Doctor_D
02-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Congratulations indeed!

Gayle showed guts, courage, determination and class in her initial tournament. Kudos to you Gayle.

Dr. D.

Holly
02-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Agreed! Gayle was a real pleasure also to meet, she has such a great spirit! There were quite a few players who attended where it was their first regional event. Gayle, Pauline Mattes, Kim Jones, and Raquel Scott. There may have been a couple more, but not sure. It was exciting to see these ladies dive into the pool, as we all know that the more we complete and practice the wider the sport can grow for all of us who love it so much : ) Big high fives for all women who get out there everyday, cue in hand, determination in their hearts to be the best they can be!
Holly

Rich R.
02-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Your right Carol, Gayle did not expect the tournament to be as serious as it is. When I spoke to her, she did not seem to like the serious atmosphere of a tournament. Although I do not want to speak for Gayle, I do not think you will be seeing her in a tournament in the near future. But, as she gets more involved in pool, she may try it again. Rich R.

cuechick
02-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Yes it can be a bit daunting for newcomers. There were a lot of women I did not know. I did not realize all these CCB'ers were there! I never even got a chance to say hi to Dr. D. It is a serious thing for most of the entrants, the cost of the travel and entry not to mention the time and prep involved makes it a bit more than hobby for many of us. I consider pool more like a second job.
I will definatley get Carol to introduce me to you guys next time, I am not planning to go to the Laurel one, since there is a tri state 8-ball here in NY that weekend, and I want that warm up for Vegas. I may make it Virginia though!
I have to say also, I played Kelly Oyama and she was very gracious and encouraging.

Gayle in MD
02-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the encouragement to you all. Yes, I did play on a lark, mostly because of you, Carol, and your great guy, and my own great guy, Jim and Jim...we are two lucky ladies! My first entire game, I was frozen up completely! Lost seven to one. My second game, I was beginning to get into stroke, finally! Lost seven to five. I never really intended to play, but something in your spirit, Carol, infected me and overoad my own common sense, LOL. The highlight of it all was definately meeting and spending time with all of you, especially Friday evening with Rich R., and his lovely wife, Kathy, who is just a great gal, and Carol and Jimmy, and your beautiful daughter,Keanna, and Dr. Dianna, a real pleasure to meet you, too. And then, the added BONUS, of meeting Ken from CT., fun to meet you! Rich, you are right, I will NEVER, be able to be the kind of opponent who plays my oponent, without a smile, and without friendliness. While I understand it is not best to compliment shots, I did find it very hard to remember not to say "Wow, great shot!" LOL, which is not really from shooting in a league, but just part of my personality. I am looking forward to practicing, and planning to go and shoot in the next CAT Tournament, which BTW, has a great group of gals behind it, and extremely well organized! In the meantime, I am standing in front of the mirror, working on my poker face! Kinda hard to surpress this Italian smile of mine, LOL. And Carol, give that husband of yours a kiss for me! What a nice person, and how kind of him to keep buffing me up all day.
Thanks again,
Gayle in MD.... PS, Holly, hang onto that cell phone girl!

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 01:43 PM
Gayle.. Congrats. and hope this is just the begining..
Your friend..

Gayle in MD
02-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Hi Tom, and thank you for being such a supportive friend to me. Hope I get the chance to meet you soon!
Gayle in Md

CarolNYC
02-28-2002, 04:15 AM
Hey there you pool-playing Lady,
Yes, it is very hard to keep a serious face-complimenting a player is not taboo-but if you just hold your cue in your hand and tap it on the ground once or twice,means good shot-to verbally say it,pumps the player even more-and a good shot is a very difficult shot that ends up with positin onto the next ball-wait till the match is over, than you can discuss the match with your opponent and give her congratulations!One of my oppoents made a kick for the 8-it richochet rabbitted into a pocket and she had position on the 9-I said"good shot" ha ha ha-she said' Your not suppose to ne rooting for me!" but a good shot is a good shot-its all in sportsmanship-if she was not a friend, you can bet your ass I would not have said a word! But Im proud of you lady and with your new Gold crown, put some wear on that cloth,Lady! Good luck-I may be in Manassas-not sure-doe not look to far-depends-we have back to back weekends this month! Take care and we had a great time!
love&respect,
Carol

Rich R.
02-28-2002, 06:00 AM
Good for you Gayle. After talking with you on Saturday, I thought you would be giving up on the tournament scene. I'm happy to hear you reconsidered. Good luck. Rich R.

CarolNYC
03-01-2002, 06:14 AM
Sorry Lady,
We were all caught up in that "Tourney mode" but I will make it a point to introduce you the next time! Forgive me!
Stay well and good luck in tourney!
love,
Carol

Gayle in MD
03-01-2002, 08:13 AM
Hey Carol, HOWYADOIN, LOL, If you make it to Virginia add and extra day on so you guys can spend a day and night here at our house, and do some serious shooting! We've got loads of room, and Jim would enjoy seeing you guys again also. BTW, It's a Diamond Pro, with those little pockets, and I'm getting real used to them, LOL, (Are ya out there Jim S.?) My going depends on how Mom is doing, but you're welcome here any time, and thanks again for everything.
Gayle in Md., Poker face comming along, shooting bout the same, LOL

Gayle in MD
03-01-2002, 08:22 AM
Thanks Rich, and you're right, I was pretty bummed when I talked with you, especially after that second loss, as I knew I defintaely should have won that one. I got so mad at myself, I stopped by this place where I often shoot on the way home, and beat the pants off this guy I've never been able to win against, LOL, he kept asking, "You mad or something Gayle" Too funny!
Gayle in MD.