PDA

View Full Version : Broken latch on case

killerstroke
12-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Happy Holidays to all. A friend had his case knocked over and the turning part of the latch broke off. I am looking for ideas to give him to get it repaired. I had ideas of milling off the part attached to the case so I can get to what holds it on. There is no way to see the back of the latch w/o cutting thru the liner. If I can get it off then I may be able to atach a new one thru the lining. Any ideas, please help. Thanks.

Rich R.
12-25-2007, 11:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote killerstroke:</font><hr> Happy Holidays to all. A friend had his case knocked over and the turning part of the latch broke off. I am looking for ideas to give him to get it repaired. I had ideas of milling off the part attached to the case so I can get to what holds it on. There is no way to see the back of the latch w/o cutting thru the liner. If I can get it off then I may be able to atach a new one thru the lining. Any ideas, please help. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
If your friend's case is an Instroke, which are famous for the latches breaking, he may be able to get the latch replaced. The former owner of Instroke, John Barton, was fixing them at one time, but I don't know if he still is. He can usually be found on the AZB forum.
If the case is an Instroke, your friend may want to contact that company for help.
If the case is not an Instroke, someone skilled in leather work may be able to replace the latch.