PDA

View Full Version : league choices

billiards89
12-26-2007, 10:49 AM
What league do you think is the best
APA or BCA or TAP

SKennedy
12-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Not familiar with TAP. As for BCA and APA? It depends upon what you are looking for. If you are a low level player and are looking for a handicap league that will likely give you the best shot at beating a higher skilled player, then I would suggest APA over BCA. If you are a higher skilled player and want to have more of an edge over a lower skilled player, even if it is a handicap league, then BCA.
I like both leagues and personally don't favor one over the other, but I do think that APA's handicap system does the best at "equalizing" the skill levels. I prefer BCA rules over APA, but then again, the rule differences are designed to help the lower skilled player.
One league may be stronger in your area and that might be more of an influence in which one you choose to play.

billiards89
12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
im a 7 in 8 ball and in the area it seems like the apa is way more popular than the bca the tap league aint even around here yet the apa has a masters league which is fun its just a race to 7 with 8 and 9 ball. and the bca is way smaller than the apa in the area it doesnt seem to be growing any either does the masters it kind of sucks. thanks for the opinions .

SKennedy
12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I guess it's like everything else....you get out of it what you put into it...and that includes attitude. I'd bet I'd enjoy any of the 3 leagues.

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Play BCA and take your lumps be them up or down, AND proceed. That's my OMHO. The other two leagues mentioned are for beer drinkers and hell raisers.....sid

SKennedy
12-31-2007, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Play BCA and take your lumps be them up or down, AND proceed. That's my OMHO. The other two leagues mentioned are for beer drinkers and hell raisers.....sid <hr /></blockquote>

Beer drinkers and hell raisers?? Maybe in your area, but not true here at least regarding APA. But you are right about proceeding!!!

BigRigTom
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Play BCA and take your lumps be them up or down, AND proceed. That's my OMHO. The other two leagues mentioned are for beer drinkers and hell raisers.....sid <hr /></blockquote>

Beer drinkers and hell raisers?? Maybe in your area, but not true here at least regarding APA. But you are right about proceeding!!! <hr /></blockquote>

We actually have bars here that discourage the APA leagues because the players don't drink enough to warrant their dominating the table and the bar space all night on league night....of course there are a few at the other extreme as well.

I don't think the league is the thing...it is the individual person who makes or breaks the experience. You truly do get out of it what you put in to it and of course you will usually get what you look for.

I enjoy APA.
I have tried to join a BCA league a couple of times but they are always too far away, not on the right night or some other glitch I can't quite get around...at least not yet. That day will come though and I will join a BCA league when it works out right.

The TAP had one flash in the pan around here a couple of years ago but the League Operator ran off with the money and the TAP hasn't been attempted around here since. Maybe some day the right guy will get it going again and I would play that too if I could at the time.

Heretic
12-31-2007, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Play BCA and take your lumps be them up or down, AND proceed. That's my OMHO. The other two leagues mentioned are for beer drinkers and hell raisers.....sid <hr /></blockquote>

Hey....I resemble that remark....LOL. On the bar league team that I play on, two of the players are current or former bouncers for the bar (I am one of them).

Cydpkt
12-31-2007, 05:18 PM
We don't have TAP available in Montana but do have APA, BCA, and VNEA. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I really like 9 ball and currently only the APA offers it here. I also like the APA format where I get to play more than 3 games in a night. Don't get me wrong I do like BCA and VNEA but when I am out for 2-4 hours in a night I want to play more games for my time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

billiards89
01-03-2008, 11:15 AM
im surprised the bars havent kicked me out yet im only 20 I might spend $3 a night on drinks if there lucky

bignick31985
01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I play in the APA, still only a 5, but moving on the 6, lol. I enjoy it, but I dont enjoy being put against a 2 at certain times. I miss a shot and the game could take forever, based on their incidental misses and pitiful leaves.

Just something I noticed while playing. I'd like to try the BCA out though.

sack316
01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to play anything but APA... but I have always enjoyed the league. The 9 ball format does indeed do a good job of leveling the playing field, but also sometimes makes it tough as a higher SL. Especially when coming into a scotch doubles league or tourney format (tough to find a solid lower SL willing to put their pride on the line in a stressful tournament situation... ya know?) And when you do you're still a higher SL team, and gets tough playing as say a 10 against a team made up of two solid 3's. Eight ball is still easily winnable vs. a lower SL with the race being to games rather than points... but just gotta be careful not to make many mistakes when your opponent only needs 2 games to win lol

As someone else mentioned, the Masters part is really good. Just straight up duking it out really got my game tight.

Without playing the other types of leagues, I can't honestly give a good comparison... so I'll just say even with all it's problems the APA league has always served it's primary purpose to me--- I've had a lot of fun!

Sack

SKennedy
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr> I play in the APA, still only a 5, but moving on the 6, lol. I enjoy it, but I dont enjoy being put against a 2 at certain times. I miss a shot and the game could take forever, based on their incidental misses and pitiful leaves.

Just something I noticed while playing. I'd like to try the BCA out though. <hr /></blockquote>

Run them out and be done with it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What I hate is when they move every ball on the table every shot. On rare occasion when I'm playing a much better opponent that has an attitude problem, I'll do the same just to watch his expression and irritate them. I know I shouldn't do that (and don't if a game is on the line), but it's fun.

SpiderMan
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> What league do you think is the best
APA or BCA or TAP
<hr /></blockquote>

"Best" probably depends somewhat on the individual. I prefer BCA over APA because of the play format in my area. I tried APA for a year and a half, then went back to BCA.

In APA weekly competition, you match up against only one player on the opposite team, and the order of your matchup is decided by the team captains on-the-fly. This means that you have to arrive at 7 pm, and you might not play until 10:30 or later. The entire 2-team matchup is played serially, on only one table.

It seems that the APA format is designed to keep as many people as possible in the bar, with nothing to do, for as long as possible. So, at any given time, eight of the ten players in a two-team matchup will be sitting around trying to stay interested. Many of them wll pass the time by drinking, which is good for the bar.

My BCA league matches each of the five players of one team against each of the five players of the other team, for a total of 25 matchups. We still finish in about 2-1/2 hours because three tables are running simultaneously. You basically are playing all the time, with only short respite.

I've heard that TAP is basically an APA knockoff, with similar format.

SpiderMan

CueSportTV
01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
It is great to see such structured league play over in the USA.

In the UK things are a little bit more adhoc! We have no national championships and the reason behind it is the following for both snooker and 'english' 8-ball pool played on the small bar tables.