PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an old cue

Kutter
12-27-2007, 10:50 AM
The cue I have used for the last 30 years or so, has a very distinct flaw. That flaw has been around from the start and is one reason I was able to buy it so cheep. There is a warp in the butt section, mostly below where I would grip it. Over the years, I just tried to hold it in the same spot, for consistency. I kept it and used it, because I had good faith in it and it felt soo comfortable in my hand. Maybe I am having a midlife crisis, but I find myself looking at other cues and have decided to make the change. LOL
I was always afraid to try to get the warp out, for fear of ruining the stick. Now that change is in the air, I am thinking of trying. Any suggestions on how to do it? Luckily, there is no wrap, so at least that is not in the mix. There are some pearl inserts. Mostly it is hand carved design throughout. Shaving is out of the question. I assume it will involve steam and proper pressure points.

DeadCrab
12-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Steaming wood is always a risky proposition, even if the wood has never been dried and is thin.

To take a very dry, thick, and finished piece, and try to steam bend it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I suggest you retire the cue and keep it for nostalgia's sake.