PDA

View Full Version : Corey Deuel's Soft Break

08-01-2002, 02:28 PM
...will Players really start adopting the Soft Break, since Corey, Mika & most of the the Girls do that & do it so well. Do those mentioned Players do the Soft Break because they cannot do the Hard N Fast Break well?

Kato
08-01-2002, 02:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the guys can power break if they want to. They're just trying to give themselves their best chance to win.

Kato

Lester
08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Saxet Regnar:</font><hr> ...will Players really start adopting the Soft Break, since Corey, Mika &amp; most of the the Girls do that &amp; do it so well. Do those mentioned Players do the Soft Break because they cannot do the Hard N Fast Break well? <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Now with the popular acceptance (WC, and the U.S.Open)of the Sardo tight rack, more players will have to go to the controlled soft break if they want it to be an opportunity to run-out. JMHO ***Lester***

PoolChick02
08-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Hey Saxet Regnar,
Or should I say "Texas Ranger" spelled backwards. I don't know why but something told me to read your name backwards.
To answer your question, I think that some people "will" adopt the soft break "just because" Corey or Mika uses it. I have been noticing people use it at the local pool hall because they want to be like them. To the other question, I think Mika and Corey can break hard and fast, but maybe they just like using the soft break.

08-01-2002, 10:49 PM
I think players will use the break they are more comfortable with, and in which "they feel" they can have better control of the cueball. I don't think the Sardo has anything to do with it. In the last WPC at Cardiff, there was no Sardo yet, both Corey and Mika still used the soft break...I suppose they just feel comfortable with it.

Pizza Bob
08-02-2002, 06:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the soft break came about in answer to the fact that with the Sardo rack they started racking so that the center (nine) ball was on the foot spot, rather than the one ball. This was due to the fact that the wing ball could be made consistently with a hard break when racked with the one ball on the foot spot. Racking with the nine on the spot worked for a short while until they discovered the soft break and put us back to square one. Just how I remember it, but I'm often afflicted with CRS.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

rackmup
08-02-2002, 07:13 AM
The ability to break (hard or soft) using a conventional rack or the Sardo, has allowed televised pool to become predictable and boring. I don't care where you spot the nineball, eventually with practice, a break-and-run snap can be developed.

I believe the less-used "Piñata" break (popular in the Latin countries) should be utilized here in the States.

How does the "Piñata" break work? It's simple:

The balls are racked with any type of rack the Tournament Director chooses (wood, plastic, Sardo, etc.) The players lag for the break and upon determining the "breaker", a shortened cue (usually a jump cue) is brought out by the Match Referee. The breaking player is then blindfolded and places his forehead on the tip of the break cue. He is then required to spin around the cue, maintaining forehead contact with the cue, for a total of ten revolutions. He is then led to the table, the blindfold quickly removed and required to break within 5 seconds of the blindfold removal. Missing the entire rack is common and forfeits the break to his opponent, who must also go through the pre-break routine. This absolutely levels the playing field.

Another popular pre-break routine is the "Jager con Tequila" break (5 Tequila Shots chased with a rocks glass filled with Jagermeisster.) This is commonly used during amateur events and not Pro tournaments.

It's too bad the American tournament promotion groups don't pay more attention to the practices of their south-of-the-border counterparts.

Regards,

Ken

Lester
08-02-2002, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>
I believe the less-used "Piñata" break (popular in the Latin countries) should be utilized here in the States.

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Ha ha Ken, you're killing me. However, I shudder to think how the Pearl would fare in this format. lol ***Lester***

08-02-2002, 08:09 AM
You beat me to it Lester, I was thinking, "Hey Earl come over here...." and the rest is a messy piece of history ;-) sid

Lester
08-02-2002, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid Vicious:</font><hr> You beat me to it Lester, I was thinking, "Hey Earl come over here...." and the rest is a messy piece of history ;-) sid <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Talk about a tough tournament. Sid, all bets are off for "anybody" playing with these rules. (myself included) ***Lester***

DEADSTOKE32
08-02-2002, 08:16 AM
OK I DON'T KNOW WHY IS IT THAT EVERYONE IS JUMPIN OR THE SOFT BREAKIN TIP.JUST BECAUSE COREY IS DOING IT .I SAW COREY IN NY BEFORE HE WAS PRO AND HE WAS BREAKING HARD AND MAKE BALLS .AND GETTING OUT .I SEE IT LIKE THIS IF YOU HIT THE BALLS SOLID YOU'LL MAKE A BALL OR MORE ON THE BREAK.
BUT WHAT I'VE SEEN IT'S SOMETIMES HARD GETTING SHAPE FOR THE NEXT SHOT .AND THAT IS WERE KNOWING HOW TO READ THE RACK COME'S IN ....SO YOU JUST MIGHT HAVE SOME CLUE ON THERE THE BALLS ARE GOING 2 ROLL..HARD, SOFT, FAST, SLOW HELL AS LONG AS U MAKE A BALL WHEN YOUR ON YOUR WAY ...I LIKE MID SPEED WHEN BREAKING ,OR CUT BREAKING WORKS GOOD 2.
DEADSTROKE 32,50/50..

Kato
08-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Rackmup, I promote you to the head of the class and appoint you "Supreme Ruler of Pool". It's not the best paying job in the world but we need your kind of forward thinking to make this game better.

Kato

Lester
08-02-2002, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Rackmup, I promote you to the head of the class and appoint you "Supreme Ruler of Pool". It's not the best paying job in the world but we need your kind of forward thinking to make this game better.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, I just want to know how he got the "tilde" over the "n" in Pinata. ha ha ***Lester***

Kato <hr></blockquote>

rackmup
08-02-2002, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Kato, I just want to know how he got the "tilde" over the "n" in Pinata.<hr></blockquote>

<ul type="square"> Piñata
Jägermeister
Château Armandière
[/list]

Ahhh...the art of "copy and paste."

Regards,

Ken

Lester
08-02-2002, 08:52 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Tanks Ken!!! ***Lester***

Jay M
08-02-2002, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Kato:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Rackmup, I promote you to the head of the class and appoint you "Supreme Ruler of Pool". It's not the best paying job in the world but we need your kind of forward thinking to make this game better.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, I just want to know how he got the "tilde" over the "n" in Pinata. ha ha ***Lester***

Kato &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

There's another way too:

Hold the ALT key down and type the ascii (decimal) value for the character you want, for example, the yen symbol (¥) is decimal 157 so "ALT+157" will display it. Here are the numbers for the other popular symbols:

http://207.90.53.76/ascii2.gif

Jay M

socrates
08-03-2002, 02:19 PM
love that pinata break. still laughing.

heater451
08-05-2002, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr>. . .I just want to know how he got the "tilde" over the "n" in Pinata. ha ha ***Lester***<hr></blockquote>If you are running windows, then you probably have the "Character Map" installed. If you can't find it, it should be installable from your Windows CD-ROM.

For Win2K, you would go START&gt;&gt;Programs&gt;&gt;Accessories&gt;&gt;System Tools&gt;&gt;Character Map The utility will open. It's pretty straight-forward to understand, but there is also a 'Help" button if you need it.

I can't recall if it's the same for the other Win flavors, but you can search for "Character Map" or "charmap.exe".

====================