PDA

View Full Version : What are your rules of life for pool

08-01-2002, 03:02 PM
Sid's post got me thinking about what my rules of life for pool are. Here's some of mine originals (still a work in progress, but I'm working on it.) What are yours?

1. If your opponent acts up during a match, don't be angry with them. Pity them, because they have a lot to learn. Then show them how to win by example.

2. If you're not having fun during a match, do absolutely everything in your power to turn that around, (without sharking your opponent, of course). Misery in a match rarely leads to success.

3. Learn to expect things correctly. Expecting to play great is a formula for disaster. Expecting to give 100% and to never give up is all you can ask of yourself.

4. Be flexible. Something is bound to come up that you've never seen before.

5. Appreciate those who root for you and who are in your corner. In pool as in life, being indifferent towards those who genuinely care about you is a tragedy.

Fran

Doctor_D
08-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Good afternoon:

In their simplest form, my rules of life for pool are as follows:

1. Have Fun

2. Shoot Well

3. Learn One Thing New With Each Match and/or Tournament

4. Kick Butt !!!

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

bluewolf
08-01-2002, 03:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Sid's post got me thinking about what my rules of life for pool are. Here's some of mine originals (still a work in progress, but I'm working on it.) What are yours?

1. If your opponent acts up during a match, don't be angry with them. Pity them, because they have a lot to learn. Then show them how to win by example.

2. If you're not having fun during a match, do absolutely everything in your power to turn that around, (without sharking your opponent, of course). Misery in a match rarely leads to success.

3. Learn to expect things correctly. Expecting to play great is a formula for disaster. Expecting to give 100% and to never give up is all you can ask of yourself.

4. Be flexible. Something is bound to come up that you've never seen before.

5. Appreciate those who root for you and who are in your corner. In pool as in life, being indifferent towards those who genuinely care about you is a tragedy.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

For you serious types out there who get tense or upset in a game. Here is a mantra.

"It is a game. Games are fun."

bluewolf

9 Ball Girl
08-01-2002, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

1. If your opponent acts up during a match, don't be angry with them. Pity them, because they have a lot to learn. Then show them how to win by example.<hr></blockquote>

You're right about that one. I played this guy last night that missed a fairly easy shot. He got pissed off and kicked the bottom of his cue and the shaft came back and smacked him on the head. It was too funny. We both looked at each other and started laughing. I won the match but after that smack on his head from his own shaft, he was definitely more relaxed. After I won, I went over to the bar (BCA League night), bought him a beer and an ice pack for his cue! It was all in good fun.

SPetty
08-01-2002, 03:49 PM
My very favorite rule of life for pool I learned right here at CCB:

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

I'm sorry I can't remember who said that and who to give credit for, but it has saved me a few times!

Wally_in_Cincy
08-01-2002, 03:50 PM
I have one new personal rule I learned a couple weeks ago.

1. If it's APA league night and your coach happens to be your girlfriend because it's midnight and everyone else went home and she calls a coaching timeout, you should not refuse it. Cause if you miss the shot after refusing a timeout you'll hear about it every day for a week (and rightfully so) LOL

I did win the match at least.

SpiderMan
08-01-2002, 03:57 PM
"Time spent playing pool does not get deducted from your natural lifespan." - SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
08-01-2002, 04:03 PM
Good idea Fran,
To add some of my "rules"

1. Never offer un-solicited advice.

2. Watch pool more often. You can really learn from other's mistakes

3. Most pool players are good people, they just might not know it yet.

4. Pool Hall owners need to learn more about their customers.

5. Always take care of your cue, case and accessories. When you need them the most, they will be there for you.

6. Trust what you know, accept the results and always go thru your pre-shot routine.

p.s. (thanks SPetty)

"Do all your thinking STANDING UP"

SPetty
08-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Hi Tom,

I've been waiting for you to check in with the "Do all your thinking standing up" rule! Helps me a lot.

SPetty
08-01-2002, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> "Time spent playing pool does not get deducted from your natural lifespan." <hr></blockquote>Hi Spidey,

I've got a sign just like that on the wall near my pool table!

SPetty~~~great minds think alike!

Tom_In_Cincy
08-01-2002, 04:13 PM
I am embarassed.. to have forgotten that..

I edited my orginal post.. thanks SPetty

Ryan
08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
My rules of life for pool are simple as well:

1. Enjoy your victories as you never know when your next one will be.

2. There is a valuable lesson in every loss that you experience. Make certain to learn from these lessons.

3. Enjoy and appreciate the people that you meet within the game. Pool draws a wide variety of characters and each is interesting in his/her own way.

4. Never stop learning. Once you stop learning, you stop improving.

5. Be free with advice with those that seek it, and do not force advice upon those that do not.

6. People that ask you to play for money deserve to lose it.

Ryan

08-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Actually #9 from the humorous rules fits well, Never pass up an opportunity to pee. That little urgency gets put off until "just after this next rack" and then..."just after this next rack." Soon your game deteriates until you finally take care of business. You ever notice how well you shoot when you come back from that little journey???sid

08-01-2002, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> For you serious types out there who get tense or upset in a game. Here is a mantra.

"It is a game. Games are fun."

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

Its a game? Not to me its not...

08-01-2002, 05:14 PM
1. Aside from recognizing and taking advantage of your opponents weaknesses, it's you against the table. Ignore everything else.

2. Never bet more than you would be willing to give to a charitable orqanization.

3. Don't resort to cue abuse because you're not shooting well. It's not the cue's fault, it's yours.

4. Learn something today. Teach something today.

5. When things aren't going well and you can't seem to make the easiest shots, remember the three S's of pool. Smooth, Straight, Stroke.

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Hi Fran. I don't have very many yet, but like you, are still working on it.

1. Relax, and take deep breaths under pressure situations.

2. Ignore my opponent, it's me against the table, not him.

See, I told you I didn't have many, but this list will grow as I get better.

Heide

cheesemouse
08-01-2002, 05:18 PM
&lt; Prepare well
&lt;Never say die
&lt;Use chalk
&lt;Keep your eyes inside the rails
&lt;Speak softly and carry your stick on the balance point. hehheee
&lt;Pretend your in slow motion (ever watch Buddy Hall?)
&lt;Have fun playing well
&lt;Think'm up; shot'm down
&lt;Never be an a$$~~~~this is the toughest one /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
&lt;Play the best for the least
And the most important <font color=yellow>RIDE THE CHEESE</font color=yellow>

Voodoo Daddy
08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Here's a few;

1} Let them whine...thats their problem.

2} One ball at a time, never give up and shoot like your life depends on it.

3} When your turn at the table is over, ITS OVER. Leave the bad where it is and dont take it to the chair.

4} Never let a pool game determine your self-worth.{think about that awhile}

5} When your cue is together, you have no friends.

And finally,

6} If you play your game...whatever level it is and your having a good time, you've accomplished what you were there for.

Rip
08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
1. Make sure your car has plenty of gas and a fully charged battery.
2. Park close to the door of the pool room.
3. Be able to run a fast sprint from the door to the car.
4. Know how to drive like Andretti!
Rip~~knows how to make a getaway like the Roadrunner in the cartoons! Beep beep!

socrates
08-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Do whats right.
Do your best - give 100% effort at every endeavor.
Do unto others.

They answer three basic questions all human beings have of each other:

Can I trust you? - To do whats right.

Are you committed? - To do your best.

Do you care about me as a person?

Adopted these rules after hearing a Lou Holtz presentation and they have served me well. And of course one of my own -

Live life in the present moment and There are no ordinary moments.

Cueless Joey
08-01-2002, 06:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rip:</font><hr> 1. Make sure your car has plenty of gas and a fully charged battery.
2. Park close to the door of the pool room.
3. Be able to run a fast sprint from the door to the car.
4. Know how to drive like Andretti!
Rip~~knows how to make a getaway like the Roadrunner in the cartoons! Beep beep! <hr></blockquote>
1. Don't take your ATM card with you.
2. Don't play one-hole with a man who has one good ear.
3. If your opponent starts slip-stroking, it's time to slip out.
4. People with nicknames are to be avoided.
5. Double or nothing is only good when the cash is under the lights.
6. You don't go to Vegas and expect to gain money. You might gain weight specially if you love double-double.
7. Pool is like a box of chocolates. It's never good for you.
8. Life is like a 9-ball game. If your pattern is bad, your life will be bad.
9. Take care of your wife. She might decide which home care you go to someday.
10. Take care of yourself because you's you.

Barbara
08-01-2002, 07:31 PM
What a great post!! Leave it to you to come up with this, although, knowing you, I'm not surprised.

1. Don't abuse your equipment regardless of the situation, it just makes you look stupid and exposes your emotional side which can be used against you in a court of law AND a poolroom.

2. Regardless of whose equipment it is, don't complain about the rolls. They also affect your opponent. However, if you do see a major mechanical failure (lifted slate, big rip in the cloth), be polite in informing the owner of such.

3. Always thank a room owner for hosting a tournament.

4. Always offer to shake your opponent's hand after a tournament match. (Carol prefers hugs, but that's Carol /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif! )

5. Always call a ref over to watch a hit BEFORE it happens.

6. Always call a foul on yourself when you know you have done so. Yeah, so maybe your opponent wasn't watching, but if you believe in the Pool God, I'll guarantee you it was noticed and that it'll come back to bite you in your butt when you least want it to.

7. Always let me lag with the 7 ball. I always lose the lag with the 7 ball even though I think it's my lucky ball.

Barbara

PQQLK9
08-02-2002, 12:04 AM
This has always inspired me and sums up my own philosophy

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again".

Mahatma Ghandi

Rich R.
08-02-2002, 04:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SpiderMan:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; "Time spent playing pool does not get deducted from your natural lifespan." &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Hi Spidey,

SPetty~~~great minds think alike! <hr></blockquote>
I have the same sign. Rich R.~~~great mind?????

Rich R.
08-02-2002, 04:38 AM
My rules for life and pool:

1. Have fun. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
2. Play your best. You may play better some days than others, but always make the effort to play your best at the time.
3. Always respect the equipment.
4. Be a courteous loser.
5. Be a more courteous winner.
6. It ain't over, until it's over. (Thanks to Yogi)
7. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. (Scott is too gracious to say "stupid", but I'm speaking to myself here. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif
8. Have fun. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm sure there are a few more that I have forgotten. Rich R.

jjinfla
08-02-2002, 06:05 AM
Must be a dull day at the Fran household. You are back stirring up the troops again with another provacative post. Provacative in that it is thought provoking. As for #1. When that happens I smile, for then I know he is afraid of me and winning is just a matter of going thru the motions. The madder he gets the better I like it. Jake

rackmup
08-02-2002, 06:37 AM
Great thread!

Mine are simple but are prefaced with this:

Life is too short and the "good times" are often interrupted by outside influences. Too much time spent on the "negative" allows precious time to pass that can never be recovered. Deal with the negative issues and get back to enjoying the abbreviated time we have on this planet. With that said, my "Rules of Life for Pool" are:

<ul type="square">
Know your limitations and accept them.
Play better players, not necessarily to beat them (although that is always fun), but to learn from them.
Shake hands with your opponent, win or lose.
Give your opponent the table when it is his/her "inning". Sit quietly, out of the way. It is what you expect when you are at the table.
Acknowledge a good shot with polite acclaim.
Respect the table, your equipment and those around you.
A "Good Sport" is always fondly remembered, a poor one is simply tolerated.
It is a game, for fun or profit, win or lose. I promise tomorrow, the sun will rise and a new game can be played.
Make friends in the pool room, especially the "regulars". They will be there for you when you need to talk about subjects other than "What do you think is the best laminated tip for my multi-spliced break/jump shaft?"
At some point, when the pool day is done, during a quiet moment, thank God (or whoever you thank) for yet another glorious day, lived in freedom, in the greatest country in all of the world and hope for an even better one tomorrow.
[/list]

Regards,

Ken (learning to appreciate all of his friends and his life a little more each day)

=k=
08-02-2002, 06:37 AM
darn after reading all these posts it makes me realize i may be on the wrong track again.. so far all i think when playing someone else, is don't beat myself...i seem to be my worst opponent.. k

Wally_in_Cincy
08-02-2002, 09:09 AM
"Enjoy the precious present" - Rick Pitino

"When you score, don't showboat. Act like you've been there" - Paul Brown

"The most overrated quality in athletes is 'the will to win'. The most underrated quality in athletes is 'The will to prepare to win' ". - Bobby Knight

08-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Think I already told you my best one, Fran: observe, don't judge. Does wonders for keeping you calm. Works brilliantly away from the pool table too. More Zen! GF

08-02-2002, 10:33 AM
Well said Ken!!!; and not even a hint of your usual satire, irony, parody, vitriol. Should I add "scathing commentary" to the list? I should add, however, "always interesting"

08-02-2002, 11:12 AM
George, that would be a good one to tell the Judge in traffic court. "Your Honor, please....just observe me. Don't judge me."

Sounds like it would work well for competition, though. Thanks.

Fran

rackmup
08-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Hey, give me credit. I'm trying to "re-invent" myself, with the goal to be a kinder, gentler, rackmup.

Regards,

Ken

PoolFan
08-02-2002, 12:32 PM
One rule that I always follow.

I never wish my opponent good luck at the beginning of our match. I always say, "Play well". I feel like a hypocrite wishing someone good luck and when they get lucky, I get angry. If my opponent beats me, I want it to be because they played well and I also want whoever I'm playing to bring their best game to the table. I believe I got this rule from an article in Billiards Digest many years ago and I've always followed it.

This thread has a lot of good rules to follow. Some of them are very difficult to follow, but we'd all be better off if could.

Chris Cass
08-02-2002, 12:38 PM

SpiderMan
08-02-2002, 12:59 PM
It's just true, that's all. If you could live in the pool hall, you'd never grow old.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SPetty:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: SpiderMan:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; "Time spent playing pool does not get deducted from your natural lifespan." &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Hi Spidey,

SPetty~~~great minds think alike! &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
I have the same sign. Rich R.~~~great mind????? <hr></blockquote>

John in NH
08-02-2002, 02:44 PM
You've done it again Fran, another great post.

My rules of life for pool are not much different than yours, in addition to yours I have two more rules which are "Preparation", "Gambling":

Prepare yourself to win, if your not prepared you will lose.
To put matters into perspective, if I am playing against someone of equal ability, I can expect to win or lose my matches 50% of the time, whether I win or lose is not as important as how I play the game.

I play the game to have fun, if I'm not having any fun, I will quit playing and move on.

Another ingredient that I want to add to your list is "gambling", I have a rule that I will not play for more than the cost of a drink, or the time on a pool table. I don't consider playing pool for money (gambling), usually someone always has an edge. In my experience, in most cases the people who like to gamble on pool are the ones who can least afford it.

Regards,

John

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid Vicious:</font><hr> You ever notice how well you shoot when you come back from that little journey???sid <hr></blockquote>

And a long those same lines....

Never, EVER, chalk your cue before you mis-cue..

NH_Steve
08-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow, gotta like a Ghandi quote in a pool/billards BB!!!

08-03-2002, 10:02 AM
Fran, a great idea for a thread. I agree with yours and would add the following:

1) Show the utmost respect for your opponent at all times - regardless of their skill level. That goes for those who are playing on an adjacent table as well. Also, respect the equipment and abide by the rules of the game at all times.

2) As far as opponents who do not show you the same respect and courtesys, it is our job and duty to (as nicely as possible) inform and teach those that are honestly ignorant of the proper etiquettes, as well as to NOT tolerate those who do know better and are trying to shark you.

3) Every shot on a pool table during a match/game (no matter how seemingly simple) should be respected and given your 100% undivided focus and concentration. Any shot can be missed!

4) As far as the really crucial shots that come up late in a match, (that may make the difference between winning and losing) they should be approached no differently than any other shot. Trust and have confidence in your stroke, your preparation, and stick to your pre-shot routine.

5) You can tell alot about a person in how they handle winning a big match. However, you can tell even more about a person in how they deal with a dissappointing loss.

6) Don't let the "luck" factor - good or bad luck on the part of yourself or your opponent get to you. The pool gods will ensure that over the long run the more skilled player will be rewarded - even in 9-ball. - Chris in NC

Mike H
08-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Great post, Fran. Here are some of mine:

1. Believe in yourself.
2. Just as importantly, believe in your opponent. Underestimation can be deadly.
3. Sometimes the balls are going to tell you that you will not win tonight.
4. Show your opponent respect at all times. If your opponent does not do the same for you, may the pool gods pee on their head.

And most importantly:
5. "Know yourself. Know the game. Respect the game." -- Jose Garcia

NH_Steve
08-06-2002, 05:23 AM
Accept what the table offers: you gotta know when to shoot &amp; when to play safe...

jjinfla
08-06-2002, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PoolFan:</font><hr> One rule that I always follow.

I never wish my opponent good luck at the beginning of our match. I always say, "Play well". I feel like a hypocrite wishing someone good luck and when they get lucky, I get angry. If my opponent beats me, I want it to be because they played well and I also want whoever I'm playing to bring their best game to the table. I believe I got this rule from an article in Billiards Digest many years ago and I've always followed it.<hr></blockquote>

That's one thing I never could understand when I started playing in tournaments. My opponent wishing me "good luck". When I'm sitting in the chair I'm wishing my opponent everything but "good luck". Like, "hang that 9 ball". Or, "okay, you can miss now so I can run out". LOL Jake~~~when I slop in a "lucky" shot I think to myself "he got his wish".

08-06-2002, 10:57 AM
I apply my "rules of life" to pool, hence I do not have a different set to give you. Here they are anyway:
1. Kindness is the most important gift you can give. I call it a gift because so few practice it anymore.
2. If you've got something, and someone else needs it more than you do, give it to them.
3. Enjoy what you are doing, or don't do it.
4. Love with your whole heart. Try not to waste time on hate and pettiness.
5. Don't Lie, Cheat, or Steal. I'm currently having a problem with this one, but knowing the problem is half the solution, right?

Be good to each other, folks. It truly is it's own reward!!

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr>
2. If you've got something, and someone else needs it more than you do, give it to them.
<hr></blockquote>

so true /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Very admirable post, Lorri.

Oh, just one thing...

"2. If you've got something, and someone else needs it more than you do, give it to them."

Does that include ball-in-hand?

Fran (just kidding)

Kato
08-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Lorri, one word, WOW!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif. You don't see that everyday.

Fran, I doubt Lorri gives up ball in hand. I guarantee you that I will give her puppy dog eyes to get it if I can.

Kato~~~needs ball in hand 6 times per rack

Lester
08-06-2002, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> 5. Don't Lie, Cheat, or Steal. I'm currently having a problem with this one, but knowing the problem is half the solution, right?

<hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Lorri, exactly which part of #5. are you having problems with? ***Lester***

Rich R.
08-06-2002, 11:59 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lorri:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
I'm sorry Lorri, I'm not giving up my Scruggs cue, just yet. I don't care how much any one needs it.
Rich R.~~~needs to learn to use it, before he gives it up.

bluewolf
08-06-2002, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lorri:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
I'm sorry Lorri, I'm not giving up my Scruggs cue, just yet. I don't care how much any one needs it.
Rich R.~~~needs to learn to use it, before he gives it up. <hr></blockquote>

ha. nobdy 'needs' my cue. there is a difference between need and want

bluewolf

Kato
08-06-2002, 02:39 PM
I NEED Chris Cass's Southwest. I NEED Voodoo's Searing. I NEED to figure out the best scam possible to land both of them.

Kato~~~need vs want. It's all about needing.

Vicki
08-06-2002, 08:04 PM
Hi there,

My rule isn't as zen-like as some but it is important none the less.

Don't ever buy a new shirt without taking a dry practice shot in the fitting room. Either you can't move your arms freely or your boobs show. Never fails.

08-06-2002, 08:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Very admirable post, Lorri.

Oh, just one thing...

"2. If you've got something, and someone else needs it more than you do, give it to them."

Does that include ball-in-hand?

Fran (just kidding)
<hr></blockquote>

hahahahaha Now that's funny!

08-06-2002, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Lorri:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; 5. Don't Lie, Cheat, or Steal. I'm currently having a problem with this one, but knowing the problem is half the solution, right?

&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Lorri, exactly which part of #5. are you having problems with? ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

Well Lester, the Lie part, but I'm not going to bore everyone with the lurid details. Since it's mostly myself I'm hurting, I don't feel too terribly bad about it.
Oh, and Kato, you give me puppy dog eyes, I can almost guarantee I'll give you ball in hand!

Barbara
08-06-2002, 08:22 PM
Vicki,

One time I did the "stroke motion" outside the dressing room because it was too confining. Never again!! I was explaining that action to too many people!!

Barbara~~~buys and tries at home now...

08-06-2002, 08:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vicki:</font><hr> Hi there,

My rule isn't as zen-like as some but it is important none the less.

Don't ever buy a new shirt without taking a dry practice shot in the fitting room. Either you can't move your arms freely or your boobs show. Never fails. <hr></blockquote>

hahahahahaha!!! Now THIS is a girl I can relate to!!

(Lorri's boobs are constantly popping out!)

08-07-2002, 05:32 AM
Don't brag about your victories; triumph is vanity. Don't whine about your losses; whining is disappointed vanity.

Forget your own face. Give your full attention to the world and to the actions you perform.