PDA

View Full Version : A pool etiquette post

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
A very long while ago on AZ, Steve (Lipsky) posted he was playing a match,they took a break,went to the mens room,Steve washed his hands and noticed his opponent didnt,so, when they finished the game,Im not sure if the opponent went to shake Steves hand or not ,but,the question was what to do ? LMAO-(I edited this)
I was just curious how other gentlemen here would have handled this situation? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

dg-in-centralpa
12-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Carol,
If I wouldn't have been in with the opponent, I wouldn't have known. But here in PA. we're taught not to pi$$ on our hands. LOL Seriously, I'm not sure what I would have done.

DG

Billy_Bob
12-30-2007, 10:11 AM
I would have shook hands.

Note that most men (around my area at least) do not wash their hands after using the restroom. Also in my area there are a lot of men who have dirty hands due to their work; cars, construction, logging, etc.

I do wash my hands after using the restroom, after playing pool to get the chalk off my bridge hand, and before eating.

So no big deal to me.

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Note that most men (around my area at least) do not wash their hands after using the restroom <hr /></blockquote>

No kidding? Interesting.hmmmmmm...
I think the "Howie Mandel" shake, where he fistpounds, may be appropriate /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif-maybe this is why he doesnt shake hands,ha ha ha
Carol

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Duane,
You have me cracking up-I can hear you saying this /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But here in PA. we're taught not to pi$$ on our hands <hr /></blockquote>
But I bet you were allowed to pee in the snow? ha ha ha
Carol

JohnnyP
12-30-2007, 11:14 AM
dg: I read a story that Americans wash after going, the French was before going, and the English was both before and after.

Billy_Bob
12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>No kidding? Interesting.hmmmmmm...
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes. This is of course a big problem for food service workers and public health. That is why they are now making "hand washing monitors" for food service workers....

Like this...
http://www.cleanhands.biz/products.htm

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is of course a big problem for food service workers and public health <hr /></blockquote>
Um,yes, I could see that!
Is that a real system? If so,thank goodness someone thought of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Btw, I noticed your in Oregon-its very beautiful there!
Have a nice New Year!
Carol
Carol

Billy_Bob
12-30-2007, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>Is that a real system? If so,thank goodness someone thought of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Btw, I noticed your in Oregon-its very beautiful there!
Have a nice New Year! <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you! Actually it rains and rains in Oregon this time of year, so it will be "more nice" in the spring!

As to the system, yes it is real. The food industry can't afford to have contaminated food. A recall or customers getting sick can wreck their reputation and cost millions of dollars. So they make darn sure everything is sanitary. (A good thing!)

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I read somewhere that you are far more "germy" from touching about everything else besides your personals,,, door knobs, keyboards, pool cues and cue balls, and washing your hands is more important BEFORE you whip it out to whiz rather than after. Personally I never even consider not shaking hands unless the person is obviously sickly.

Besides, in the pool scene, sluvenly is more the norm. No biggie IMO.

NOW, if a stench of odor emminated before they left the can and they didn't wash, that'd be far different. You see, the ladies always go in a stall and you never know the extent of "the job", SO Y'ALL WASH EVERYTIME PLEASE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sid

JohnnyP
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I shook hands with Efren after he came out of the men's room at Shooters a couple years ago. Shirley said afterwards "He didn't wash his hands." I didn't care. I always wash, though.

bradb
12-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Carol, never let anyone take the Qball to the mens room with them, some men like to rub it in certain areas for good luck.... don't beleive me, why do you think the referee always wears gloves! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha-Now THATS funny,ha ha ha!
Thanks , I'll remember that,ha ha ha
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NOW, if a stench of odor emminated before they left the can and they didn't wash, that'd be far different <hr /></blockquote>
Hi Sid,
Oh my goodness,Im cracking up-your too funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SO Y'ALL WASH EVERYTIME PLEASE! sid
<hr /></blockquote>
WELL-SAID!

Carol

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually it rains and rains in Oregon this time of year, so it will be "more nice" in the spring!
<hr /></blockquote>
Thats why its so GREEN- but when that sun comes out,BEAUTIFUL /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif-and the people are wonderful,too!

[ QUOTE ]
A recall or customers getting sick can wreck their reputation and cost millions of dollars. So they make darn sure everything is sanitary. (A good thing!)

Oh, hell yeah! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks for your input!
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Oregon is nice country, I had a vacation there back in the 80's to visit a friend, and yes it rained but then it stopped and low flung clouds and the landscape jumped into your eyes. Besides, when it rained there were indoor activities, bars sold inexpensive beer, pool tables were a quarter a game, and hey! even sid got laid. Wonderful self made vacation if I have to say so myself...sid

nAz
12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
hey babe, hows it hanging?

i always fist pound... mostly cause i find my opponents hands clammy after a long match... eww i have that feeling.

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Cuteypie,,
I miss you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i always fist pound... mostly cause i find my opponents hands clammy after a long match... <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, that sounds good-Steve was just so funny when he told me this at Amsterdam-too funny,ha ha ha!

Hey, hows your house?Do you like it here or do you miss Bklyn?
Have a happy New Year /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, when it rained there were indoor activities, bars sold inexpensive beer, pool tables were a quarter a game and hey! even sid got laid. <hr /></blockquote>
Ha Ha Ha Sid,
Now you went and done it-you stuck me with a visual,ha ha ha-I'll be thinking of you next time Im in Oregon,ha ha ha

Have a wonderful New Year!
Carol~you guys are killing me,ha ha ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Actually, I was not allowed to pee in the snow. I do now. The house I live in is a bi-level with a finished lower level where the pool table and poker table are. When I have people over to play poker, we just walk out the patio door and pee in the yard. If it's something heavier...well then you go upstairs. My backyard is so secluded that I can pee in the yard during the day all summer and no one knows it. Oh well... too much info.

Duane

nAz
12-30-2007, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Cuteypie,,
I miss you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
i always fist pound... mostly cause i find my opponents hands clammy after a long match... <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, that sounds good-Steve was just so funny when he told me this at Amsterdam-too funny,ha ha ha!

Hey, hows your house?Do you like it here or do you miss Bklyn?
Have a happy New Year /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>

ahh it's good I like that fact that i have a garage and no more mortgage /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do not miss Crooklyn too much since i still work and play there, basically i just sleep at home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW Im supposed to go to House of billiards tonight wanna meet up and shoot some, i'll be there around 7pm. pm for my # my back needs cracking /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ahh it's good I like that fact that i have a garage and no more mortgage <hr /></blockquote>
Outstanding-Im so happy for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
BTW Im supposed to go to House of billiards tonight wanna meet up and shoot some <hr /></blockquote>
I can't-I have my grandson-but, any future Friday or Saturday-please let me know-we'll bang out the new year and do our drinks like we did in VF,okay? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey, did you see the Giants last night?OMG

Have a great New Year!
Carol

CarolNYC
12-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Duane,
Your crazy,crazy,crazy,ha ha ha!~
Peeing is okay-but, "Don't you eat that yellow snow!"
Ha ha ha
Carol

nAz
12-30-2007, 04:24 PM
cool hopefully we will hook up /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif before the next VF.

ya great game... still sad about the out come but what the hell they did play hard.

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Back when I had a fiance(sp?), visited the mom and dad the first time in Mesa AZ, country living too, she flipped when I said I'd leaked outside(my self given admission, so much for truthfullness.) Heck, between Texas and Arkansas, I pee'd in about every corner. Strange woman, wonder why she left me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif sid~~~has his own house now, a pool table and a grand, secluded patio to dampen the ground at will

dg-in-centralpa
12-30-2007, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>
Peeing is okay-but, "Don't you eat that yellow snow!"
Ha ha ha
Carol

<hr /></blockquote>

So says Frank Zappa, and I agree.

Duane

pooltchr
12-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Carol,
Of course we pee in the snow! How do you think most young boys learn how to write their name? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
If that's how I learned, I'd be terrified. I might've only learned to spell LWW. Even Carol or gayle could do that one in the snow, both hands tied behind her back /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif sid

wolfdancer
12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I wash my hands, then use the paper towel to turn the doorknob if there is one....think of the many folks that don't wash theirs....
Problem is that gets rid of all the natural skin oils, and now the shaft sticks in my hand (the cue shaft)...so I grab a paper napkin sometimes and use it as a "glove" until the dryness goes away.
I'm playing in a tournament once, using the napkin, and the other guy wanted me disqualified for doing that....AND, he was wearing a glove.(and this didn't even happen in a New York Barroom)
My defense was....I couldn't afford a real glove on SS

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Seriously, I have a co-worker whom won't open a door by the handle, and in the men's room, honest to God, washes his hands under hot water for many, many minutes, until his hands are absolutely as red as a lobster. That is weird, at least to me. You may wonder, "Why does Sid know this?" well sometimes it just gets to be a wonderment, besides the fact that I have a shy kidney. Believe me, there's others besides me that chatter about the dude's ways. Life at work, what can I say...sid

CarolNYC
12-31-2007, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wash my hands, then use the paper towel to turn the doorknob if there is one <hr /></blockquote>
Ha HA-I like that detail of "doorknob if there is one" ha ha ha-everythings push these days,if that-I do that in public places,too-people sneeze in their hands,then touch the rails,wipe their noses,etc........
Usually when children start school,the hands are the way they get sick-not washing before eating-
Im a sicko when it comes to that "Dont touch your food unless you wash your hands!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't afford a real glove on SS <hr /></blockquote>
Well, if you need one,I have pleanty /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have a great one!
Carol

CarolNYC
12-31-2007, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
washes his hands under hot water for many, many minutes <hr /></blockquote>
Sid,
Your "suppose" to wash your hands to the tune of the "alphabet song" and when your done singing it,your hands are done-for real-it was on a tv special,ha haha!

[ QUOTE ]
You may wonder, "Why does Sid know this <hr /></blockquote>

I think you have a great sense-of-humor and you crack me up-
Thanks for the smile! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
12-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Steve,
Could you please describe ,in detail, the motion and velocity upon execution of this skill,any rotation or acceleration or increased pressure and what is the gravitional pull as it hits the snow in its exact spot and does not spread throughout,leaving the perfect name.........LMAO!

Ha ha ha ha-no,no,Im just KIDDING! Im just being silly /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a wonderful day /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
12-31-2007, 05:49 AM
We will /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yeah, they played good but the Pats played better-65 yard pass-cm'on now /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

dg-in-centralpa
12-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Sid,
I didn't know women could write in the snow, I thought all they could do was scribble? LOL At least the ones I was with weren't as talented.

DG

pooltchr
12-31-2007, 08:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Steve,
Could you please describe ,in detail, the motion and velocity upon execution of this skill,any rotation or acceleration or increased pressure and what is the gravitional pull as it hits the snow in its exact spot and does not spread throughout,leaving the perfect name.........LMAO!

Ha ha ha ha-no,no,Im just KIDDING! Im just being silly /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a wonderful day /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Carol,
As in pool, some things are more difficult to explain in a forum such as this. My recommendation is to find a qualified instructor to assist you in exploring this concept!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
JK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

Billy_Bob
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ...and the people are wonderful,too! <hr /></blockquote>

Yes the people in Oregon are wonderful, however if you beat them in a pool tournament, the "wonderfulness" will end with a quickness! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heretic
12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Note that most men (around my area at least) do not wash their hands after using the restroom <hr /></blockquote>

No kidding? Interesting.hmmmmmm...
I think the "Howie Mandel" shake, where he fistpounds, may be appropriate /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif-maybe this is why he doesnt shake hands,ha ha ha
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

I have a great deal of respect for Howie Mandel. He has admitted that he is obsessive compulsive about germs and cleanliness. For him to successfully deal with that in the position he is in, is inspirational.

Now in answer to the question......I grew up on a cattle ranch, and used to be an avid hunter....I have had a lot worse than a little urin on my hands, and lived through it. I would rather do the honorable thing and shake hands. After all I can go wash my own hands afterwards