PDA

View Full Version : Did 1,200 or 1,500 beat 526?

phil in sofla
08-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Saw the May vintage Mosconi high run in straight pool thread resurface. As to that question, will anyone beat that run, supposedly someone has beaten it already, and shattered it, either doubling it or tripling it.

Now, I don't know this to be true, but I was told last week in the ph that both Guinness and Ripley's list the record for straight pool balls run to be at least 1,200, and maybe the guy told me 1,500. Supposedly, it is a young 20-ish Puerto Rican, or something along those lines.

Anyone hear of this alleged record? I must have missed it somewhere. Haven't checked either records keeping organization to see if they do list this guy with that number, but I'm curious is anyone has heazd of it, and if maybe there's some qualification to it that makes it not a breaking of the Mosconi record.

phil in sofla
08-01-2002, 06:04 PM
Ripley's website had nothing I could find on this. Still haven't looked at Guinness.

Q-guy
08-01-2002, 07:46 PM
I am pretty sure that is a record for most balls run in an hour. Misses don't count, they just shoot balls in for an hour and see how many they have made. Mike Massy by the way, did around 11,000 in 24 hours. He almost never took a break and was on his feet the whole time. It is done playing straight pool but, as I said, misses don't count.

Q-guy
08-01-2002, 07:51 PM
If you want to try something. Set up a break shot, have someone time you and see how fast you can run a rack. I can do it in under a minute many times. Under a minute is much harder then you would think.

nAz
08-01-2002, 11:36 PM
G-Quy under a min. with out missing? dude u rule. it take me atleast 1 min to chalk up /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Q-guy
08-02-2002, 07:15 AM
No, you are allowed to miss. The problem with missing though is, it eats up time. You can't shoot when balls are moving. The trick is to walk around as little as posable and don't go all over the place with the cue ball. Often you bank a ball that is on a rail across from you, rather then take the time to try to get position to shoot it down the rail. You do run a lot of racks without missing but it is not required. In Europe they have competitions in speed shooting at a lot of their tournament as a side thing along with the tournament. That is where I learned how to do it. You can't do it to much though, it will ruin your game.

phil in sofla
08-02-2002, 09:53 AM
Under a minute?!?!?!

I'm lucky to get out in 2 1/2 minutes. Unless I really rush myself, I'm looking at 3 minutes, and that's shooting about as fast as I'm comfortable with. Although I haven't tried it since changing a few things, so maybe I'd be faster now, but still, I cannot imagine paring my previous best by 50%.

Q-guy
08-02-2002, 10:12 AM
You are just doing it for the sake of doing it. It not a recommended type of play. In fact it will ruin you game if you do it to much.

08-02-2002, 10:20 AM
There's a rumor around that Efren recently ran 590, Phil, but it's unconfirmed. As I mentioned when I brought this up a column or two ago, someone has to witness the entire run before it can be considered legit. Other claims to having exceed Mosconi's run include Ohio's Tom Parker (642), NY's Mike Eufemia (625) and Art Cranfield (either 768 or 790, depending on which story you've heard). Back in the late '70s, a Sri Lankan named Mohammed Lafir posted an 869, but that proved to be at English Billiards, not pool (a reliable witness said he couldn't make a ball at pool).

I met Charlie Ursitti at the trade show; he knows more about Mosconi than any person on the earth, and he swears he watched the great man run 154 and quit for lunch, 294 and quit for dinner, and 42 racks plus the next break shot - that's 589 - and quit for the night without the slightest concern for going after 600 - this in 1979, when he was 65! GF

Never heard anything about any four-digit run, and frankly doubt we'll be seeing one any time soon. GF

9 Ball Girl
08-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Not only does it take Naz a minute to chalk up, he stands in a ridiculously hilarious position while he's doing it too. Cracks me up! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wendy~~I think Naz is trying to shark me /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

08-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Michael Eufemia holds the record for the greatest continuous run,pocketing 625 balls without a miss on February 2,1960 before a large crowd at Logan's Billiard Academy. Brooklyn, New York.