PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Laminated Cue Tips

9 Ball Girl
08-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Have any of you guys used this tip from Tiger? It's guaranteed to hold chalk well and it will NOT MUSHROOM. The ad boasts that several pros play with it, but IMO pros should be able to adjust to anything that they play with.

I'm replacing the tip on my Viking and came across this ad but would like to hear the opinion of some of you guys before I take the plunge.
Thanks!

SpiderMan
08-01-2002, 03:54 PM
NBG,

I don't know about the "will not mushroom" claim. Probably it will take longer and mushroom less than single-layer tips, but then there's probably a tradeoff as well. Talismans resist mushrooming OK, but they don't hold chalk well and some have shown a tendency to delaminate after a few months. I've used Moori mediums and not had mushrooming to any great extent, but they still need occasional attention on the walls and crown. I've heard that the Tiger Everest tips change hardness quite a bit as they break in. Don't know about Snipers, as 'Vegas in May was my first exposure to them.

One positive thing I have heard is that Tiger tips do not have any delamination problems.

After playing with what seems like a zillion different tips, I've come to the conclusion that none play better than a 50-cent triangle. And the triangle holds chalk better than any of them. The tradoff is that I change them more often, but I don't mind that in order to have my cue feel "just right".

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
08-01-2002, 05:08 PM
It costs more than the Everest from the same maker. I can't imagine ANY tip getting better than the Everest layered tip. I tried Sniper. I thought it was too soft. A friend of mine who likes hard tips thought his was too hard. He took it off. I did too. We both have Everest now and are very happy with it. Everest doesn't mushroom much.

08-01-2002, 07:47 PM
I don't know anything concerning the quality of Sniper laminated tips. However, I also have a viking cue and recently changed the tip to a hercules hard tip. I am extremely satisified with it. It has great consistency, and seems to hold its shape pretty well(tho, I have not had it long so will see how it goes.)The thing I like about this tip over the one that came on my viking cue, there seems to be a significant increase in the transfer of energy from the stick to the cue ball. With the hercules tip I can put a ridiculous amount of spin on the cue ball, and the tip is awesome for position play.

I have also played with talisman wb tips on a different cue, and I like the hercules tip way better than the talisman. I haven't paid too much attention as to how the hercules holds chalk, as I usually chalk up after every shot. I also assumed since it was a hard tip it's ability to hold chalk would be average at best. In anycase, I give the hercules two thumbs up.

If you are using a le pro tip, which is what came on my viking cue, I would imagine any multi-layer tip would work better... I find the le pro tips to be very inconsistent... Which bothered me greatly as my whole reasoning behind buying a cue is for consistency and dependability over house
cues.

Thierry Layani
08-01-2002, 09:54 PM
That's a funny thing because I heard that Talisman and Hercules were made by the exact same company. I always did find that they pretty much play and look the same.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

Thierry Layani
08-01-2002, 10:01 PM
I've been using the sniper since they came out (and even some of their previous versions) and I now personnaly consider they are of one the best tip on the market actually. Although I also like the everest a lot. The sniper is in fact softer than the everest but I find this interesting because usually laminated tips are quite hard. I have installed many tips for customers and up to now they've all been very satisfied with it. I do sell some in very small quantities if you're interested.
But as you said, a tip is a tip and pro players (and even the other ones) can practically adjust to anything. The main advantages playing with this tip is that they're comsistent and last quite a long time.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

SpiderMan
08-01-2002, 10:16 PM
I believe Tony posted that they used to make Hercules tips, and implied that they no longer do. So, I believe Talisman is made by the former maker of Hercules, but Hercules is now made elsewhere.

If you look at the Hercules and the Talisman Pro tips under a microscope, the Hercules appears more consistent in layering of the leather. The edges if the Talisman layers are wavy, showing inconsistent thickness across the tip. The Hercules layer edges are flat and straight, much like a Moori.

I haven't put a Sniper under a microscope, but if I had one one I'd post a 100X comparison.

SpiderMan

08-01-2002, 11:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Thierry Layani:</font><hr> That's a funny thing because I heard that Talisman and Hercules were made by the exact same company. I always did find that they pretty much play and look the same.

This could be somewhat true. However, the only talisman tips I have played with are the ones made from water buffalo. The hercules tip is made from pigskin leather.I prefer the hercules tip to the talisman water buffalo. I found the talisman wb to be less consistent, and not quite as hard. I know the talisman pro tip is also made from pigskin leather, so I suspect it may play very similar to a hercules tip. I have no experience with the talisman pro tip, and don't have information concerning the companies that manufacter any of these tips. However, all these tips are readily availably if you look around on various websites. I bought my hercules tip through www.billiardfanatic.com (http://www.billiardfanatic.com)

In the end all I can say is I enjoy the play of a hercules hard tip to a much greater degree than a talisman wb hard tip(i'm pretty sure it was a hard tip in reference to the talisman wb, but I could be wrong. My memory is worse than a goldfish.)In addition the talisman wb was on an action cue; the hercules tip is on a viking cue. I also prefer the viking cue to the action cue, so this may way in on my opinion as well.

Soygordo

9 Ball Girl
08-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Mmm... interesting. My Viking came with a LePro soft tip, haven't really had any problems except for the mushroom factor over time. On my breakstick, however, I had a waterbuffalo tip on it, and after a couple of uses, it started to peel and shred, layer by layer until the whole thing popped off after a break. I wound up putting a LePro soft tip on my break cue as well.

SpiderMan
08-02-2002, 02:26 PM
NBG,

Not sure what you meant by a "LePro Soft" tip. To the best of my knowlege, they are not offered in different grades. Granted that manufacturing inconsistency makes some harder than others, but most of us still consider the LePro a medium to medium-hard.

The Triangles I have used seem to be about the same as the LePro in hardness, but the sound when hitting a ball is not quite as harsh. More of a "donk" than a "craack". Also, I think the triangles hold chalk a little better.

I just bought a box of water buffalos, and installed one on Sid V's spare McDermott shaft (it had a Talisman extra hard that had begun to separate). After a few hours of play, we were of the opinion that it hit and felt very similar to a LePro, but maybe just a little bit harder. Chalk-holding was similar to the triangle, because of the coarse fibers exposed on the crown, so it grabbed the ball really well. I'm not going to recommend WBs to my clients until I've had a little more experience and feedback from this installation.

You said that your water buffalo came apart "layer by layer", so I believe it must have been a different tip than the ones I am trying. Mine are not layered, they are a one-piece tip.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Mmm... interesting. My Viking came with a LePro soft tip, haven't really had any problems except for the mushroom factor over time. On my breakstick, however, I had a waterbuffalo tip on it, and after a couple of uses, it started to peel and shred, layer by layer until the whole thing popped off after a break. I wound up putting a LePro soft tip on my break cue as well. <hr></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
08-02-2002, 02:38 PM
I think you're right in that the LePros don't come in different grades. But for some reason when I mention to some people that I have a LePro tip, they ask whether it's a hard or soft tip. I always say that it's a medium/hard tip. But you're definitely right, though.

My WB was definitely a layered tip.

TonyM
08-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Why not try a Water Buffalo one piece tip on your break cue? The black WB tip is quite hard, and should give you a slightly better break than your Lepro tip.

I like the brown WB tips for playing cues (if you like a med hard to hard tip), but I agree that the triangle is a very good tip.

Tony