PDA

View Full Version : Fast Larry

S0Noma
12-31-2007, 09:28 AM
How many of you were around when Fast Larry posted here?

What was his story and what happened to him? Why doesn't he post here anymore?

Just curious.

Sonoma

sack316
12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I was around back then... but I better let someone else tell the stories.

Sack

DickLeonard
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Sonoma I have been on this board since the very begining what happened to Larry I don't know but they pulled the plug on him and he tried to come back using aliases and was banished again and again. I thought he found a home over at AZB they have a mental health unit there. Some people thought he stopped taking his medicine like LWW has.####

hondo
01-01-2008, 09:08 AM
He used to rant sometimes and sabotage threads, sometimes resorting to name-calling and salty language.
They banned him on here & AZB, and he would come back using aliases til caught each time.
Once on the old Playpool forum he had about 10 different aliases!
I posted a conversation between all his alter-egos on there once and he got really mad at me.
That said, he knew pool, had wonderful stories to tell.
and I miss him.
I led a movement once to get him re-instated on AZ but
I was in the minority who wanted him back.
Some of the old posters really hated him. I like him.

wolfdancer
01-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I liked FL, exchanged a few emails with him, and remain on his announcements list. He was a "little" cantankerous, but I found some humor behind his posts.

eg8r
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I was here and he was as beligerent as anyone could be. He blasted everyone who got in his way and soon enough the mods dumped him.

eg8r

eg8r
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
On the board I did not like him too much, however, after meeting him in person I definitely have a different opinion of him. He reminds me of every other man over 55, they all have stories, and the older they get the more extravagant the story gets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just joking, the only thing that got old real quick when playing some pool with FL (about 3 hours) was hearing him talk. It is just too hard to believe "all" of his stories but I love to hear a good story and he is a good story-teller.

eg8r

Qtec
01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
If you were sitting at the bar in a poolhall you would be wishing for a FL guy to sit down next to you and start a conversation. Pretty soon he would take over, he would have you in fits with his funny stories, trick shots etc. You would love him. I'm sure he is a fun guy to be with.
I've never met the guy but thats my impression of him. FL needs to be the one who is talking. He has done everything and knows everything etc ..and a lot of it is true, maybe all of it, who knows- thats why it goes wrong on forums. Eventually, he shouts everyone down. He has to be the belle of the Ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have read loads of FL's posts. A lot of them were very entertaining.

Q........Happy New Year Ed....and to all the guys / and Gals on the forums....
FL too.

wolfdancer
01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks for adding that here Ed...that was kind of how I imagined him to be....sort of a "Fats" type character.

dg-in-centralpa
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Check the archives and see if any of his posts are still available. According to FL, he was the best player who ever lived, bar none. Read his posts and follow ups and you'll find out just who FL is and how he treated people. I don't know of many here who got along with him.
It was nothing for him to make racist remarks and want to fight people. One day he met up with the wrong person.
DG

S0Noma
01-02-2008, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Check the archives and see if any of his posts are still available. According to FL, he was the best player who ever lived, bar none. Read his posts and follow ups and you'll find out just who FL is and how he treated people. I don't know of many here who got along with him.
It was nothing for him to make racist remarks and want to fight people. One day he met up with the wrong person.
DG <hr /></blockquote>

Debra LiStar?

dg-in-centralpa
01-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Debra and FL had their battles, but never went further than words. One of our members was called out by FL, and he took him up on the offer. That's as much as I will tell. If that person wants to finish the story, ok. Otherwise....

DG

Deeman3
01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
...but the Billiard's Expo will never be the same....

Not So Fast Larry thought someone said stand up when shut up was uttered.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There can be comparisons drawn between Fats and Larry in that both claimed outlandish accomplishments and while most overlooked and knew better with Fats, with the exception of Danny D. and Mosconi most didn't often call him on it.

FL has managed to insult most he has communicated with and, in addition, wage a war of unsolisited e-mails and phone calls late at night (something Fats probably never bothered with). My few problems with Larry is his constant put downs of other instructors and his claims of knowing all to the exclusion of other's input and opinions.

He may hold the world record for most rails on a table but his dog, Fart the Wonder Pig, seems to be the only one around him that has a personality suited to communications with humans and about the last person to love Larry's inner child, aside from our own tolerant Wolfdancer.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My hero did land a punch on him which gets my vote for President anytime....

Fran Crimi
01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Deeman, I think the greatest thing about Fats was that he wasn't trying to convince anybody that his claims were true. He was just an entertainer, pure and simple. I doubt that anyone would believe that he beat the Shah of Iran for his harem, or that whenever a bird pooped on his car, he bought a new one, or that he beat Mosconi for the cash.

Fats was the Don Rickles of the pool world. No one escaped being poked fun at by him, but everyone knew he was just doing his thing and not trying to convince everyone of his superior skills.

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
My hero did land a punch on him which gets my vote for President anytime....

I agree with you. I missed this by about 5 minutes. I came out of the pro arena right after it happened. Although I did try to talk him out of it earlier in the day, it was deserved.

DG

Wally_in_Cincy
01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> One day he met up with the wrong person.
DG <hr /></blockquote>

Debra LiStar? <hr /></blockquote>

Not her.

Larry, early in his forum life, was hurling insults at one of our long time posters, threatening him and insulting him. Well some days later when Larry was at the Super Billiards Expo for his exhibition this long time poster went to Larry, introduced himself, and said something to the effect of "Do you still wanna kick my ass?"

Larry's response was scream "SECURITY!! SECURITY!!" or something like that, from what I hear.

Larry did post some stuff that was kinda funny but he was so long-winded he pretty much took over the board. His late night posts were where the rascist stuff came out, and he was definitely a rascist. I assume he did that when he was hitting the sauce.

Deeman3
01-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Fran,

You are right. I had the pleasure of being entertained by him for much of his later life while he lived in Nashville. While he was never "offensive" in his story telling, he did get under a couple of legitimate player's skin like Deliberto, as an example. I know, and you know, he was just Fats, making a living the only way he could but if someone, on occasion, did challenge him on a story, he would just out talk them which, in itself, was priceless. I never saw him mad over an argument.

In addition, he was really entertaining and could hold an audience like no one before or since in pool. Of course, no matter the ease of most of us seeing through his stories, he was effective. Most non-players and more than a few amatuers would still swear today that he was the greatest player in pool history.

So, no matter how much we liked him, that was probably not fair to a great like Mosconi.

SKennedy
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Now this has been one heck of an ejoyable subject to read about. I really enjoy hearing about some of the former great players and their personalities, especially from those who actually knew them. Thanks guys for sharing this information with us. That's the thing about Pool players......there are some real characters out there who play it. Question is....which came first...the character or the game? I think the game just draws certain character traits, but so does any sport/game.

eg8r
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Happy New Year to you also.

eg8r

eg8r
01-02-2008, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy hearing about some of the former great players and their personalities, especially from those who actually knew them. <hr /></blockquote> I have no idea how "great" FL was back in the day but if you believe his stories he was the greatest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif He is pretty funny in real life but not so much on the forums.

#### and Fran Crimi (there are many others here on the board) probably have loads more stories to tell in addition to all the great ones that have shared over the years.

eg8r

hondo
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Deeman, I think the greatest thing about Fats was that he wasn't trying to convince anybody that his claims were true. He was just an entertainer, pure and simple. I doubt that anyone would believe that he beat the Shah of Iran for his harem, or that whenever a bird pooped on his car, he bought a new one, or that he beat Mosconi for the cash.

Fats was the Don Rickles of the pool world. No one escaped being poked fun at by him, but everyone knew he was just doing his thing and not trying to convince everyone of his superior skills.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

That's the way I saw Fats too, Fran.
You always saw the twinkle in his eyes.

Fran Crimi
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Very true, DeeMan. As I'm sure you know, the players back then were really making peanuts for all their great talent. It really irked some of them that Fats was getting all this great publicity and money to go along with it and they were practically starving.

But Mosconi was a prima donna. He had no sense of humor, at least I didn't see one. I never saw the man laugh. He was always complaining about something or another. Fats had his number and knew exactly how to get under Willie's skin. Watching Fats and Willie in the same room was like watching a train wreck in the making. Willie would get redder and redder until he couldn't take it anymore and then the arguing would start. One time they had to pull Willie off of Fats and I'm sure it wasn't the only time. Fats would just laugh.

Fran

JohnnyD
01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Fast Larry is a legend in pool..he has won more awards than any pool player..he even sells traing dvds..the one the only Fast Larry is available for instruction,,see his website..thats a fact

Deeman3
01-03-2008, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyD:</font><hr> Fast Larry is a legend in pool..he has won more awards than any pool player..he even sells traing dvds..the one the only Fast Larry is available for instruction,,see his website..thats a fact <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Larry???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color>

S0Noma
01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyD:</font><hr> Fast Larry is a legend in pool..he has won more awards than any pool player..he even sells traing dvds..the one the only Fast Larry is available for instruction,,see his website..thats a fact <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Larry???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Does Larry live anywhere near Elmhurst, IL?

Based on his IP location, Johnny does.

DickLeonard
01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Eg8r I am short time but I spent 3 1/2 days with FATS. 30 + hours of Fats talking and he never told the same lie Twice. As for Mosconi I heard he changed his mind about Fats. He never had made so much money in his life until Fats.####

Deeman3
01-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Fran,

I do, of course, have a few stories on Fats as I know you do.

The very first time I saw Fats was in about 1965 in Blythville Arkansas in Pastime Billiards. I was with my step father, who was and is a very good player. My step father, aside from pool, sold insurance to minorities in Northeastern Arkansas and picked up book for Junior Goff at the Blythville Air Base after Junior was barred from there for "collecting" in an inappropriate manner.

We had gone into Pastime on a Saturday and Junior was with Fats at a table playing gin rummy. When Pop told me that was Minnesota Fats, I didn't believe him. My picture of Fats was Jackie Gleason and at that tender age, for some reason, I just couldn't see this short fat guy as The Minnesota Fats. Pop would not normally let me sit with him and Junior because of Junior's language but as he knew I was curious about Fats, at least, he let me sit with them. The Arab was playing some guy golf on the street table and I sat there tearing off matches from a book and putting the heads into an ash tray. I know this sounds silly but I chewed the paper match sticks while they talked and kept putting the ends in the ash tray. Fats paid a little attention to me and told me a couple of stories which won me over for the rest of my life.

As Pop and Junior were finishing up their business, The Arab came over and crushed out his cigarette in the ash tray. The match tips flamed up and burned his fingers and you never heard the like of the words, threats and cursing that he did, all the time jumping around with his cue. "Who the ##### put gunpowder in the ####in' ash tray!"

For whatever reason, he blamed Fats for his burned fingers and Fats, who had damn well seen me tearing off the match heads, just laughed at him and said, "You always claimed to have the hottest hand in town, you Moron. That's what you get for smoking up my table."

Pop hustled me out of there and made me promise no to tell my Mom the words I had heard. We would see Fats every once in a while from then on but in every case, I never saw him shoot a ball for 20 years, with the possible exception of on TV. Much later I learned that while he liked Junior a lot, he could not stand the Arab and they had an ongoing battle for 20 years. By the way, that very same day I first saw Marshal Carpenter as he was the one playing the Arab. Of course, I did not know who he was at the time.

30 years later Fats would tell me those days in Arkansaw and Tennessee were the best of his whole life. He said he made more off Junior playing cards than the National Bank had money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SKennedy
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Northeast Arkansas? Ever hear of the big town of Williford? It is near the big city of Hardy. Great-grandmother lived in Williford, located on the Spring River.

Again, thanks for the stories.

dg-in-centralpa
01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyD:</font><hr> Fast Larry is a legend in pool.. <hr /></blockquote>

A legend in his own mind. Wonder dog has more energy and class than FL.

DG

Deeman3
01-03-2008, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Northeast Arkansas? Ever hear of the big town of Williford? It is near the big city of Hardy. Great-grandmother lived in Williford, located on the Spring River.

Again, thanks for the stories. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I have been to Hardy on a few occasions and have passed through the thriving metropolas of Williford many times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SKennedy
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
That makes 102 of us who have been thru there or know where it is.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have memories of learning how to make a bull-whip really "pop" and catching hundreds of fire-flies. Great-grandmother had a large white frame house on top of a hill overlooking the Spring River. Had an outhouse, but did have running water in kitchen. Why no bathroom? She claimed you don't do that sort of stuff under the same roof you eat!

hondo
01-03-2008, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyD:</font><hr> Fast Larry is a legend in pool..he has won more awards than any pool player..he even sells traing dvds..the one the only Fast Larry is available for instruction,,see his website..thats a fact <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Larry???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO! Makes one wonder??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hondo
01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for sharing, Dee.
LWW, see what this forum can be?
It doesn't have to be like it is.
Even Eg &amp; I get along reasonably well.
He's got a lot of upside.
Dee, Steve, Kennedy, Fran, are all great people
even if they are Republicans. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hondo
01-03-2008, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JohnnyD:</font><hr> Fast Larry is a legend in pool.. <hr /></blockquote>

A legend in his own mind. Wonder dog has more energy and class than FL.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! Wonder Dog will bite your ass on a pool table.
He's ruff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Great story, DeeMan. That scene in the poolroom with the guy burning his fingers could be in a movie. I loved Fats' response. He didn't miss a beat there.

One of my favorite stories about him was told to me by Mary Kenniston. She was playing in a World Championship 14.1 event. Both men and women's divisions were being played together. Fats noticed her sitting in the stands, crying. When he asked her what was wrong, she explained how humiliated she felt for playing so poorly in front of her peers.

Fats took her hand and led her to the tournament floor where he proceeded to waltz her around to the muzak piping through the system, right in the middle of all the matches. He told her to take a good hard look at all the two bit con men trying to look important in their monkey suits. How could she even think to worry about what they thought?

It created a scene, but Fats didn't care because he made Mary laugh.

Fran

eg8r
01-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Last time I saw him was just outside of Atlanta.

eg8r

dg-in-centralpa
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I will be careful. Valley Forge is coming soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DG

Deeman3
01-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Great story. Those things separate the real people from the pretenders. I can imagine how much Mary thinks of him. I always liked her, thought she was a nice lady. Fats had a good heart under the bluster.

Drop1
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Now that is a good story Deeman.

SKennedy
01-04-2008, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Great story, DeeMan. That scene in the poolroom with the guy burning his fingers could be in a movie. I loved Fats' response. He didn't miss a beat there.

He told her to take a good hard look at all the two bit con men trying to look important in their monkey suits. How could she even think to worry about what they thought?

Fran
<hr /></blockquote>

It would make a good movie scene, as would your story also. Good for Fats! He certainly told it like it was....
While we know there were better players, I think of Fats as being the "Babe Ruth" of pool.....because of the "character."

Eric.
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Try this website:

http://groups.google.com/group/larryguningerisaliar

Eric

Deeman3
03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

What a jerk he continues to be. Can you imagine giving away prises to the recently departed? Sorta gives the term Ghost Ball a new meaning.

dg-in-centralpa
03-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Two years ago at Valley Forge, FL was entered in the artistic competition, which is a series of disciplines, not the stuff you see on ESPN. FL hadn't won a single discipline and hardly scored any points and just dropped out.

DG

Deeman3
03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
DG,

I know about his game but I heard he not much of a fistfighter either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
He reminded me of Jerry Quarry, has a glass jaw. One punch and down he goes. When you coming up north again?

DG

hondo
03-27-2008, 05:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He reminded me of Jerry Quarry, has a glass jaw. One punch and down he goes. When you coming up north again?

DG </div></div>

Gerry Cooney might have had a glass jaw but Jerry Quarry didn't.
He took Ernie Shavers best shots and knocked Shavers out.
The only guy who knocked him off his feet was Joe Frazier
and Frazier knocked Ali down too.

Deeman3
03-27-2008, 07:15 AM
DG,

I'd come up there if you guys would let this global warming take hold a bit more. We had record cold temperatures night before last and my son in law in Harrisburg says it is still cold there. He's coming here for a visit next week.

I'll let you know if we make it up sometime during the Summer.

I'll stop by Atlanta and pick up F/L when I come. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-27-2008, 07:52 AM
If I remember correctly, my minds kinda fuzzy this morning, didn't Ali beat the crap out of Quarry? Maybe I was thinking of Cooney instead of Quarry. Too early in the morning to think so heavy....LOL

DG

dg-in-centralpa
03-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Sounds good to me. If you bring FL, I'll call Eric, and we can play as a foursome. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

DG