PDA

View Full Version : Anyone visited NO recently or live round there?

sack316
01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
considering the possibility of making my first mardi gras this year at the request of the little lady. Not sure if I will be able to, but just in case---I was wanting to see if anyone could give me some first hand verification on the status of the area. IE: would it be relatively safe, fun, and enjoyable... or would it be crummy with the need of some major firepower just in case? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I get to go I imagine it will be fine either way, but if I can't manage to take off of work that week I'd like to know it would be OK for her to go with her friends without me having to worry myself to death.

Any help is appreciated and happy new year all!

Sack

P.S. no need to carry this thread into any Bush or FEMA commentary, left vs. right arguments, or anything of the sort. Just an "OK" or "no go" will suffice... with perhaps some sort of first hand knowledge of the status of the area recently. Thanks!

heater451
01-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I haven't been there since pre-Katrina, but if you're only gonna be in the Quarter, it will probably still be worth it. I think the Quarter fared better than much of the rest of the city--at least, where flooding was concerned, as Jackson Square and the immediate area is, relatively, high ground, being on the banks of the Mississipi River.

In the past, I have had friends that have avoided Mardi Gras, in favor of Jazzfest, due to the overcrowding. Perhaps, with the idea of New Orleans being still trashed, fewer people will go.

One thing I will guarantee you, is even everything is trashed and you have a horrible time, you're gonna learn something. If they're still up and running, I would recommend a carriage ride, from Jackson Square, and you'll get some history. You will also be able to ask the driver first-hand, about the changes.

Oh, and if you get some beignets, remember to shake the paper bag, so the powdered sugar coats them evenly--and I hope you like oil!

If I had the money, I'd probably go this year.

Sorry, that I couldn't give an actual answer to your question, but just put my vote in the "GO" box.

============================

S0Noma
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> considering the possibility of making my first mardi gras this year at the request of the little lady. Not sure if I will be able to, but just in case---I was wanting to see if anyone could give me some first hand verification on the status of the area. IE: would it be relatively safe, fun, and enjoyable... or would it be crummy with the need of some major firepower just in case? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I get to go I imagine it will be fine either way, but if I can't manage to take off of work that week I'd like to know it would be OK for her to go with her friends without me having to worry myself to death.

Any help is appreciated and happy new year all!

Sack

P.S. no need to carry this thread into any Bush or FEMA commentary, left vs. right arguments, or anything of the sort. Just an "OK" or "no go" will suffice... with perhaps some sort of first hand knowledge of the status of the area recently. Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

We were there pre-Katrina. What we heard over and over again about the French Quarter was 'be careful where you walk - people get mugged, kidnapped and murdered there all the time'.

In order to reduce expenses we stayed in the small city of Metarie about ten minutes away from NO. There we discovered a small eatery called 'The Harbors' that had two dollar pitchers of beer and oysters for three bucks a dozen. Ten miles away in the French Quarter you could get the same beer and oysters for double the price. but... you gotta expect to pay something for ambiance, yes?

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2008, 06:15 PM
"at the request of the little lady"

You surely don't need a bunch of pool hounds to answer that question. You and your lady will hum very well together down there. I haven't been there since the 70's, but I have to say...my lady treated me very well /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There's just something about the atmosphere, maybe it's all that sultry humidity and rhythmic beating of jazz. Swill down a tall hurricane(drink) and report back. It's the lady's request, don't pass it up, cuz "the one you pass up, you can't catch up on" sid

sack316
01-01-2008, 07:44 PM
thanks for the responses thus far, actually has been a big help. I have been a tad closed minded on the issue because my first thought is "I don't really care about parades and crap". But lost on me to this point has been the history and general atmosphere of the area. With my wild and partying days now behind me, I was really concerened that it really may not be a trip I could enjoy that much... but I think I'm opening up to the idea now and may just give it a go so long as we can manage it around my work and school schedule. Plus there are a few folks down there that temporarily relocated here that I haven't seen in a while and would like to catch up with.

So again thanks for the info folks, and anyone else with any advice/updates please still feel free to throw in your thoughts.

Sack

wolfdancer
01-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I worked out of Metarie when I was a service rep for Gould Battery...another lifetime ago... had a great start to my job there...drove from Atlanta to Metarie, and kind of fell asleep entering the parking lot, and plowed into the Boss's car....minor damage, and they were both company cars.

S0Noma
01-02-2008, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr>
So again thanks for the info folks, and anyone else with any advice/updates please still feel free to throw in your thoughts.

Sack

If you do go - be careful. That city has a rep.

<hr /></blockquote> As of New Year's Eve, the city's murder total sat at 209, making it again a top contender for the country's highest per-capita murder rate, a dubious title New Orleans held in 2006. (http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1199200247154110.xml&amp;coll=1)

LWW
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Once again SODumba realizes that his vacuous hero is as intellectually bankrupt as he, yet in the true spirit of moonbatism he runs straight into machine gun fire armed with his trusty BSA pen knife.

LWW

Deeman3
01-02-2008, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> As of New Year's Eve, the city's murder total sat at 209, making it again a top contender for the country's highest per-capita murder rate, a dubious title New Orleans held in 2006. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Yes, I saw yesterday where that was a healthy 30% increase over the previous year and they say New Orleans is not making progress.

Sack, Just make sure you are carrying an Alabama credit card (I recommend at least a .45 caliber) and you will be fine. My last trip was the year before Katrina but I have never gone for Marti Gras. I have that un natural fear of men kissing men...</font color>

SKennedy
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I have that un natural fear of men kissing men...</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Yet, we are willing to watch "women on women?" Why is that? I guess women are right....men are pigs! Oink Oink!

sack316
01-03-2008, 01:00 AM
yeah deeman, if I go I shall be prepared. It would be a trip with her and her friends... which... well... let's just say may be part of your un natural fear. 'nuff said.

I'm not sure she realizes how it may not be the place she remembers from years ago when they would go. I tend to think of the fine people I met that had relocated here for a time, and the stories they told about how they would have to "prepare" for trips back home in the rebuilding process of their homes and lives. And how often times the work they had built up on the last trip would no longer be there on the next one.

Now if I figure in the worst of the worst situation down there... I think I would actually enjoy it. I'm an action and adrenaline junkie who enjoys a good action packed situation... hell a lot of what I miss about working in the bar was the nice way to release aggression you'd have walking in the door from time to time. So in that sense, it would be right up my alley! But ask me what the opposite is, and it would be the lady and her friends... who often times have problems just being brushed against by people they don't know.

I'm sure I'll go back and forth on this for a bit. Right now I'm still leaning towards trying to go.

And the difference between same sex kisses of the two genders is easy: One is hot and one is not. Duh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack