PDA

View Full Version : CLICK'S

Rod
08-01-2002, 04:05 PM
In another thread I was upset with table conditions at Click's Billiards. Most of the slates have popped and the surface is not level. Not to mention the height difference and at slow speed the cue ball can track that line.

Moving on, I talked with the daytime manager and was told that they are being recovered 1st of September. The guy that did the original work did all of my tables. He did a great job. I think someone has lifted those tables and I know some of the cushions are separated from the rail on some tables. This is due to people sitting on the rail, you know a butt rest.

Moving ahead, I was told that they can not use the same guy because of price. He charged, so I'm told $150 per table.
Corporate headquarters has contracted another mechanic, his charge is $100 per table. Installation of cushions would up the price no matter who does the work. Corporate will not pay for the upgrade and a necessary repair.

What does mechanics in your area charge, related to commercial accounts. Home would be a higher price most likely. I get really tweaked about this. I know I can go elsewhere which I may have to do just to play. But it pisses me off since it's close to home. They seem to be in the bar business and not pool as their name states. I realize the bar is important for revenue, but so is keeping the equipment in good order. You loose players with poor equipment. Come to think of it, of the regular crowd there are few players. Frustrated in AZ. Sorry to clutter the board, breathe in, breathe out. lol

Vagabond
08-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Howdy Rod,
The way buisiness is done in Tucson sucks big time.They have customers that are Questionable charecters and may be some dope dealers( I do not know for fact and I heard only a rumor)It sucks big time. cheers
vagabond

dddd
08-01-2002, 08:59 PM
the profit is far greater of liquor, and beer, and generally the people will use the tables as a meeting place and a casual time to talk and drink.
nothing the general audience does is concerned with respect of the equipment.
in this case and most commerial places as this and many others including jillians here in town, its just a draw for that person or persons will will drink and spend money, never knowing or caring that the table and pool atmosphere is horrible.

just not caring
just wanting to bring in paying customers,
it something i cannot stand either

TomBrooklyn
08-01-2002, 09:25 PM
I would write to them at their corporate HQ and outline your concerns very much like what you just wrote above. I think it will get their attention. Most PHs have a section that the serious players prefer. I would ask them to set up several tables in that section to your requested standards, and to put a special emphasis on keeping the bangers off them. Most privately owned rooms do that as a matter of course. You might want to add info about that anti-slate popping goop BB at Q-Master now uses.

Troy
08-01-2002, 09:32 PM
I can certainly sympathize Rod. In NorCal, the commercial rate is approximately $140 if the house supplies the cloth, rails and other repairs extra. (I think Ernesto Dominquez charges more, plus room & board).

On a pure business note, a Room's survival does NOT depend on Pool Players but on the casual, social people that go out and spend entertainment money but really don't know or care if the slate is popped or the rails are bad.

Example -- I run a couple handicap tourneys each week. Free practice starts about 30 minutes prior to the tourney. I have had so called players complain about not getting more free time. I have had players complain that the house doesn't add money. These same players might buy a couple drinks (soda, water) and not return util the next tourney.

Think about it. It really is sad.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> In another thread I was upset with table conditions at Click's Billiards. Most of the slates have popped and the surface is not level. Not to mention the height difference and at slow speed the cue ball can track that line.

Moving on, I talked with the daytime manager and was told that they are being recovered 1st of September. The guy that did the original work did all of my tables. He did a great job. I think someone has lifted those tables and I know some of the cushions are separated from the rail on some tables. This is due to people sitting on the rail, you know a butt rest.

Moving ahead, I was told that they can not use the same guy because of price. He charged, so I'm told $150 per table.
Corporate headquarters has contracted another mechanic, his charge is $100 per table. Installation of cushions would up the price no matter who does the work. Corporate will not pay for the upgrade and a necessary repair.

What does mechanics in your area charge, related to commercial accounts. Home would be a higher price most likely. I get really tweaked about this. I know I can go elsewhere which I may have to do just to play. But it pisses me off since it's close to home. They seem to be in the bar business and not pool as their name states. I realize the bar is important for revenue, but so is keeping the equipment in good order. You loose players with poor equipment. Come to think of it, of the regular crowd there are few players. Frustrated in AZ. Sorry to clutter the board, breathe in, breathe out. lol <hr></blockquote>

rackmup
08-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Rod...

Which CLICK'S do you play at in AZ? Just curious. If you get unhappy with the conditions at CLICK'S, abandon them and head to Kolby's Corner Pocket in Tempe. They have great 9' Gold Crowns and Gandy's, all covered in Simonis.

They also have great food, plenty of ice-cold brands of beer and a great staff (not to mention the wonderful gals of ASU that drop in on occasion.)

Regards,

Ken (Kolby's is worth the drive from anywhere in the Phoenix Metro area)

rackmup
08-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Hey Troy!

What's happenin' with dem Giants?

Regards,

Ken (THE D-Backs fan)

rackmup
08-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Vagabond,

Is the Clicks in Tucson in "bad shape"? I know you have Click's, Mainstreet Billiards and Pockets. Which is the best in SoAZ (in your opinion)?

Regards,

Ken (nice here, bad at the other place)

Troy
08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Duh... Don't know. I'm about ready to turn in the Giants logo and replace it with the 49'ers logo..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ Holder of two 49'er season tickets
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Hey Troy!

What's happenin' with dem Giants?

Regards,

Ken (THE D-Backs fan) <hr></blockquote>

Rod
08-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Ken,
I play in Phoenix. I know it is a nice room but I'm only 2 miles from Click's. Call me lazy, I just don't like to drive that far. Besides I needed to vent a little. I know Tracey and I'm sure a fair amount of players out there. Now about those ASU gals, humm

08-02-2002, 10:55 AM
Troy, as someone who has also run tournaments here in the bay area; I think you are right on with your comments. I've even seen the "players" bring in their own bottled water. BUT while the casual players make the room work financially; it's the players, that "make" the room. Otherwise it would just be a social club.
You're close on Ernesto's prices, and he usually does 4 tables a day, on avg.
Re: our GIANTS Rod said it best; breathe in, breathe out; and pay no attention to that DB fan&lt;&gt; the blazing hot Az sun affects their thinking process; some ah dem synapses jes misfire occasionally

Troy
08-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Ernesto can do 4+ tables a day IF he has his sons with him and then Ernesto himself does NOT do whole tables himself. I think he then only does the rails.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous Jack:</font><hr> Troy, as someone who has also run tournaments here in the bay area; I think you are right on with your comments. I've even seen the "players" bring in their own bottled water. BUT while the casual players make the room work financially; it's the players, that "make" the room. Otherwise it would just be a social club.
You're close on Ernesto's prices, and he usually does 4 tables a day, on avg.
Re: our GIANTS Rod said it best; breathe in, breathe out; and pay no attention to that DB fan&lt;&gt; the blazing hot Az sun affects their thinking process; some ah dem synapses jes misfire occasionally <hr></blockquote>

Vagabond
08-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Howdy Rackemup,
It is not in bad shape .They are doing good buisiness.They keep the place very clean.Waitresses wear clean clothes and neatly groomed.I mentioned earlier about the shady charecters and that is my main concern.There is a nother annoying thing-If two players play,they say they cannot seperate the table times and give only one check and the players have to figure out and pay to the other guy.
Pockets-Low ceiling and tobacco smoke does not go anywhere.Also there is not much space between the tables.
Mainstreet Billiards: neat place.Packed with teeny bops,Dropping pants,pierced tongues,pierced eyebrows and lips.My underatanding is that the owners are cosidering opening an upscale room.
I feel the pool rooms in Tucson SUCK BIGTIME.Many pool rooms in many cities SUCK BIGTIME.
I am praying for new breed of buisinesmen get into the pool room buisiness.Majority of pool hall owners are not impressive.I am very negative on this issue.
Vagabond

Troy
08-04-2002, 09:07 AM
Any establishment unable to provide separate checks is either --
A) Using the wrong Pool Management System (doubtful),
B) Unable to use the system as installed (possibly), or
C) Just plain lazy.

I am most familiar with the Dolphin System, but all I've seen have the capability to present separate checks.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr>There is a nother annoying thing-If two players play,they say they cannot seperate the table times and give only one check and the players have to figure out and pay to the other guy.
<hr></blockquote>