PDA

View Full Version : Swerve On Break Shot

av84fun
01-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Has anyone ever done a study on the amount of swerve there is...if any...on a typically hard break shot assuming the use of side english and a level as possible hit (i.e. slight downward tilt at impact)?

I don't think swerve is a material factor given the short distance of travel, the speed of the shot and the fact that the cb will be in the air a meaningful part of the time.

Dr_Dave?

THANKS!
Jim

Deeman3
01-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Jim,

I suspect you are right, not enough effect to matter given the speed of the shot.

dr_dave
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> Has anyone ever done a study on the amount of swerve there is...if any...on a typically hard break shot assuming the use of side english and a level as possible hit (i.e. slight downward tilt at impact)?

I don't think swerve is a material factor given the short distance of travel, the speed of the shot and the fact that the cb will be in the air a meaningful part of the time.

Dr_Dave?

THANKS!
Jim <hr /></blockquote>Jim,

I agree with you and Deeman. On a power break shot, swerve is negligible. Because of this, it can be helpful to use a break cue with a natural pivot-length well matched to your preferred break bridge-length (see Diagram 4 and the explanation in my November '07 article (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2007/nov07.pdf)).

Regards,
Dave