PDA

View Full Version : Breaking

08-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Everyone,

Do you break with your cue, or do you use a house cue or break cue? Will it hurt the joint in your playing cue or is that just a rumor?

Thanks,

C

LC3
08-01-2002, 09:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cory Cooper:</font><hr> Everyone,

Do you break with your cue, or do you use a house cue or break cue? Will it hurt the joint in your playing cue or is that just a rumor?

Thanks,C <hr></blockquote>

Unless there's something wrong with your cue, breaking won't hurt its joint. The only thing it'll do is wear out your tip faster. Personally, I don't mind this because it gives me a chance to try the different tips on the market.

Voodoo Daddy
08-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Unless your cue has joint problems already, it shouldnt effect it. It will over time lossen ferrules and loosen the internal mechanics of the cue {I have broken several ferrules and rattled a cue loose by breaking} Invest a lil more in a break cue...

08-01-2002, 09:38 PM
I always use and have used a break cue to break with. There are too many things that can happen to your playing cue when you hit the ball as hard as you do on the break. The tip could pop off, de-layer in some cases, you can pretty much count on it mushrooming. The ferrule could crack, which i have done a number of times. I've also shattered a shaft before. Needless to say, when you add up all the factors, a break cue is a great asset and will probably save you some heartache in the longrun. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-02-2002, 04:57 AM
It's difficult to break well because a good break shot combines precision and power. I find that it's much easier to achieve a good break with a familiar cue. Get yourself a break cue when you can. You can get a serviceable production cue for less than a hundred bucks, and you'll break better with it than you'll break with funky unfamiliar house cues.

Good luck!

X

Paul_Mon
08-02-2002, 05:00 AM
I used my Predator shafted Meucci to break for three years. One Saturday I was in Toronto for a RSB tournament and in the second match of the day I shattered the butt during the break. Sounded like a gun went off in the place. I always liked the way that cue performed for breaking but won't risk being without my 314 again. I now have a Showcase cue that is used exclusively for breaking.

Paul Mon

rackmup
08-02-2002, 06:49 AM
Buy a break cue!

I have shattered house cues on the snap, split a Predator 314 BK shaft after 8 hours of nine ball breaks and mushroomed too many tips to count on my break cue (I now have two shafts for by Pred BK that I "rotate"). All of these things will happen (eventually) to your playing cue if you break with it. Then what do you do? You pluck a house cue off the wall to finish your set. Not the preferred choice of weaponry my friend.

There are a lot of break cues on the market to choose from. Some are expensive, others are cheaper. Let us know of your decision and perhaps we can all toss together a few bucks to help you with your purchase. We are a generous crew.

Regards,

Ken (CCB Regulars...always there with advice, a few bucks or a place to sleep for those that need it)

DEADSTOKE32
08-03-2002, 12:09 PM
I BREAK WITH MY "GILBERT" IT BREAKS GOOD. BUT NOW I'M USEING A OLD CUE A FRIEND GAVE HE SAID IT WAS A OLD MOTTEY.OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT .BUT I'LL TELL U THIS I DON'T KNOW WHO MADE THIS THING BUT IT HIT GOOD..AND IT'S OLD LOOKING .SO I'LL FINE OUT WHEN I GO 2 THE OPEN WHO MADE IT..
DEADSTROKE32 50/50..
GAME IS ON THE BLINK..

Chris Cass
08-03-2002, 03:55 PM
Hi Corey,

Breaking, with your playing cue is not a great idea. I sincerely believe there's too many things besides, flattening your tip that can happen.

You can miscue and scrape the finish, or gouge into it. If the finish is old the inlays can loosen. I've seen this on cues, that the finish is cracked on the inlay lines. So, I tend to think this is from breaking. It's possible to strip the threads on the shaft, if the joint's not totally tight on the break. Most pin problems come from people who are constantly tightening the joint out of habit when playing. IMO

Also, I think it's better to get a break cue just for that purpose. A good straight solid breaking cue that weighs about 1 0z. less than your playing cue. JMO I break with a Cuetech. It crushes the balls and I could care less what it looks like.

Regards,

C.C.~~hates to rack.....

LC3
08-04-2002, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>
I have shattered house cues on the snap, split a Predator 314 BK shaft after 8 hours of nine ball breaks...
<hr></blockquote>
I think I'm safe in assuming you break A LOT harder than I do. You and Chris Cass make a good point though. As my break gets stronger, damage to the cue would indeed become an issue. I have a sneaky pete that would serve well as a break cue, but I only have a 1 x 2 case at the moment. Looks like I now have an excuse to spring for that Instroke 2 x 3 buffalo I've been looking at. Thanks /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Rich R.
08-04-2002, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: LC3:</font><hr> Looks like I now have an excuse to spring for that Instroke 2 x 3 buffalo I've been looking at. Thanks /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
<hr></blockquote>
What the heck, spring for the 3x5. You never know what is in your future. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif /ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif
Rich R.~~~if your going to be a bear, be a Grizzly!