PDA

View Full Version : How much does your height effect how you play?

Heretic
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I had never really thought about my height (6' 4") as being a disadvantage. In fact I always thought I had the advantage when having to reach across a table. Then someone pointed out the length of my stroke, and really made me start thinking about it. I think I have subconciously gravitated towards sticks with a longer pro taper because the length of my arms naturally gives me a longer stroke. I think this might also be why I like the balance of the stick to be back farther, because my reach moves my hand farther back on the butt. As I sit here and write this I wonder if I have developed a softer hit, because this was more condusive to the type of stick I feel more comfortable shooting with.

9baller
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
i,mm just a beginer myself,but i think you have both an advantage in so ways,and a disadvantage in others.
i have know idea if this is actully true or not,but i think a shorter person may have the advantage of closer eye level for eyeing up shots.it will be interesting to hear what the guys that actully know what thier talking about have to say /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
by the way,i get my theory from the 5yo that almost kicked my butt in a bar one time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif he was like almost eye level with the balls!!! it was like a horror movie cause it looked like only this little head floating around the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS:the young boy was there UNWATCHED as the idiot mother talked with this biker dude /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ralph_Kramden
01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
The shorter player can't reach some shots that taller players can hit with ease. I've seen height challenged players actually standing on their toes while elevating the butt to hit jump shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sack316
01-06-2008, 01:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> The shorter player can't reach some shots that taller players can hit with ease. I've seen height challenged players actually standing on their toes while elevating the butt to hit jump shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey! That's me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to think that maybe my being on the shorter side of things may have been a disadvantage to me... until I saw some of these philipino players going at it. Then I realized I better get rid of that excuse real quick!

I would like to hear what some of the instructors and more "physics" knowledged posters have to say about this.

Personally, I like that I'm down on a shot fairly easily and can line up some of the closer precision things without much added effort. I'm sure for you taller folks it can get tiring going through all those motions over and over again. But at the same time, I'm sure it must be nice to just be able to lean over to stroke a cueball that's a little further away, while I'm doing my best to grab a bridge or keep a foot on the floor. Also, although I can easily line up aiming points on specific shots at hand, I've noticed that I can pick out a pattern of running out much easier when I look at the table from a higher vantage point than I normally see it. And, I don't know how to describe it, but I guess I'd say my stroke seems a little more fluid and precise than other that have the longer arms.

None of my thoughts are based on anything more than my own personal experiences, I'd love to see what Scott or Dr. Dave or someone has to say about any advantage/disadvantage... if any... that either has over the other.

Sack

DeadCrab
01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
The height of pool tables was established about 100 years ago when most guys were about a foot shorter than you are.

I'd say you would be more comfortable with a playing surface of 34" - 36". You'll not encounter this in any pool hall, but raising your home table height might be a consideration.

tjlmbklr
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I haven't posted here in awhile but thought I'd chime in. although I am 5'11(1/2)" I have a tremendous reach of 76+" (long arms, big hands). I started playing with a 60" cue because of it. Only issue I have is when I don't have my cue with me I have issues adapting to a 57" house cue or a standard 58" cue. I had a custom J/B cue made that I unfortunately can't get a full swing from it because it's only 57". I have tried using my 60" cue to break and even though it's not engineered for breaking I get a better full swing and powerful hit. My next step when I free up some cash is to have custom 60" J/B cue made.

Just my 2 cents

TJ

BLACKHEART
01-06-2008, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Heretic:</font><hr> I had never really thought about my height (6' 4") as being a disadvantage. In fact I always thought I had the advantage when having to reach across a table. Then someone pointed out the length of my stroke, and really made me start thinking about it. I think I have subconciously gravitated towards sticks with a longer pro taper because the length of my arms naturally gives me a longer stroke. I think this might also be why I like the balance of the stick to be back farther, because my reach moves my hand farther back on the butt. As I sit here and write this I wonder if I have developed a softer hit, because this was more condusive to the type of stick I feel more comfortable shooting with.

The LENGTH of your stroke has nothing to do with your hight. By placing your bridge hand closer or further from the Qball you can regulate the length of your stroke. I had a player on one of my teams that was 6'-3" tall &amp; played comfortably with a 58" Q. It all depends on your stance &amp; the length of your bridge...JER

<hr /></blockquote>

Heretic
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>

The LENGTH of your stroke has nothing to do with your hight. By placing your bridge hand closer or further from the Qball you can regulate the length of your stroke. I had a player on one of my teams that was 6'-3" tall &amp; played comfortably with a 58" Q. It all depends on your stance &amp; the length of your bridge...JER

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

I took the time to watch the taller league players in contrast to the shorter players today. Length of bridge aside, the taller players had a longer follow through. Of five players on my team, three of them are over 6'2",and the other two are under 5'8". Without a doubt there is a difference in stroke between the taller players and the shorter ones..

I think I am,going to video tape our next practice so I can compare the difference in strokes.
I might also have a longer stick made to see how this helps or hinders a taller player

BLACKHEART
01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Heretic:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>

The LENGTH of your stroke, has nothing to do with your height. By placing your bridge hand closer or further from the Qball you can regulate the length of your stroke. I had a player on one of my teams that was 6'-3" tall &amp; played comfortably with a 58" Q. It all depends on your stance &amp; the length of your bridge...JER

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

I took the time to watch the taller league players in contrast to the shorter players today. Length of bridge aside, the taller players had a longer follow through. Of five players on my team, three of them are over 6'2",and the other two are under 5'8". Without a doubt there is a difference in stroke between the taller players and the shorter ones..

I think I am,going to video tape our next practice so I can compare the difference in strokes.
I might also have a longer stick made to see how this helps or hinders a taller player <hr /></blockquote>

To take the cue stick back 4" &amp; follow through a foot does not have anything to do with a STROKE. It's only a long follow through. Don't look at tall players in your local pool hall or league. Look at the tall players,who know how to play the game at the highest level. There are pros that you can watch &amp; learn from. If your STROKE ( not your follow through is long, then you must be hitting the ball softly, otherwise the ball would be flying out of control, with too much speed. At address the back hand of the player should be hanging straight down, at the address position. If it's back further than that, I don't care how tall you are, you are holding the cue WRONG. Stroke &amp; follow through are 2 different animals...JER

SpiderMan
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr> I haven't posted here in awhile but thought I'd chime in. although I am 5'11(1/2)" I have a tremendous reach of 76+" (long arms, big hands).
TJ <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think I've ever seen anyone that short with such a long arm span. Are you mostly torso, with low waistline and short inseam? In other words, do you have the build of a much taller person with the exception of short legs? I have 77" armspan, but I am 6'3" tall and also wear 38" inseam, so my knuckles don't drag /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan

Heretic
01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>

To take the cue stick back 4" &amp; follow through a foot does not have anything to do with a STROKE. It's only a long follow through. Don't look at tall players in your local pool hall or league. Look at the tall players,who know how to play the game at the highest level. There are pros that you can watch &amp; learn from. If your STROKE ( not your follow through is long, then you must be hitting the ball softly, otherwise the ball would be flying out of control, with too much speed. At address the back hand of the player should be hanging straight down, at the address position. If it's back further than that, I don't care how tall you are, you are holding the cue WRONG. Stroke &amp; follow through are 2 different animals...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at here. I was not trying to impose my opinion. I was asking how height effects individual players, and hoping to hear how people adapted. Just from watching other players (both very good, and those who are not so good)I can see a few differences. It think more will become apparent as I watch more closely. It does effect how a player does a lot of things, from how he addresses the ball, to weather or not he will use a mechanical bridge for some shots. Even simple things like stick balance can be effected by height, width of chest, and length of arms. Also I am sure every single person on here has reached across the table and used a longer stroke than necessary, when trying for a shot. Do taller people have the advantage here? In a similar way, do shorter players have the advantage with some shots where a taller person has a problem addressing the CB because his knees are against the table?. If so, do players look for different leaves because of this? Also I see follow through being longer for taller players. This does seem to effect draw shots, which many of the taller players in my area do not seem as strong with.
I think I am going to try having a longer shaft made for one of my sticks. This is just being done as an experiment, because, I am in no way dissatisfied with what I am currently using. In fact I am VERY pleased with my stick. I just want to try it, and see how it feels, and maybe see how other taller players like it. Maybe one length stick is not right for everyone, just as one weight or balance is not ideal for all players

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I think the biggest effect that height has is in the weight distribution and balance of the player. You obviously have to bend over more if your taller, so you have more weight leaning forward with your torso. You will have to counter that forward weight with the bottom half of your body by leaning slightly back. You may notice some of the taller better players leaning more on their back leg than their forward leg. That's why. On the other hand, shorter players may have their weight distributed more evenly between both legs.

Taller players who lean forward should probably be on the lookout for eventual shoulder pain in the bridge hand side shoulder. It's a classic problem when they're off balance like that and the more they play the worse it gets.

It's somewhat more complicated that what I just explained but that's the basic idea.

Fran

Artemus
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I think the biggest effect that height has is in the weight distribution and balance of the player. You obviously have to bend over more if your taller, so you have more weight leaning forward with your torso. You will have to counter that forward weight with the bottom half of your body by leaning slightly back. You may notice some of the taller better players leaning more on their back leg than their forward leg. That's why. On the other hand, shorter players may have their weight distributed more evenly between both legs.

Taller players who lean forward should probably be on the lookout for eventual shoulder pain in the bridge hand side shoulder. It's a classic problem when they're off balance like that and the more they play the worse it gets.

It's somewhat more complicated that what I just explained but that's the basic idea.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmm, now where have I seen that almost exact same thing posted somewhere else on here in a recent thread?? (just not quite as eloquently stated)/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I think the biggest effect that height has is in the weight distribution and balance of the player. You obviously have to bend over more if your taller, so you have more weight leaning forward with your torso. You will have to counter that forward weight with the bottom half of your body by leaning slightly back. You may notice some of the taller better players leaning more on their back leg than their forward leg. That's why. On the other hand, shorter players may have their weight distributed more evenly between both legs.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmm, now where have I seen that almost exact same thing posted somewhere else on here in a recent thread?? (just not quite as eloquently stated)/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Did you say that too? Cool! A kindered spirit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran

Artemus
01-08-2008, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>
Hmmmm, now where have I seen that almost exact same thing posted somewhere else on here in a recent thread?? (just not quite as eloquently stated)/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

Did you say that too? Cool! A kindered spirit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran

<hr /></blockquote>

It was my partial take on Dr. Dave's power draw setup and stroke. I posted this:

IMO, rigidity and tightness starts from the floor/feet and works its way up through the entire body.

Your stance looks very widely spaced, knees locked tight, and weight/head forward. I'd say bring your right foot in very close to back of the left heel for starters, get in a more relaxed sit down position with a looser knee flex, and don't get so far forward with weight distribution. Make it more evenly balanced and relaxed. You can play around with the spacing of your feet to wider later, but stay close in the beginning. I kinda wonder if you'd be better off with a longer cue because of your height and long arms so that you didn't have to grip so far back.

But YOU said it MUCH better. I think you should repost it on the thread regarding his video.

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 06:36 PM

It was my partial take on Dr. Dave's power draw setup and stroke. I posted this:

IMO, rigidity and tightness starts from the floor/feet and works its way up through the entire body.

Your stance looks very widely spaced, knees locked tight, and weight/head forward. I'd say bring your right foot in very close to back of the left heel for starters, get in a more relaxed sit down position with a looser knee flex, and don't get so far forward with weight distribution. Make it more evenly balanced and relaxed. You can play around with the spacing of your feet to wider later, but stay close in the beginning.

But YOU said it MUCH better. I think you should repost it on the thread regarding his video. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, okay. Yup. You DID say that. I noticed that too with Dave's video, but it gets a bit complicated, because when you make a weight distribution adjustment, there usually comes with it an alignment adjustment --- a little too involved to describe in writing, so I decided to let it go.

Thanks for the compliment, though.

Fran

Heretic
01-08-2008, 11:40 PM

So this has been done before? I thought it was going to be thought provoking, and I would get some interesting feedback

Artemus
01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Heretic:</font><hr>
So this has been done before? I thought it was going to be thought provoking, and I would get some interesting feedback <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry you were disappointed. Maybe you should just contact Fran directly and get set up with a lesson.

Heretic
01-09-2008, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Heretic:</font><hr>
So this has been done before? I thought it was going to be thought provoking, and I would get some interesting feedback <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry you were disappointed. Maybe you should just contact Fran directly and get set up with a lesson. <hr /></blockquote>

May have to look into that when I get a little time

Right now I am a little swamped. With the damage the Storms have done to my place here in Northern CA, someone running into my classic vette in a parking lot, then taking off, and the normal work and family issues......I might have a little free time about April 7th.....2015.....LOL

bradb
01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm 6'4" and I have a problem playing on some tables that are not high enough. I find I have to bend down more than usual to sight down the cue. So I look down on the shot instead of to it. Most tables are proper height but occasionally some are'nt especially bar tables. I use a normal length cue but most instructors will tell you that it should reach your shoulder if you stand next to it while placing it vertical on the floor.

You can't place enough importance on stance as Fran mentioned. When I changed my stance several years back my game improved so much I moved up to another level. Its all about alinement. Whenever they show those overhead shots of the pros playing (especially Alison Fisher) you get a good idea of absolute perfection in follow through. -brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SKennedy
01-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Sorry, you lost me after the words "classic vette."

Heretic
01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Sorry, you lost me after the words "classic vette." <hr /></blockquote>

I have a few old cars, and an old harley or two......I would like to say it was a hobby, but it really is more of an obsession

bradb
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Sorry, you lost me after the words "classic vette." <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah me too!

I had a 64 Stingray coupe back in my younger days...bright yellow with a 375 horse 327. Everytime I see one in the ScottsDale auction I wanta cry, I think I sold it for 1,800 dollars. Whenever I run across one at car show I seriously think of re-morgaging the house!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-brad