PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of a non-smoking pool establishment?

preacherman
08-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to make a list of non-smoking pool establishments.

While I know there are smokers out there, that's fine, but some of us don't like the stinking clothes, burning eyes, or bad asthma (my wife), possible health risks to non-smoker, etc.

If your a smoker, don't worry there are plenty of places that have smoking (most), but for reasons as stated above some us love to play pool but can't handle the smoke. So for those pool players I'm trying to find non-smoking establishments.

I play at Barley's in downtown Atlanta, GA with my wife (a 30 mile ride one way) so that we can both play together.

I know there are other's out there who love the game but can't handle the smoke for various reasons.

If any of you have a non-smoking establishment or know of one in the USA. Please let me know name and location.

Thank you,
Jim (you may e-mail me direct if you like at "goproclaim@aol.com)

PQQLK9
08-01-2002, 11:57 PM
I'm with you Jim...you have my vote for clean healthy air...there is at least one smoke free proprietor here so i'm sure he will give you the particulars...

Cueless Joey
08-02-2002, 12:01 AM
I hope everybody catches up to California someday.
No smoking here if you serve food. Not even at Hard Times.
I love it. Pool halls used to be the pitts here. Now smokers have to step out where they can only damage themselves.

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2002, 12:04 AM
Jim...I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but smoke free rooms are all over California. There was one in Naples, Fl. once...it lasted 6 months or so. I hope you find one close to home...so you can play in the environment your looking for, as I light up one more Marlboro Light...oops...LMFAO!!

nmshooter
08-02-2002, 12:07 AM
I am a smoker. If I am playing tournaments or practicing, I would rather play in a smoke free place. If I am just goofing then it doesnt bother me. I remember a place in Idaho back in 1997 that was a beautiful hall. I think they had 16 tables, beautiful billiard artwork. They didnt allow smoking and sold no alcohol what so ever. No jukebox with loud music. Just the sound of balls hitting balls and smell of clean air and no drunks to deal with. It closed down in less than a year. They couldnt get any business. The owners told me it was because they didnt allow those things. I dont know if thats true, but there was another place across town that had 14 tables and allowed all of the above and was packed nightly. I think most places dont want to eliminate customers by limiting what their customers can do.

ADD< Hopefully soon, it will become a law and wont be allowed in public places. I know its that way in some places.

Just my opinion,

TomBrooklyn
08-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Please post your list when you get it together. I'm sure many would be interested. Personally, I'm curious to see if you find any outside of California and Delaware that have or will be in business for more than six months. Have you found any yet?

You might want to consider adding pool halls to your list that have a non-smoking section and a air filtration system that keeps the smoke out of it.

bluewolf
08-02-2002, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: preacherman:</font><hr> Hi all,

I am looking to make a list of non-smoking pool establishments.

While I know there are smokers out there, that's fine, but some of us don't like the stinking clothes, burning eyes, or bad asthma (my wife), possible health risks to non-smoker, etc.

If your a smoker, don't worry there are plenty of places that have smoking (most), but for reasons as stated above some us love to play pool but can't handle the smoke. So for those pool players I'm trying to find non-smoking establishments.

I play at Barley's in downtown Atlanta, GA with my wife (a 30 mile ride one way) so that we can both play together.

I know there are other's out there who love the game but can't handle the smoke for various reasons.

If any of you have a non-smoking establishment or know of one in the USA. Please let me know name and location.

Thank you,
Jim (you may e-mail me direct if you like at "goproclaim@aol.com)

i used to have to run bingo as part of a fundraiser for my son's swim team. the smoke was way thicker than anything you find in a pool hall. my throat would literally feel like it was closing. i started taking a good antihistamine before i went and it worked like a charm.

'the only person i can change is me'

bluewolf

preacherman
08-02-2002, 08:24 AM
Actually, there is Barley's in Atlanta - 100% smoke free and have been so for years. Also "The Pool House" ONLY allows smoking in a small bar area so it's not bad, that is also in the Atlanta area, and there is another in Boone, N.C. that's what I know of thus far.

Jim

preacherman
08-02-2002, 08:28 AM
Yes I know California doesn't allow smoking, but what about other places in the country? I do know 2 in Atlanta, GA and 1 in North Carolina and I'm hoping to find more.

Jim

Vicki
08-02-2002, 08:33 AM
Champion Billiards in Rockville, MD has a non-smoking section that has a glass partition separating it from the smokers. They also use an air filtration system and have high ceilings. It makes it MUCH more tolerable.

Troy
08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Move to Califronia or Utah. You'll have fun in either.

08-02-2002, 11:16 AM
FUN in Utah?? Robin Williams line on Utah's Olympic ad "party like it's 1955". and his best line re: the mention of hosts, Donny and Marie, as Utah's #1 couple. "They're only a couple, in Arkansas"

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Avoid Cincinnati Oh.

There aren't any smoke free pool rooms in this area.

The closest one is in Indianapolis IN. (about 100 miles away)

I smoke and have played in California. I liked the smoke free rooms. I would like it if all public places were smoke free..

I just don't think there needs to be laws. Too many laws now.

Vagabond
08-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Howdy,
CHALKIES in Indianapolis,Indiana.cheers
Vagabond

preacherman
08-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Thanks Vicki for the input.

Jim

preacherman
08-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input!!!

Jim

preacherman
08-03-2002, 09:37 PM
He fellow pool players.
So far I have only had CCB'ers give me 2-3 "non-smoking" establishments through out the USA (excluding California and Utah). I know of more than that on my research, but sure would like to add more places to my list. So smoker or non-smoker please let me know of those non-smoking places.

Thanks,
Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)

Rod
08-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Jim, The city of Tempe, AZ.

Clicks Billiards
3136 S McClintock Dr #6
(480) 491-5030

Doc &amp; Eddy's
909 E Minton Dr
(480) 831-0635

Kolby's Corner Pocket Billiards
1301 E University Dr #112
(480) 829-7344

Q 'n Brew
3400 S Mill Ave # 348
(602) 968-3722

Rack &amp; Q
1328 E Apache Blvd
(602) 968-4346

preacherman
08-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Rod,
Thanks for the list in Tempe, Az.
I talked with Rod of AZ Billiards Table Talk,
he had mentioned Tempe, but hadn't yet got the
names so thanks. He also mentioned Mesa, AZ.
Do you know anything about that.

Thanks,
Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)

08-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Well...in the Atlanta area, let's not forget Twain's in downtown Decatur. "L" shaped building with about 14 Simonis/Gold Crowns on the NON-smoking side, and 14 or so on the smoking side, with the bar in the middle. Nice, clean place. Friendly folks.

The thing is...I personal think it would take a law to keep smoking out of pool rooms. It is true that non-smoking pool room have a VERY tough time staying in business, especially if they don't have anything else to offer, like a good restaurant, etc. (Ask Chris in NC)
If every pool room had to be smoke-free, (like CA), then it would no longer be an issue. Smokers would go outside (patio area perhaps) like they have gotten use to in other buildings, and get this, all pool rooms would be smoke-free, so MORE people would actually go to pool rooms, and God forbid, pool's "Image" might actually improve...

Just a thought...

-Tim

Harold Acosta
08-04-2002, 07:36 PM
[b] <font color=blue>There's a non-smoking pool room in Puerto Rico with five 9 foot tables, and 8 bar tables. No smoking allowed. All kinds of alcoholic beverages. Ample mirrored bar about 20 feet wide, 3 TV's, great stereo sound with tiny Bose speakers. Teal colored decorations, clean, opened 7 days a week. Great place to go and it is packed on the weekends. <font color=red> $5.00 an hour on 9 ft tables for 2 players <font color=black> (You read it right!) <font color=blue> It is located in the northwest of the Island, in Aguada, Puerto Rico, very near Rincon, PR which is a world-wide surfer's paradise. 10-15 minutes away from Ramey Air Force Base, Aguadilla. Look it up in a map! The name of the hall is "La Gran Via" behind the "Auto Parts" store with the same name. Great parking space. PR State Road 417, Km 1.3, Aguada, Puerto Rico. Budweiser Happy Hours on weekends! Yeehah!

A must and the best room for poolplayers in the west of our Island!

Rod
08-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Jim, Mesa use to be nonsmoking. The bars pool rooms etc had a tough time keeping the doors open due to poor business. I'm not sure of the date it changed, about 2 years ago it was appealed and went back to smoking.

preacherman
08-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the info!

Jim :-)

preacherman
08-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Are there any Pool establishments that are still non-smoking in Mesa?

preacherman
08-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Tim,
I wasn't familiar with Twains - Thanks!
And yes I have already talked to Chris in NC.
Sounds like they have a real nice place.

Jim

SpiderMan
08-05-2002, 08:59 AM
Main Event in Plano, Texas. Smoking allowed only in an enclosed "smokers vault". You can almost see the cigarette-suckers among the swirling clouds, if you gaze carefully through the stained glass /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan

preacherman
08-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply and helping me in building up a list of non-smoking (or partial) pool establishments.

Jim

NH_Steve
08-05-2002, 08:45 PM
World Class in Saugus, MA, had very restricted smoking last I knew -- apparently as a result of a local city ordinance -- not state.

PQQLK9
08-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Champion Billiards in Silver Spring,MD has 22 tables of which 6 are in the non -smoking front section which used to house the billiard showroom....it's really a separate room...

CarolNYC
08-06-2002, 03:41 AM
Jim,
Jean Balukas"s "Hall of Fame" in Brooklyn,NY is non-smoking downstairs where the tournaments are played!You are permitted to smoke upstairs!
Have a nice day!
Carol

Rich R.
08-06-2002, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> Champion Billiards in Silver Spring,MD has 22 tables of which 6 are in the non -smoking front section which used to house the billiard showroom....it's really a separate room... <hr></blockquote>
PQQLK9, where is the Champion Billiards located in Silver Spring? I was not aware that there was one there.
Rich R.

bluewolf
08-06-2002, 06:17 AM
We have a pool hall here in md that has a smoking side and a nonsmoking side. otherwise, have not seen any strictly non smoking ones.

bluewolf

08-06-2002, 08:03 AM

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: PQQLK9:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Champion Billiards in Silver Spring,MD has 22 tables of which 6 are in the non -smoking front section which used to house the billiard showroom....it's really a separate room... &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
PQQLK9, where is the Champion Billiards located in Silver Spring? I was not aware that there was one there.
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>

It's in the 8200 block of Georgia Ave....it's their original location...used to be 24/7 but now they open at 11AM and close at 2 or 4AM...I think Richard Allen sold that particular store to Jeanie and Bud who owned the snack bar and used to help operate the retail store...ALWAYS good one pocket action there...

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> On Gerogia Avenue, a block or two from the metro. I believe Mike Segal used to play there frequently. Compared to the new Champions, it is a dump unless they have fixed it up within the last 10 years.

Scooted out there one night when I used to live in Silver Spring - New Years Eve or something (this place is even open on Xmas). My ex-wife and her friends were drunk as all getout, and showed up with their mink coats on. I nearly fainted and got the heck out of their. The only memory I have of the place. <hr></blockquote>

My business partner owns the big lot next door and back in the early 90's we tried to buy the pool room so we could convert it into a new car showroom to satisfy the FRANCHISOR...they would not sell...the riff raff used to trash our lot at night...

Rich R.
08-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks PQQLK9 and Whitewolf. I wasn't aware of this Champions. When you mentioned it, I went to Champions website and it did not list it. I guess the Silver Spring location is not part of the chain.
Rich R.

preacherman
08-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Hi thanks for the reply.
What is the name of the place that is partially non-smoking?

Jim

preacherman
08-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Do you have the phone number of the place in Brooklyn?

Jim

preacherman
08-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Thank you!

Do you have the phone number of the place?

Jim

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 10:31 PM
The name is now J &amp; B Champion Billiards...301-587-4736

TomBrooklyn
08-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Ovington Lounge aka Hall Of Fame
approx. 501 Ovington Ave (equiv. to 70th St.)
Brooklyn, NY 11209

718 921 2694

No smoking downstairs and front part of upstairs.

preacherman
08-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the information, it was slow to get names of non-smoking/partial smoking places, but I have a few now. Hope to get more soon.

Thanks,
Jim

Vicki
08-07-2002, 08:16 PM
preacherman,

I hope that when you have compiled your list of non-smoking places you will publish it here on CCB... I travel a lot and would like to have the list in my carry-on. If that's the case then thanks in advance for your efforts to put this list together.

Best regards, Vicki

Vicki
08-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Hi neighbor,

I haven't been to Champion's in Silver Spring for about 6 months or so but it is still VERY much the same as you remember it. Very old and fairly run down but the tables are well kept and they are Gold Crowns. The people are as nice as you could hope to meet anywhere and if you really want to learn to play one-pocket then you NEED to go (not that I remember you saying you wanted or needed to learn one-pocket, but just in case). There are not too many places left like it - with the old-timers who can really teach you something about one-pocket. I have met some great people there and have great memories of the place. Richard Allen sold it because of an issue with liquor licenses. You are only allowed to own a limited number of liquor licenses in MD and he needed to get one for the Towson room, I think that's the deal.

IMO, it's the best of the bunch but I doubt too many people would agree with me.

Take care,
Vicki

PQQLK9
08-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Quote...
IMO, it's the best of the bunch but I doubt too many people would agree with me

I agree with you Vicki...great people and good players...Hey I used to be a REALTOR in Montgomery County with L&amp;F...

08-08-2002, 06:03 AM
Preacherman, Starbuck's Billiards in Pensacola, FL, went totally smoke-free about 1 month ago. We very well may see more in FL soon. as the state legislature is considering a bill in the next session, to require all businesses with a restaurant liscense to be smoke free.

I'm awaiting the results of that legislation to either go smokeless, or spend a ton of money on smoke-eaters for my room in Ft Walton Beach, FL.
AndyG.

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 06:49 AM
What does this mean with all caps-BARF

hint, if you are not really into dogs and holistic stuff, you will never guess. If nobody guesses today, I will tell the answer tomorrow.

bluewolf

PQQLK9
08-08-2002, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> What does this mean with all caps-BARF

hint, if you are not really into dogs and holistic stuff, you will never guess. If nobody guesses today, I will tell the answer tomorrow.

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

Bones And Raw Food

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bluewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; What does this mean with all caps-BARF

bluewolf &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Bones And Raw Food <hr></blockquote>

Gosh I am impressed. I did not think anyone would get the answer so fast. Are you a dog person?

bluewolf

SPetty
08-08-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> What does this mean with all caps-BARF<hr></blockquote>More importantly, what does it have to do with pool or this thread?

08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Yes I will list all the non-smoking establishments on CCB. CCBers are part of helping me make that list.

Thank you CCBers.

Jim :-)