PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate in Inconvenient Truths!

LWW
01-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Another update on the farcical, IMHO, idea that the modern automobile is to blame for GW...

...let's use CARB as a source I trust that we all can agree isn't paid for by the EEEVILLL big oil.

Here's some stats pulled from their site...

[ QUOTE ]

California's population reaches 20 million people. Total registered vehicles exceed 12 million and VMT is 110 billion. Statewide average for NOx emissions per vehicle (new and used) are 5.3 grams / mile; per vehicle for hydrocarbons are 8.6 grams/mile. Cumulative California vehicle emissions for nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons are about 1.6 million tons / year.

Ozone: The South Coast Air Basin's maximum one-hour ozone concentration recorded is 0.58 parts per million, which is nearly five times greater than the health-based national standard of < 0.12 ppm that will be adopted in 1971.

California population reaches 24 million people. Total registered vehicles surpasses 17 million and VMT is 155 billion. Statewide average for NOx emissions per vehicle are 4.8 grams / mile; per vehicle for hydrocarbons are 5.5 grams / mile. Cumulative California vehicle emissions for nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons remain at 1970 levels of 1.6 million tons/year despite a rise of 45 billion in VMT over those ten years.

Ozone: The South Coast Air Basin's maximum one-hour ozone concentration recorded is 0.49 parts per million. The area exceeds Stage 1 Smog Alerts (0.20 ppm ozone) on 102 days this year. This is an improvement of 16 days since 1975.

California's population reaches 30 million people. Total registered vehicles reaches 23 million and VMT is 242 billion. Statewide average for NOx emissions per vehicle are 3.0 grams / mile; per vehicle for hydrocarbons are 2.7 grams / mile. Cumulative California vehicle emissions for nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons are about 1.4 million tons / year. This is 200,000 tons / year less than in 1980 despite a rise of 87 billion in VMT.

Ozone: The South Coast Air Basin's maximum one-hour ozone concentration recorded is 0.33 parts per million. The area exceeds Stage 1 Smog Alerts (0.20 ppm ozone) on 42 days this year, an improvement of 41 days since 1985.

California's population grows to 34 million. There are now 23.4 million registered vehicles in the state. Annual vehicle miles traveled (VMT) reaches 280 billion miles. The statewide average for vehicular nitrogen oxides emissions is 2.1 grams / mile; the average for hydrocarbons is 1.6 grams / mile. Cumulative California vehicle emissions for nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons are about 1.2 million tons per year. This is 200,000 tons / year less than 1990 despite an increase in VMT of 40 billion miles per year.

Ozone: The South Coast Air Basin's maximum one-hour ozone concentration recorded is 0.18 parts per million. The area has no Stage 1 Smog Alerts (0.20 ppm ozone) this year, down from 42 Alerts in 1990.<hr /></blockquote>

So...

...from 1970-2000 California's vehicle population rose 12,000,000 to 23,400,000. Vehicle miles travelled increased from 110,000,000 to 280,000,000. Hydrocarbons per mile shrank from 8.6 grams to 1.6 grams. Nitrogen oxides dropped from 5.3 grams per mile to 2.1. Virtually everything was eliminated. Overall vehicle emissions shrank from 1,600,000 tons to 1,200,000 tons. The maximum one-hour ozone concentration recorded dropped from 0.58 parts per million to 0.18. From 1975 to 2000 the Stage One Smog Alerts fell from 118 days out of 365 to ZERO (0).

So, if the automobile is the cause, why is it that the Earth got warmer during the same period that:

-Greenhouse emissions plummeted.

-The smog nearly vanished.

-The average auto became much cleaner.

-A 95% increase in total automobiles combined with a 155% increase in total miles driven resulted in a 25% reduction in overall vehicle emissions.

-Similar, if not greater, reductions were achieved in industrial and energy powerplant pollutants.

Just curious? We obviously ARE NOT at an impending apocalypse.

Don't get me wrong, I support what has been achieved and encourage further improvements.

What I don't see is any causation associated with GW. GW has apparently natural causes and we would IMHO be better served finding out how to deal with it than pointing fingers.

BTW if I ran big oil I would fight the disinformation campaigns far more vigorously than they have. IMHO they haven't because they are more motivated by short term gains than by educating the public.

TRUTH is a beautiful thing! (http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/history.htm)

LWW