PDA

View Full Version : In the spirit of "American Kids" thread...

sack316
01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
I chimed in on the other thread a bit back, kept up with it for a while, and have since let it go... just gotten too long for my Gen-X attention span I suppose /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But, I would like to make one small addition to the ideals behind that awesome thread (best one we've had in a while IMHO):

American adults aren't much better in the mental department than the kids are getting!

Seriously think about it... how many times during one day of your life do you catch yourself saying "What an idiot" or something along those lines. We're lucky on this board to NOT have a true representation of what is really out there. Somehow we've managed to be a pretty intellectual group as a whole throughout the years but...

Out there, in that there real world... good lord the stupidity. Really, give a good honest look out there at these people, by and large we probably are a country of idiots. A-derrrr... where do we think these kids are getting it from?

I'm working back in retail now, In Montgomery. Sales tax is 10%... a nice easy number to figure in. I dare not even try to estimate the number of people that either have no clue what sales tax even is, much less those who cannot figure out why their $2 purchase is costing them $2.20. And I can make my work example even worse... I am a manager at a Dollar Tree... everything in the store costs $1 for those who do not have such a store in their area. And I have so many people that cannot figure out what they are spending, even though it is the simplest of tallies to keep in your head as you go (that's not even counting the extremely difficult 10% tax they will soon have to factor on). I'm pretty good at letting this slide with a lot of folks, but I cannot tell you how many TEACHERS we get that simply have no clue whatsoever. No, I do not think teachers are all stupid... in fact I think most teachers are some of the most dedicated, wonderful, and intelligent (except for taking a teaching job) people in the world with only the rare exception. But in an educational field, should there even be allowed one exception? I should hope not.

I see adults going for their masters degrees, that have no clue of even the most basic of computer functions. Again, I am pretty understanding in the fact that some people are just not computer literate, but how in the hell can someone "earn" and bachelors degree in the last 15 years in order to be going for their masters, and NOT have even the most basic know how about a computer?

I won't even get started about driving... ugh.

So many examples and thoughts running through my mind right now that I could write on this one forever. BUT I think you get the general idea. It's not just the kids... I think people are just stupid period these days. Line up 100 random adults and 100 random kids, and in the end I'd be willing to bet the ratio of "smart to dumb" would likely be pretty similar. The kids aren't getting dumber, lazier, or less hard working... we're all getting that way.

Sack

pooltchr
01-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Very true. Reminds me of the old joke. "You know you're in trouble when you are shopping in a dollar store, and you hear "Price check on register one" over the p.a. system!"
Steve

hondo
01-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Tap1 Tap! Tap1 Sack, do you get the comic strip " Retail"
in your area? I think you would find it hilarious.

sack316
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
no Hondo, I do not believe that strip is in any of the prints around here /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif But having worked in a retail environment for half of my working life, seems like something I'd definitely enjoy!

I've had several people tell me I should write a book, since most of my jobs I've had have either been in retail or the bar/restaurant/service industry. I guess the people know who winds up with most of the stories!

Sack

sack316
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Very true. Reminds me of the old joke. "You know you're in trouble when you are shopping in a dollar store, and you hear "Price check on register one" over the p.a. system!"
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An example of a regular conversation I have at work:

"Excuse me sir, how much is this?"
"It's a dollar"
"Oh wow, that's great. Well, how much is this then?"
"It's also a dollar. Everything you find in here will be a dollar. If there is any exception something may be less than a dollar, but nothing will ever be more than a buck."
"Oh wow, that's so cool", they say as they stand right next to an Everything $1 sign, "So then how much is that?"
Enter sound of hand slapping against forehead.

Also included is:

"Where is you're big things of motor oil?"
"Sir/M'am, you WISH you could find motor oil for a buck these days."

and

"Do y'all have dog food (or insert many other items here)?"
"Sure, let me show you"
walking customer to item and pointing it out
"That's it? You don't have bigger bags (larger quantities, etc.)"
"No sir/m'am, we just sold the last 50 lb. bag like 5 minutes before you walked in"

And my absolute favorite is when someone calls the store, and tells me about how they were charged for an extra item or two, and will then proceed to spend five bucks in gas to drive back up there to immediately try to get their one dollar back.

Ugh. I digress... still gotta go to work in a bit and would like to show up with at least some small faith in humanity /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

S0Noma
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
An example of a regular conversation I have at work:

"Excuse me sir, how much is this?"
"It's a dollar"
"Oh wow, that's great. Well, how much is this then?"
"It's also a dollar. Everything you find in here will be a dollar. If there is any exception something may be less than a dollar, but nothing will ever be more than a buck."
"Oh wow, that's so cool", they say as they stand right next to an Everything $1 sign, "So then how much is that?"
Enter sound of hand slapping against forehead.

Also included is:

"Where is you're big things of motor oil?"
"Sir/M'am, you WISH you could find motor oil for a buck these days."

and

"Do y'all have dog food (or insert many other items here)?"
"Sure, let me show you"
walking customer to item and pointing it out
"That's it? You don't have bigger bags (larger quantities, etc.)"
"No sir/m'am, we just sold the last 50 lb. bag like 5 minutes before you walked in"

And my absolute favorite is when someone calls the store, and tells me about how they were charged for an extra item or two, and will then proceed to spend five bucks in gas to drive back up there to immediately try to get their one dollar back.

Ugh. I digress... still gotta go to work in a bit and would like to show up with at least some small faith in humanity /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack
---------------------------------

I was in a local WalMart one time trying to add some tropical fish to one of my tanks. This particular fish does better in groups so I was there to buy several.

WalMart Employee: 'Ok sir, how many fish would you like?'

Me: 'A half a dozen should do it.'

WE: (Blank stare - pause - then...)

'A half a dozen? How many is that?'

True story, I kid you not. I was flabbergasted.

moblsv
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I bought something a while ago and the total came to $6.03 (actually, I don't remember the exact numbers, but the point is the same) so I gave the kid 10.03, so I wouldn't get a bunch of change. The kid looked at me with a blank stare for a few seconds and then said, with a bit of a stoned "dude" inflection, "that's just too weird" and proceeded to give me back my three cents along with an additional 97 cents in change.