PDA

View Full Version : WPA Drug Testing in 2008

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
As some people know, I am on the Board of Directors of the WPA--- and would like to make the following announcement:

In order to be in compliance with the IOC and to bring credibility to our sport, the WPA will be performing drug tests at all WPA World Championship events from the present-on.

The winner of each event plus a few players chosen randomly during each World Championship will be tested. The test is non-invasive. A urine sample will be taken from the selected player in a controlled environment by an official tester sent by the Olympic Committee of that particular country.

At this point, the events where testing will be mandatory will be the 14.1 WC, 9 Ball WC---Both men and women's events, 8 Ball WC, Junior WC, Wheelchair WC, and any other World Championship events that may take place this year and forward. We have already started testing with last November's Junior WC.

The player associations will be given information regarding the prohibitive drugs. At this time, alcohol is not on the list of prohibitive drugs.

Not only is it important for there to be drug testing if we are to be considered for the Olympic games (which is not totally out of the question) and to seek out corporate sponsorship, (which is definitely not out of the question) but it is vitally important that the results of such tests be favorable.

Players associations and federations are encouraged to begin drug-free pool campaigns as well as to start drug testing on national and even local levels.

Fran

Artemus
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Fran, have they printed a list of prohibitive drugs yet?

If so, could you post them?

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
You can check out the WADA (World Anti Doping Agency) webiste for a list of prohibitive drugs. Some sports prohibit alcohol while others like ours, don't. That's the only difference, I believe.

Fran

Rich R.
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Players associations and federations are encouraged to begin drug-free pool campaigns as well as to start drug testing on national and even local levels.
<hr /></blockquote>
Fran, do you know of any plans to start testing WPBA players in the near future?

I would like to think that the ladies will have no problems with the testing, but the reality is that the possibility is there.

Fran Crimi
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Players associations and federations are encouraged to begin drug-free pool campaigns as well as to start drug testing on national and even local levels.
<hr /></blockquote>
Fran, do you know of any plans to start testing WPBA players in the near future?

I would like to think that the ladies will have no problems with the testing, but the reality is that the possibility is there. <hr /></blockquote>

No, I think the WPBA as well as the other North American Organizations have only just been informed about the WPA testing, Rich.

I would imagine that the players will be given notice before any testing is done on a national or local level. It is not our intent to try to catch anyone by surprise.

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
01-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Fran,
Is this what is needed to make it Olympic worthy?

DG

Artemus
01-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Here's the list: http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2008_List_En.pdf

I find it a bit unfair that Gonadotrophins are banned for men only and women can take them. I mean c'mon! We ALL need a set of brass balls to play our best pool.

Fran Crimi
01-09-2008, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fran,

DG <hr /></blockquote>

We are already on the list of Olympic worthy sports, but actually being chosen is a whole other issue. Things like drug testing and importantly, good results, will help push us ahead of other Olympic worthy sports when Olympic openings arise.

Fram

Artemus
01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fran,

DG <hr /></blockquote>

We are already on the list of Olympic worthy sports, but actually being chosen is a whole other issue. Things like drug testing and importantly, good results, will help push us ahead of other Olympic worthy sports when Olympic openings arise.
Fram <hr /></blockquote>

Can you come over and change the oil filter on my car today? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know Fran, I don't have any idea how pool could be formatted in the Olympics that would make it fair and fast enough. What game or games would they use? Should it be like a regular elimination tournament? Should it be like a Decathalon and the best overall player in multiple games got the medal? Should it be scored like ice skating??

For instance lets assume that 9-ball is chosen as the one game to decide it all. As far as I'm concerned, that would be totally RIDICULOUS! I can't think of ANY current Olympic sport that has more luck involved to determine a winner. I'm talking about "break" luck and just general rolls. I think an individual can also go through "lucky" stages, not to mention a general "hot streak" for a given day or two. Then you also have "luck of the draw" when bracketing. I think the same thing can also be said for 8 ball.

Well then, how about 14.1? That would be good because almost ALL luck is eliminated. I just don't know if a 14.1 tournament could be completed during the time frame of the Olympics from start to finish. Maybe it should be offensive only 14.1. A player starts the game with the same predetermined break shot that all contestants have and he keeps going until missing a shot. He then has to start the next rack with HIS last ball on the table and make the games to 200 or 250.

One Pocket would definitely have to be eliminated because of the length of the games.

Maybe it should be scored like ice skating. A selected group chosen for the Olympic Pool Committee would set up a whole host of shots on the table which would range in difficulty from 1-10 and the contestants would accrue points based on their successes. It might include actual pocketing of extreme cut shots, kicks, banks, masse, and jumps.

Maybe another possibility would be to set up shots of all kinds and have NOBODY shoot. The only thing that would matter is who gave the most complex geometrical formula or physics thesis that described how the shot MUST be made.

I don't know, just some passing thoughts.

marek
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Fran!
This is kind of interesting but our billiard union (Czech republic) introduced antidoping rules 3 years ago so nothing new for me.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Needless to say only one positive test was made so far, the guy was too much in love with mary jane.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Art...Good one on the Fram Filter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I left it the same for posterity.

The NOBODY shoots scenario you wrote is doable. I'll have to recommend that to the WPA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We would probably have at least 4 years to figure out a format once we were accepted. As for luck factors, I figure we're ahead of the game with pool. Look at some other sports, like luge where the order in which you go is a big deal, or lucky or unlucky climate changes where a ski course starts to slow down as it begins to snow half way through the day. Or ice skating where the rink is swept clean only after every 5th skater and you're the last in your group.

Fran

Bambu
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Mary Jane is hard to resist for some, but I dont see it as an enhancement. I also dont see how alcohol is ok, yet mary is not.
I dont know how many smelly, sloshing drunks I have had, put their arm around me and shake my hand every 5 minutes, and acting like we go way back together. I lost count years ago. It just makes you not want to play. Last night I played a guy so drunk, he stopped me to shake my hand after single shot I made. Sure this only happens at a bar, but I never saw anyone who smoked a little weed starting any trouble. Its always the alcohol that causes the fights, no matter where you go. Beer muscles, ya know?

Heretic
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> Mary Jane is hard to resist for some, but I dont see it as an enhancement. I also dont see how alcohol is ok, yet mary is not.
I dont know how many smelly, sloshing drunks I have had, put their arm around me and shake my hand every 5 minutes, and acting like we go way back together. I lost count years ago. It just makes you not want to play. Last night I played a guy so drunk, he stopped me to shake my hand after single shot I made. Sure this only happens at a bar, but I never saw anyone who smoked a little weed starting any trouble. Its always the alcohol that causes the fights, no matter where you go. Beer muscles, ya know? <hr /></blockquote>

I used to be a bar bouncer, and just trust me, the druggies are much more trouble than the drunks. Most drunks just want to bump chests until the bouncers break them up. Then they want to talk big. The druggies have vandailzed my car, slashed my tires, thrown bottles at me, tried to sneak back in, had their girlfriends come back in to hit me, pulled weapons, and went home, and came back with friends to fight the bouncers.

Fran Crimi
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> Hi Fran!
This is kind of interesting but our billiard union (Czech republic) introduced antidoping rules 3 years ago so nothing new for me.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Needless to say only one positive test was made so far, the guy was too much in love with mary jane.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Marek!

Yes, I've heard that there are already several countries doing drug testing. Only one positive in 3 years? Sounds pretty good to me. Do you know if he was suspended from tournament play for a period of time after that?

Fran

SKennedy
01-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Surely when you refer to druggies you don't mean just those who smoked some regular pot?
It has been about 35 years since my last dance with Mary Jane, but she always seemed to help my game. Now alcohol on the other hand was not helpful after a certain point. Eyes start to not be trustworthy and hand-eye coordination not quite up to snuff....
The guys shooting serious pool are generally not an issue are they?

(An unrelated question....as I get older and bigger, why do bouncers get smaller and younger? The best and most effective bouncers I know are the ones who have the biggest and friendliest smiles.)

SKennedy
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
OK guys.....clean urine for sale.....call me!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran Crimi
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> Mary Jane is hard to resist for some, but I dont see it as an enhancement. I also dont see how alcohol is ok, yet mary is not.
I dont know how many smelly, sloshing drunks I have had, put their arm around me and shake my hand every 5 minutes, and acting like we go way back together. I lost count years ago. It just makes you not want to play. Last night I played a guy so drunk, he stopped me to shake my hand after single shot I made. Sure this only happens at a bar, but I never saw anyone who smoked a little weed starting any trouble. Its always the alcohol that causes the fights, no matter where you go. Beer muscles, ya know? <hr /></blockquote>

Keep in mind that just because they won't be doing any testing for alcohol, it doesn't mean that intoxicated players would be allowed to compete. They won't.

Fran

Bambu
01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Interesting. But how can you be sure all these "druggies" did was weed? Just doesnt seem like a violent drug at all. But, its good to understand the opinions of others.

Bambu
01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Thats a good point, Fran. I never saw that in a real tournament anyway, even a local one. Usually the serious players are smarter than that.

Artemus
01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Keep in mind that just because they won't be doing any testing for alcohol, it doesn't mean that intoxicated players would be allowed to compete. They won't.
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

What and whom determines intoxication? It's probably highly unlikely to ever occur, but that could get dicey without a breathalyzer test, blood or urine test, or police field sobriety test. If an individual had alcohol on their breath, that doesn't necessarily mean intoxication and drinking alcohol isn't disallowed.

What if the player who drank and the individual who has to make the call have a history of bad blood and the decision maker is making a hair trigger call?

What if the person who has been drinking could be considered intoxicated by almost anyone by their gait but is winning their match without being belligerent or obnoxious?

What if the person just got over a bad cold or flu and ended up with an inner ear infection that happened to affect their balance but also just happened to take a couple of shots for "medicinal purposes"? Who makes the call and plays DR.?

What if the player IS intoxicated, knows they're intoxicated, but pleads vertigo from an inner ear infection and tells whomever to hit the dust and go screw themselves, just let them play?

Btw, these scenarios could very well be more likely to occur on a men's tour as opposed to women's, but you never know and can take it for granted. However, I don't know if any men's tour states that a player can't play if intoxicated unless they're threatening to use their cue as a spear to skewer someone.

CarolNYC
01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I graduated college with a 2-year degree as a Medical Lab technician-I worked in a research lab for a year,than a medical facility for 5-the DEA has classes of drugs I,II,III and so on,and the specimen is tested for those drugs specified-Urine analysis is less invasive than blood analysis, typically the least expensive, and can detect infrequent or recent single use-blood analysis is the most accurate,but invasive and hair detects drugs for a longer period-you can look on any website to find out how long drugs stay in your system-they even sell drug testing kits-you can be in a potsmoked room and just inhale it and come up positive-or through the skin from handling a bill that was used to snort coke-eating poppy seeds will give you a false positive for opiates-
I just think its a shame that billiards needs drug testing to "bring credibility to the sport"Billiards should already be a credible sport!
as for alcohol, I know a player who cant shoot without downing a beer first-also, when I first started playing, I heard players took beta-blockers so they wouldnt get nervous-
Hopefully, all the players are clean-what happens if the players fail the test?
And Artemus, like you said, who determines intoxication?

Fran Crimi
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

What and whom determines intoxication? It's probably highly unlikely to ever occur, but that could get dicey without a breathalyzer test, blood or urine test, or police field sobriety test. If an individual had alcohol on their breath, that doesn't necessarily mean intoxication and drinking alcohol isn't disallowed.

What if the player who drank and the individual who has to make the call have a history of bad blood and the decision maker is making a hair trigger call?

What if the person who has been drinking could be considered intoxicated by almost anyone by their gait but is winning their match without being belligerent or obnoxious?

What if the person just got over a bad cold or flu and ended up with an inner ear infection that happened to affect their balance but also just happened to take a couple of shots for "medicinal purposes"? Who makes the call and plays DR.?

What if the player IS intoxicated, knows they're intoxicated, but pleads vertigo from an inner ear infection and tells whomever to hit the dust and go screw themselves, just let them play?

Btw, these scenarios could very well be more likely to occur on a men's tour as opposed to women's, but you never know and can take it for granted. However, I don't know if any men's tour states that a player can't play if intoxicated unless they're threatening to use their cue as a spear to skewer someone.
<hr /></blockquote>

It's never going to be a perfect scenario all the time, Artemus. I'm sure that things will pop up here and there that we'll have to figure out. Luckily for us, drug testing is done in most sports these days, so we can seek out advice from those who have been through it, including those who don't test for alcohol.

Fran

Artemus
01-10-2008, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
It's never going to be a perfect scenario all the time, Artemus. I'm sure that things will pop up here and there that we'll have to figure out. Luckily for us, drug testing is done in most sports these days, so we can seek out advice from those who have been through it, including those who don't test for alcohol.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

LOL. Have you ever been in politics? That kinda sounds like, "I'm very glad you asked that question". "Next question please". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

LOL. Have you ever been in politics? That kinda sounds like, "I'm very glad you asked that question". "Next question please". /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm in politics now (WPA). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I can't do any better than that for now. We'll just have to wait and see what arises. Hopefully, we won't have too many issues along those lines to contend with.

Fran

SPetty
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> This is kind of interesting but our billiard union (Czech republic) introduced antidoping rules 3 years ago so nothing new for me.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Needless to say only one positive test was made so far, the guy was too much in love with mary jane.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Hi marek,

My guess is that these Czech guys don't subscribe to your higher standards...

Fire Brigade Required to Free Players Trapped in Billiard Table (http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=67581)

Czech Republic: Two billiards players from the city of Karlovy Vary have been forced to summon the fire brigade to free them after they both got their hands stuck in a billiard table.

The pair were reportedly attempting to locate a missing ball when they became trapped. The incident initially struck them as funny but their mirth quickly turned to panic when the realised just how well they were stuck.

"Their trapped hands hurt them quite a bit. We have no clue at all how they could become stuck in there. In the end we had no other option but to dismantle the entire table," said a fire brigade spokesman.

MikeM
01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Actually the alcohol restrictions are laid out pretty specifically for certain sports. Shoulldn't be too hard to come up with a solution.

On a side note - check out those aeronauts and powerboaters .2, .3!?!

MM

P1. ALCOHOL
Alcohol (ethanol) is prohibited In-Competition only, in the following sports. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood. The doping violation threshold (haematological values) for each Federation is reported in parenthesis.
Aeronautic (FAI) (0.20 g/L)
Archery (FITA, IPC) (0.10 g/L)
Automobile (FIA) (0.10 g/L)
Boules (IPC bowls) (0.10 g/L)
Karate (WKF) (0.10 g/L)
Modern Pentathlon (UIPM) (0.10 g/L) for disciplines involving shooting
Motorcycling (FIM) (0.10 g/L)
Powerboating (UIM) (0.30 g/L)

Bob_Jewett
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> ... I don't have any idea how pool could be formatted in the Olympics that would make it fair and fast enough. What game or games would they use? Should it be like a regular elimination tournament? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Cue sports have already appeared twice in the World Games, in Akita, Japan (2001) and in Duisburg, Germany (2005) (unless I forgot an earlier Games). The World Games will be in Kaohsiung, Chinese Taipei, July 16-26th, 2009.

The World Games in general consist of those sports which have been recognized by the IOC as properly organized on a world-wide basis but have not yet been included in the Olympic Games. For more information on the World Games Association, see their website at http://www.worldgames-iwga.org

The cue sports disciplines planned for Kaohsiung are 3-cushion, men's nine ball, women's nine ball and snooker. I think that there will be 16 athletes in each category who will have been selected by the corresponding governing bodies.

If cue sports are accepted into the Olympic Games, I would expect the format to be similar to the one used in the World Games.

nAz
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fran,

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Fram <hr /></blockquote>

Fran very cool that the sport is considered "Olympic worthy" to bad the only way to get pocket billiards into the Olympics is by spending lots and lots of money for wineing(sp),dinning and lining the pockets of the Olympic committee.

BTW what the WPA stand on cannabis use for recreation?

Fran Crimi
01-16-2008, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Fran,

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Fram <hr /></blockquote>

Fran very cool that the sport is considered "Olympic worthy" to bad the only way to get pocket billiards into the Olympics is by spending lots and lots of money for wineing(sp),dinning and lining the pockets of the Olympic committee.

BTW what the WPA stand on cannabis use for recreation?
<hr /></blockquote>

Forget about the Olympics for a minute, Naz. Do you think it's okay for pool players to take performance enhancing drugs to compete? Do you think it's okay for any athlete in any sport to take performance enhancing drugs?

Fran

Artemus
01-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Actually, whether cannabis is on the banned list or not, I would have to strongly question whether it would be considered a performance enhancing drug. Whatever it may do for relaxation and calming the nerves is definitely negated by the other effects that worsen play and judgement. Based on the potency of the weed, you could get too stoned and have to forfeit the match because you can't pry yourself away from the food bar when it's your turn to shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Btw, S8 of the banned drug list has cannabanoids listed which is hashhish and marijuana. (thinking that NaZ needs to watch the movie "Reefer Madness") /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Do you think it's okay for any athlete in any sport to take performance enhancing drugs?

of course not, it should be monitored to be sure no one is "cheating" in anyway.

uh but if were talking marijuana i would think it should be fine for a person to smoke,snort, ingested or injected it if they want when they are not competing...
problem with that is the testing, from what i been told the THC stays in your system for up to three weeks, so it does not seem fair to the person who uses it a way from the "sport".

hey BTW would Percocet be on that list?... i know a few players that play on that, they are so relaxed and shot lights out, now that should be banned.

nAz
01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> Actually, whether cannabis is on the banned list or not, I would have to strongly question whether it would be considered a performance enhancing drug. Whatever it may do for relaxation and calming the nerves is definitely negated by the other effects that worsen play and judgement. Based on the potency of the weed, you could get too stoned and have to forfeit the match because you can't pry yourself away from the food bar when it's your turn to shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Btw, S8 of the banned drug list has cannabanoids listed which is hashhish and marijuana. (thinking that NaZ needs to watch the movie "Reefer Madness") /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

thanks for the info i was too lazy to read the list /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have no idea how anyone could play on that stuff... i could never concentrate enough to make a shot.

btw my grand mother star in that movie /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Artemus
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
The cue sports disciplines planned for Kaohsiung are 3-cushion, men's nine ball, women's nine ball and snooker. I think that there will be 16 athletes in each category who will have been selected by the corresponding governing bodies.

If cue sports are accepted into the Olympic Games, I would expect the format to be similar to the one used in the World Games. <hr /></blockquote>

If it's similar to the World games, that might be why it won't make it into the Olympics. I don't think anyone from any country is "selected" to be in the Olympics. It has to be based on Olympic trials where athletes from the country have to compete for a place.

I like the fact that 3 different tables and cue sports are played in the World games, but when you think of all the countries represented in the Olympics for different events, I wonder if there would even be that large of a total country representation in the individual disciplines of 3C, Snooker, or pool to warrant it's inclusion or draw the crowd interest.

And although 9-ball is the game of choice for the World championship, personally I think it's a lousy game to prove pool skills and dominance.
Golf and bowling still have a much better shot of being chosen before cue sports in the Olympics.

This link has all of the events for 2008. If you click on each event, it shows the qualification requirements.
http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/sports/

This link includes all of the events in ATLETICS. You can also check out the qualification requirements.
http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/sports/athletics/index.shtml

Fran Crimi
01-16-2008, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Do you think it's okay for any athlete in any sport to take performance enhancing drugs?

of course not, it should be monitored to be sure no one is "cheating" in anyway.

uh but if were talking marijuana i would think it should be fine for a person to smoke,snort, ingested or injected it if they want when they are not competing...
problem with that is the testing, from what i been told the THC stays in your system for up to three weeks, so it does not seem fair to the person who uses it a way from the "sport".

hey BTW would Percocet be on that list?... i know a few players that play on that, they are so relaxed and shot lights out, now that should be banned.

<hr /></blockquote>

The IOC feels the same way you do about monitoring players for drugs, Naz. Me too. So do most people. I guess, maybe except those who take drugs. I can't imagine they would be too happy about drug testing.

As for marijuana, I really have no idea how long it stays in your system and at what point a urine test would detect it. I guess that players who use it will have to do research on that. I would definitely advise them against listening to their friends on something as important as that. People often have opinions to suit their own agendas.

They should make sure they consult proper sources for the right information.

Fran

Cydpkt
01-16-2008, 12:56 PM
How about that Focus Factor stuff?

Qtec
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
nAz, any beneficial effects from stimulants is only temporary.
Drugs actually obstruct a player from reaching their full potential.

OTOH, I can understand that players playing long money matches- a day or two- are practically forced to take something to defeat the tiredness and stay focused. Its the nature of the game. I'm not saying its right but happens.

I agree with Fran.
Zero tolerance for drugs .
Its the only way to get pool accepted by the Olympics. Once you are an Olympic sport you can get money from the IOC . You could pump this cash into youth development etc and make pool more widely recognized as a true sport.
Its good for the game.

I'm going to stick my neck out here! LOL
I have met Fran and I wouldn't say I 'know' her but I think I know where she is coming from on this one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The biggest problem with pool is its reputation. Showing that the sport is controlled and regulated is the first step to acceptance within the Olympic circle.

When you think about it, making sure that the sport is 'clean' is the most logical first step. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q.......... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

marek
01-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi Fran!
He was suspended for 6 months from tournament play.
Marek

marek
01-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Jeez, thats funny like hell!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will make some inquiries if anyone knows the details, friend of mine has a parttime job as an emergency driver in Karlovy Vary, maybe he will know something more spicy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif