PDA

View Full Version : Bridge length

socrates
08-02-2002, 07:01 AM
Assuming no obstructing object balls are in your way and you are not bridging off of a rail do you believe the bridge length should remain relatively constant for all shots or should it be shorter for a soft or short shot and longer for a long or hard shot? Interested in what you believe and what you actually do when playing.

TonyM
08-02-2002, 09:50 PM
socrates asks:

"do you believe the bridge length should remain relatively constant for all shots or should it be shorter for a soft or short shot and longer for a long or hard shot?"

There are several ways to adjust your mechanics for different speed shots.

Snooker players tend to use a constant bridge length, and vary the back swing length for different speed shots. So soft shots would use a short backswing, and power shots would utilize a longer back swing.

Some pool players also use this approach. Another way to do it is to use a different bridge length for different shot speeds. So a short bridge would be used for soft shots, and a long bridge would be used for power shots.
Note that this approach can also affect the backswing length as well (if you used a 2" bridge length, you could, at best, get only a 2" backswing!).

I'm playing a lot of Snooker lately, so I've been leaning towards the constant bridge length, different backswing approach.

I think that this comes from the Snooker philosophy of eliminating as many variables as possible. So the cue is only long enough so that the hand can be placed at the very back of the cue, when using a standard bridge length. This places the hand at the same place on the cue each time. Therefore, when you make a normal bridge, your back arm (forearm) is automatically in the correct position, and perpindicular to the cue.

When you need more cue to reach a shot, you screw on a short extension into the back of the cue. You can see Karen Corr using this approach with her 9 ball cue as well.

But I will admit, it is not always easy to use a shorter backswing, as it can sometimes feel like you are pulling the cue up short.

Tony

NH_Steve
08-03-2002, 05:53 AM
Old time instruction suggested short to medium bridge length -- then along came Efren Reyes!!!

08-03-2002, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> Old time instruction suggested short to medium bridge length -- then along came Efren Reyes!!! <hr></blockquote>

and all the other filipinos came.

Chris Cass
08-03-2002, 03:39 PM
Hi Socrates,

With me, I believe in changing your bridge length. It all depends on the amount of follow through I want. I'm all over that wrap depending on the shot. I do however have an average bridge length is 10" and my follow through is 6". I can't believe it but I just measured it and that's true. That was with a closed bridge. My open bridge is about 9 1/4". I think it has to do with poor vision though. The longer the bridge, the more vision and less control. JMO

PS: Kato, don't think less control means no control. Let's get that straight in your mind. www.lifesgoalistorackforheide.com (http://www.lifesgoalistorackforheide.com)

Regards,

C.C.~~still shocked and amazed.

JohnnyP
08-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Did somebody mention slip stroke on the backswing? I was watching Wayne Norcross at Danny K's.

As he slipped his hand back just before cocking the trigger, you could tell he was going to put an extra touch on it.

Rod
08-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Quote CC. With me, I believe in changing your bridge length. It all depends on the amount of follow through I want. I'm all over that wrap depending on the shot. "

Same here Chris, and it is dependent on the shot calls for. They didn't make that wrap area over a foot long without a reason. lol A saying I've used for years is long to long and short to short. I've mentioned it before but it is worth repeating. Simply put, Short bridge, short on the wrap, long bridge long on the wrap. The cue is held on both ends where it compliments the shot. There are small variations of course but I use these guide lines. Longer bridge does not mean hold on the end of the cue, etc. I know you are aware of this by your quote. For those that foul a close o/b or need a little nip draw it is sure an advantage with this method. My normal bridge length is between 8 and 9 inches and since I use a slip-stroke, follow-thru has never been and issue. I do not use that stroke though for close up or specialty shots.

www.rodcannotseeupclose.com (http://www.rodcannotseeupclose.com) /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif