PDA

View Full Version : Buffett on Taxes

Gayle in MD
01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
http://www.blogmaverick.com/2007/12/11/warren-buffett-taxes-and-the-presidency/

LWW
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Can you show me where he has ever willingly paid the higher tax that he claims he should?

I didn't think so.

Until he does, he is another hypocrite tool of the left.

LWW

wolfdancer
01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
do you have a reading comprehension problem? That was Mark Cuban's blog....who agreed with Warren on some things, and disagreed with him on others.

"Warren Buffett has been all over the business press recently suggesting that the very rich, those on the Forbes 400 list, are taxed advantageously to the rest of the workforce. That it makes no sense that his tax bill as a percentage of income is lower than that of his secretary or housekeeper.

He is absolutely right.

It makes absolutely no sense that he, or I should pay a smaller percentage of our income than those who go to work 8 hours a day and have to save as much as they can to afford a vacation every year and stress out about whether or not they can pay their rent, mortgage or college for their kids."

Since Mark agreed with him on the tax percentages statement....he must be a shill for the left as well....in your naive,uninformed,warped view.

Gayle in MD
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since Mark agreed with him on the tax percentages statement....he must be a shill for the left as well....in your naive,uninformed,warped view.
<hr /></blockquote>

Ignorance is bliss.

A man wh knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

llotter
01-09-2008, 01:11 PM
If Mr. Buffett thinks he is undertaxed, why doesn't he just voluntarily pay what he thinks is his fair share??? Nothing is stopping him, is there? Anyone with any sense knows that the federal governmnet is about the biggest waster of money on earth and my guess is that Mr. Buffett has enough sense to pay as little as possible. To complain that he is paying too little when you is free to pay as much as he wants is hypocritical indeed. On the other hand, maybe he thinks the his employee is paying too much...but then why isn't he advocating more tax cuts?

Drop1
01-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Now now,don't confuse the Low Wage Workers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in MD
01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
It's amazing to me how the two dissenting posters avoided the crux of Mr. Buffett's (and Mark Cuban's) statements, and believe they have won by calling him a hypocrite.

Gayle in MD
01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Avoidance technique...kind of like,
"The United States doesn't torture people"

"The economy is strong."

"I looked in his eyes, and saw his soul, he'd a good man."

"The British Intelligence reports that Saddam...blah blah blah"

"The aluminumn tubes could only be for..."

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Well, I have a wide stance..." /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

"The President had decided he wasn't going to swat at flies." HUH?

Oh, all righty then... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LWW
01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Now now,don't confuse the Low Wage Workers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>
We already know you cowered in fear when offered the chance to compare IQ's ... I'm pretty sure you don't want to wager on who has the highest net worth?

Do you?

If not, please take your insulting haterade drinking comments and not interfere with peaceful conversations.

LWW
LWW

wolfdancer
01-09-2008, 03:29 PM
You remind me of the first poem I ever learned....probably in first grade:
"The Green Hobgoblin"
"What", said the Goblin, "aren't you afraid?"
"I think you're funny", said the maid"
If you were smarter then he is, and had a few more shekels then he does......what the **** would it prove? You would still be you...living in your fantasy world where you rule.
I could maybe get you a couple of other names here if you want to really match up. Problem is....they don't need to justify themselves by comparing "penis sizes" with you.

hondo
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> Can you show me where he has ever willingly paid the higher tax that he claims he should?

I didn't think so.

Until he does, he is another hypocrite tool of the left.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Hey! You can't talk about Jimmy Buffet that way!

hondo
01-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Did somebody say penis size contest? I'm in.
Define " Big." /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree with about 90% of what Mark wrote. I would only suggest that rather than a luxury excise tax, that we switch to a flat tax. If you make $50K, you pay 7% ($3500, for those who graduated from government schools /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) If you make $20Million, you pay 7% ($1.4Million)
How difficult is that concept for anyone to grasp????
Steve

Drop1
01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I was never challenged that challenge went to Wolf. He had the good sense to recognize it as a childish effort to be meaningful. I'm intelligent enough to be happy; something you are not. I hope you have more money,than Bill Gates,and pay your share of taxes. My net worth,is not even known by my wife,let alone to an artificial being in cyber space. Get help Low Wage Worker,get help.

LWW
01-10-2008, 05:03 AM
No, he recognized he had no point so he hid behind bluster and attack with a little hate mixed in.

That's why you liked it.

How's that "THE POPE'S GONNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD!" idea you were pushing last week?

Why don't you and wolfie set the haterade down and join us in the light of peace?

LWW

Gayle in MD
01-10-2008, 06:23 AM
I can always count on you to miss the central point. The point is not about Buffett, or what he does. The point is about how Bush's tax cuts, and his subsidies, and secret deals, favor the wealthy.

Gayle in Md.

LWW
01-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Then why did you name the thread after him?

Most historical revisionists wait a yr or 2 at least. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LWW

Gayle in MD
01-10-2008, 06:37 AM
No difficult at all, just not at all fair.

The wealthy can well afford to pay any kind of tax, including usage tax. The wealthy can well afford to pay accountants to find the loopholes of which they so prevalently take advantage.

The poor, and the middle class,are going into debt just to keep their heads above water. This is not a central result of taxes, but of higher fuel costs, higher medicqal and pharmeceutical costs, higher food costs, and so on. Imposing a flat tax on every single thing they buy, would only have a negative affect on them, not on the very wealthy, and upper middle class.

Also, there are charts available which prove that when REpublicans are in office, a greater percentage of wealth if owned by the richest among us, and the buying power of the middle class, or percentage of wealth owned by the middle class, goes down.

The tax structure takes advantage of poor and middle class people, anyway, but Bush's policies exacerbate that advantage in a number of ways, and even take more moeny away from programs which benefit all of society, and give it to the rich, while at the same time, removing all environmental protections from the corporate world, and business in general, which protect the health of the planet, and hence, the general health of the nation, of which a huge percentage cannot even afford health care.

Those middle class families which do not have money after expenses to invest, are further disadvantaged by Bush's tax cuts. the greatest investors in this country, are the very wealthy, not the middle class, or the poor.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
01-10-2008, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> the greatest investors in this country, are the very wealthy, not the middle class, or the poor.

Gayle in Md.
<hr /></blockquote>

Exactly! And what do the wealthy invest in? They invest in businesses that make money and create jobs. That means there are more opportunities for the poor and middle class to improve their financial situation, if they so choose. Without those investors, our entire economy would hit a brick wall.
It's not like those nasty rich people hide all their money in their mattress...they put it to work. In the process, they expect to increase their own wealth, but at the same time, the result is a stronger economy that we all benefit from.
Big business is not evil...it is what makes our economy work!
Steve

Gayle in MD
01-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Big business, as you put it, is Evil as SH*T, when there is no govwernment oversight. They dumpe employees, right when they are nearing retirement. They pollute our environment. They gouge the public, they ignore our laws, and they exploit the worker, and the consummer.

They give away jobs to illegal aliens, and outsource them to countries where they can exloit foreign workers.

Again, there is a difference between free enterprise, and corporate greed, which exploits the AMerican worker, and pollutes the environment.

The answer is not to give big business a free hand in every single arena.

As we write, jobs are down, we're heading for a recession, our national debt is soaring, and or governmnet bails out business when they fail due to their own mis-managment.

The small business owner is a world apart from big business, and corporate meglomania, Steve. What good are jobs, if government allows big business to hire illegals and drive down American wages, and outsource our jobs tothird world countries where they can get workers without paying them decent wages?

I'm all for free enterprise, with the proper oversight, just not for corporate fascist pigs.

Gayle in Md.

LWW
01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Sorry sweetheart, but government is the biggest business ever invented.

LWW

eg8r
01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No difficult at all, just not at all fair. <hr /></blockquote> Who gets to decide the definition of fair? Will the final agreed upon, non-ambiguous, definition of fair be agreed upon by all parties involved?

You start talking about fairness then start talking about abilities. Just because I have the ability to do something it does not mean that it will be fair if I actually do it.

[ QUOTE ]
The poor, and the middle class,are going into debt just to keep their heads above water. <hr /></blockquote> This is a generalization and you know it. The middle and poor class do not need all those LCD's and plasma TVs but if they will fit on their credit card you know they went out and bought one. That is just one example.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
How many of their houses have YOU ben in, Ed? How do you know what they own, spend, or need.

The Middle class is bad off also. Why do you think millions of middle class people in this country can't afford medical insurance? Do you think it just might have anything to do with corporate greed? Anything to do with people getting paid off by corporate contributors?

We need public financed elections, and stricter laws to thwart special interests, corporate power is out of control. YOu want Big Business, and corporate power, running the whole damned country? Vote Republican!

Gayle in Md.

LWW
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>Why do you think millions of middle class people in this country can't afford medical insurance?

Gayle in Md.<hr /></blockquote>
Could the fact that a gubmint which fought 2 world wars and ran a surplus for most of 60 year on a 5%-7% tax rate yet now is so bloated it can't survive on several times that taxpayer load?

LWW

eg8r
01-10-2008, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many of their houses have YOU ben in, Ed? How do you know what they own, spend, or need.
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, probably more than you. However that is besides the point, I don't need to be there to know LCDs are flying off the shelf's and put on credit cards and the poor do not need an LCD.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think millions of middle class people in this country can't afford medical insurance? <hr /></blockquote> I don't know all the reasons and I don't believe your generalizations. One example of why I think they cannot afford medical insurance is because they are financed up their necks in mortgages they did not need to take on, cars that they don't need and credit cards which bought LCDs they did not need. When mentioning houses and cars and I am not saying they don't need a house or a car, I am simply saying that they did not need the 2500 sq ft home with upgraded kitchen or the brand new Accord from the dealership.

eg8r

Drop1
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
No it was the Baptists last week,the Catholics get next week.I could never hate you Low Wage Worker,not as much as you hate yourself.