PDA

View Full Version : What is a "CUSTOM" pool cue?

BLACKHEART
01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
As a BUYER, what do you consider a "CUSTOM" pool cue? Is a "ONE OF A KIND", a CUSTOM? Does it have to be ordered by a customer before it's built, to be "CUSTOM"? Does it have to display all of the conditions requested by the customer, to be considered a "CUSTOM". For example is a '32 Ford built by Ford & redesigned by a body shop a custom? Or just a car that has body work. Please, this is for BUYERS ONLY. Thanks...JER

Heretic
01-10-2008, 01:10 AM
this is an odd coincidense, because I was just talking with a cue maker yesterday, and the discussion was about exactly how I wanted a stick to look and feel. I was ordering weight, hit, appearance, length of pro taper, position of balance point, and even appearance.
I am not sure this is necessary for a stick to be custom though. I would say that almost any non production cue, or even a production cue with alterations for appearance or performance, can be considered custom. After all this can easily be considered a relative term, and this would make the definition subjective to the people directly involved. Personally, I prefer a cue that is not too flashy , but play exceptionally well (I actually prefer the Plane Jane look....I think there is an elegance in the simplicity of a nice piece of wood). If I were to special order a custom cue stick, I would like to be able to dictate weight, balance, hit and the tip.

Cydpkt
01-10-2008, 02:34 AM
I recently ordered a cue. I dropped my the shop and we discussed wood and design as well as tip preference. We then went to his table and "hit" some balls around so he could see how I shot. He said that he could build the cue to be the feel I was looking for by watching how I shot. (4oz shaft instead of 3.5, longer butt section and slightly shorter shaft for less deflection and vibration) To me that is a custom cue, designed by me (with a lot of input from him) and built to compliment my style. My biggest complaint was that my current cue has started giving me more vibration in the last 6-9 months. Yeah I could have bought a new shaft and worked from there but I thought it was about time I upgraded not to mention I have someone I can take the cue to if or when I do something to it. To me a custom cue can be a production cue that is modified or adapted for the player not a one of a kind cue. (but hey that is just my thoughts and according to my wife I should keep my thoughts to a minimum.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
01-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Jer,
I think a custom cue is any cue made according to the specifications of an individual purchaser-like buying a bike stock, now you chrome it out,paint it,stroke/bore it,etc..now its done the way I want it done /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The cue you made me was custom-ebony/ivory
I just received a cue from Eurowest with this certificate:
SiILVER & BLACK
African select black ebony multi-pointer (6-pointer) with Elforyn and German silver inlays-points and inlay work are done by hand and pre-cut with the aid of CNC technology-Flat radial pin with an Elforyn joint-grade 5a shaft with elforyn ferrule and Tiger everest tip-weight is 19.5 ounces-This cue was specially designed and built for Carol-
there it is-specialy designed and built for me-CUSTOM /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hey, in another post you were going into the hospital-your in my prayers-stay well,okay?
Carol

dg-in-centralpa
01-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Interesting question... for me, custom means that I have it made to my specs and designs. I play with a Richard Black "Balabushka" model and he is a custom maker, I don't consider this a custom cue, since he makes them all the time. JMHO

DG

Artemus
01-10-2008, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> As a BUYER, what do you consider a "CUSTOM" pool cue? Is a "ONE OF A KIND", a CUSTOM?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> I think a "ONE OF A KIND" could be just a "ONE OF A KIND" or a "ONE OF A KIND" Custom depending on whether ALL of the playing specs are what the customer wants, it doesn't matter whether you or Schon makes the cue. If a buyer takes it "as is" with not many playing specs built into it before taking possession, then it's ONE OF A KIND. It all boils down to splitting some hairs and following definitions out to the letter of the law.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>
Does it have to be ordered by a customer before it's built, to be "CUSTOM"? Does it have to display all of the conditions requested by the customer, to be considered a "CUSTOM".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> I think the customer can order it before it's made to be custom or it can already be made as long as the PLAYING SPECS that the customer wants are then modified to his liking and the customer is PLEASED enough with the cuemakers design to buy it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>
For example is a '32 Ford built by Ford &amp; redesigned by a body shop a custom? Or just a car that has body work. Please, this is for BUYERS ONLY. Thanks...JER <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>
IMO, anytime it leaves the ORIGINAL manufacturer or cuemaker and gets in the hands of a buyer who then takes it elswhere for modifications, it's "Customized".