PDA

View Full Version : Jump Satisfaction!

08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
As some may know, I have within the last week been accelerating my skills with the dart stroke in jumping, since up until now I sucked big time with that stroke. Well last night I had the situation where the CB was too close for a under hand stroke and was needing to hit a down table OB faded towards one of the corner pockets. So I went for the dart since I had been having personal success with it at home in practice. This ain't no Kodak moment folks but I executed the stroke very deliberately, made the hop and pocket my ball plus drew shape(ok some bit of blind luck on the shape) and proceeded to run out to win.

Ya know you make some shots that stick with you for a while, and this being the FIRST dart stroke I've attempted in competition being successful sure fits as a confidence builder for the future. Thanks to everyone for their advice and support in the quest for learning to jump short...sid~~~gonna make Spiderman suffer a little more now hitting the dart, his own personal specialty shot(which he is already REAL good at)

9 Ball Girl
08-02-2002, 09:22 AM
My friend won one of those new bungee jump sticks from the TriState Tour. He was in the pool hall last nite and was showing me and Naz his jumping skills pocketing a ball from one end of the table to the other and from about 2-3 inches away. Pretty impressive. He said that new bungee cue works really well. Naz tried it and liked it too.

I'm assuming you used a regular jump cue or your own playing cue to execute your jump. At least you did it like a "real man". /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

08-02-2002, 09:34 AM
Yea, I have a Lucasi JC I used for the shot. I'll be working with a new Stealth once I get it re-tipped with Q-Guy's phenolic tip, but for now the Lucasi is a helluva second choice...sid

rackmup
08-02-2002, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I'm assuming you used a regular jump cue or your own playing cue to execute your jump. At least you did it like a "real man".<hr></blockquote>

Oh 9-ball girl, don't be so foolish! Sid (someone I can call a friend, I hope) owns something like 11 specialty jump cues! Only recently, has he become proficient with them.

Apparently, he has found a favorite among them and is progressing "leaps" (haha...yes, the pun WAS intended) and bounds with it.

I'm happy for him as at his age, coupled with the "tequila consumption" issues he has, the weight of carrying around 11 jump cues, two playing cues and a break cue, had to be causing him some serious back problems.

Regards,

Ken (first met Sid at Click's in Dallas when he came strolling in with a caddy, carrying all of his cues fully assembled in a staff-sized golf bag)

Q-guy
08-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Another stroke you may want to try, is a free hand stroke. What you do is, lock your elbow of your bridge hand (arm) against your side and keep your bridge in the air similar to doing a masse shot. You use a standard under hand stroke. It is very good for tall players and players with small hands that can't get up on their fingers. I think this is the easiest way to jump once you get the feel of it. It is amazing what you can teach yourself to do.

08-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Q-Guy...I see,,,good idea. I've made a note to myself to incorporate that into my time on the home table...sid

08-02-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm seldom ever quilty of NOT standing out in a crowd. Not always a good thing, but hey, "I is what I is, only now I jump better." sid~~~lookin' for #12 to make an equal dozen

Chris Cass
08-02-2002, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Another stroke you may want to try, is a free hand stroke. What you do is, lock your elbow of your bridge hand (arm) against your side and keep your bridge in the air similar to doing a masse shot. You use a standard under hand stroke. It is very good for tall players and players with small hands that can't get up on their fingers. I think this is the easiest way to jump once you get the feel of it. It is amazing what you can teach yourself to do. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Q-Guy,

That free stroke jump is great with a full cue also with short guys like me.

Regards,

C.C.~~airborne ranger, U.S. midwest cornfields .......

9 Ball Girl
08-02-2002, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Sid (someone I can call a friend, I hope) owns something like 11 specialty jump cues! Only recently, has he become proficient with them. <hr></blockquote>
Sid /ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif! Who knew that you used such specialty cues?!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I'm happy for him as at his age, coupled with the "tequila consumption" issues he has, the weight of carrying around 11 jump cues, two playing cues and a break cue, had to be causing him some serious back problems.<hr></blockquote>

Mmmm...tequila--the nectar of the Gods /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

Wendy~~the "real man" statement was quoted from one of the Pearl's statements during one of his Cardiff matches on a jump issue /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
08-02-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm a witness, it was a really fine shot. I had just arrived at our mutual friend's gameroom and the game was already in progress. The table was an 8-ft gandy, and the O/B to C/B distance was about five feet with the interfering ball about 10 inches in front of the C/B. Ol' Sid hopped the interference, pocketed the shot in the corner, and backed up about four inches to hold his position.

SpiderMan

08-02-2002, 01:57 PM
If that was 10" then I have some another part of my life to be REALLY proud of! Seriously, I'd of jumped under hand at 10, we're seeing two balls width max for that event...sid~~~jus' rectifying an error