PDA

View Full Version : New practice drill, please tell me what you think.

tjlmbklr
01-12-2008, 01:55 PM
If there are players on this forum that suffer from the same issue(s) I do. Lack of real table time. Then listen up. What I mean by table time is real opponents. I hate practice it's boring and redundant at times. So instead of the typical repetitious drills over and over I like the Ghost type drills that require you to beat the imaginary person or yourself for that matter.

One drill/game I am sure all us have heard of is the 10ball one where you rack the balls break and count how many balls you make before you miss. Then add up 10 racks and the total is compared to a chart that puts you in a different ranked category. That is a fun one but I decided to up the anti. I haven't picked a name for it yet but for now "Consecutive 10 Ball Rotation" will work.

The rules go as follows:

The goal is to get a perfect score of 8 points.

You start out racking 3 ball (rotation, ball in hand after break) If you run them you do 4 ball and so on and so forth

Each round is 1 point, a failed rack or ran rack a point.

If you were to do a perfect 8 points you would have never missed till you ran a rack of 10 ball. (3ball, 4ball, 5ball, 6ball...etc, etc.)

When you miss you go back 1 ball down, miss again go down again. Remember every turn is a point. You only can go back as far as the 3 balls again. So in theroy you could end up with 50 points if you are that determined to keep shooting and missing.

This is a rough draft I thought of last night with about 5 Coronas aiding in my decision.

Let me know what you think. It would be cool to get people to try this and see how many posters can knock out 8 points right away. And it would also be cool to see peolple post videos of them trying it too.

TJ

Artemus
01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Let's up the ante some more and really get you to focus. Every time the ghost whups your butt, send $10 to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (nuthin' like playing for money)

wolfdancer
01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I think you should have a 3 Coronas limit....them limes will cause acid reflux.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A pretty good idea/variation though...since I do use the equal offense routine

BigRigTom
01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea.
I'll try it and post my results...but...it will be a day or two as I am in process of re-mounting the florescent lights in the garage so the lighting over the pool table will be more intense while also smoothing out the cosistency of the light around the rest of the garage.

I got myself into this mess trying to video record the power break in another thread... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
In order to get good video I need good lighting.
In order to get good lighting I needed to move the ceiling lights.
In order to move the lights I had to take down all the crap I had stored above the lights.
In order to take down all the crap I had to re-organize the garage and throw stuff out.
In order to do all that crap I had to drink a lot of MGD's.
In order to drink a lot of MGD's I had to go to the store and get them.
In order to do all the above I have to rest from doing all the above.

Who has time to practice or video record anything.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I thing I will just have a few more MGD's or maybe switch to the DOSXX when the MGD's run out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll get to that practice and video recording eventually though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bradb
01-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I've tried just about everything in practice to keep it from being boring.

The best option I like is to play against myself, only I wear a hat when the other guy shoots to make it easier to keep track.

I like to pretend "The hat" is the best shooter in town and I'm playing him for a big wad of cash. This may seem weird but "The hat" beats me most of the time!... its all a mind set this game... sometimes "The hat" makes shots I can't when he has me in trouble... he's got a wicked down table off angle.

I've thought about taking "the Hat" along with me when I play league! but I don't trust him! the SOB might turn against me just for spite!!

-brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tjlmbklr
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> I've tried just about everything in practice to keep it from being boring.

The best option I like is to play against myself, only I wear a hat when the other guy shoots to make it easier to keep track.

I like to pretend "The hat" is the best shooter in town and I'm playing him for a big wad of cash. This may seem weird but "The hat" beats me most of the time!... its all a mind set this game... sometimes "The hat" makes shots I can't when he has me in trouble... he's got a wicked down table off angle.

I've thought about taking "the Hat" along with me when I play league! but I don't trust him! the SOB might turn against me just for spite!!

-brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good post, gave me a good laugh. I think I'll try this.

Ralph_Kramden
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I like "The Hat" idea. I use a marker when I play 1 pocket against myself but forget which one of me has the marked pocket. Maybe wearing a hat will me reminded if I am ahead or losing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> I like "The Hat" idea. I use a marker when I play 1 pocket against myself but forget which one of me has the marked pocket. Maybe wearing a hat will me reminded if I am ahead or losing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good luck against "The Hat" Ralph.

My wife came down one day and watched me practice for a while, then she asked... "Why can't you make up your mind? either play with the hat on or off!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif