PDA

View Full Version : CAN'T GET IT UP

DEADSTOKE32
08-02-2002, 02:33 PM
OK I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM JUMPING BALLZ WITH A WHOLE CUE.I LOOKED IN BOOKS ASK PEOPLE THE WHOLE THING. AND JUST CAN'T GET IT UP .WHAT 2 DO ,HELP ME.OR SHOULD I LOOK IN 2 A JUMP CUE .HAD B/J IN THE PAST BUT I SOLD THEM ..
SO IF SOMEBODY CAN HELP ..
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO.........

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Have you tried holding the cue butt with a lighter grip?

I found that one of the reasons I wasn't executing the jump shot well, with my shooting cue, was that I was holding the cue too tight.

Just a thought..

SpiderMan
08-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Had B/J and still couldn't get it up? Hmmm ....

Sorry, Rackmup, I should have let you compose a response to this one /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DEADSTOKE32:</font><hr> OK I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM JUMPING BALLZ WITH A WHOLE CUE.I LOOKED IN BOOKS ASK PEOPLE THE WHOLE THING. AND JUST CAN'T GET IT UP .WHAT 2 DO ,HELP ME.OR SHOULD I LOOK IN 2 A JUMP CUE .HAD B/J IN THE PAST BUT I SOLD THEM ..
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO......... <hr></blockquote>

Vagabond
08-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Howdy,
My undrestanding is that u are from south.please take trip to Greensboro,NC and watch Earl Strickland practice.He is an expert with the full cue or watch any top pro and u can learn.I do not use a Jump cue and I use my regular playing cue. good Luck.
Vagabond

08-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Didn't I go over this with you??? Sheeeeeesh! LOL I told you to get up there and don't shy away from the ball...approach it with confidence &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;HIT IT&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
--Here's something to think about.
**Think of a basketball on the floor try getting the ball to bounce without picking it up first. It's tough. But the more and the harder you tap you realize that the ball begins to rise correct? Eventually you've got the ball in a dribble.

***Now, use that knowledge to think of the cue ball... in this case it's even harder but since you've seen people jump balls, you know it's not impossible right?... so there's your first positive thought.
--now, since the cue ball is not made of rubber like the basketball, you know that the efforts into making that ball jump has to be more. By making the ball jump you have to realize that you have to impact that ball into the hard slate, forcing it to find the rebound of that initial impact... in other words, it has to find a place to go. The energy that you give that ball initially is going to duplicate it in the opposite as feedback. Just like the basketball, the more you tapped the more action you got from the ball. In the case of pool, the more you practice the amount of pressure and height of the cue, the higher you'll be able to jump and then you'll see that you'll be able to determine distance as well.

You've heard of that saying... "For every action there's a re-action"?... that's exactly what I mean. You know you can call me and we can talk more. I'm sure someone else should have more to add to my comments as well. The people on this board are more than willing to help.

I hope it works out babe... let me know.

Snooky

Eric.
08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Art,

Jumping balls with a full cue is all about technique. You can't expect the same results that you would with a Jump Stump but you should be close. Try using a light-medium grip. Use two or three fingers only and a little snap from the wrist. You have to stroke it firmly and straight. I imagine "throwing" the cue into the cueball, firmly. Use centerball until you get better, then try english. A good way to figure out where to hit the cueball is to make a chalk circle on it. Turn the circle up so that it is at a 45 degree angle to the slate. Aim into the middle of the circle. You should be punching the cueball into the slate.
I can usually jump as accurately with a full cue, at distances to two balls or more, as with a stump.
Sorry for the poor explanation, I'll show you at the Open if you remind me.
Oh, this works on a real table, don't know about the Virtual thing, Patrick?

Eric &gt;shade tree instructor &amp; Monday morning quarterback

08-02-2002, 04:40 PM
There ought to be a smiley face you can add to the message for the B/J expression! But then again that expression would be short lived, at least for this "shooter" sid~~~rushes more than his stroke but has FUN

08-02-2002, 04:45 PM
True, and I'll suggest/ask an item. Is your tip a hard tip? I have a hell of a time jumping full stick with less than a hard tip. To tell the truth I don't try jumping full balls very often with a play cue but if I were to, I'd grab a 16oz wall cue with a really thin tip, leaving it unchalked and hit with that cue...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 05:33 PM
Sid,
I have a Talisman Pro Hard tip... and love it.

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Tom...I use Talismans too and swear by them. Recently though I found 2 I have on different cues delaminated(one ever so slight, only found under a microscope.) I can't without doubt say that one of them might not have been from the beta test group but I can say that one for sure was supposed to be first line. Thing is that I get my tips installed for $$$ and having to replace these things when you see there is maybe over a year of time left on them is getting costly to me. Frankly I am surprised in the discoveries, I thought these tips to be infallible. Tony's been very good in his dispersal of tips to me, I just wish the expenses weren't stacking up for these re-installs due to delaminations...sid~~~uses XH Talismans by choice

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Sid,

I do my own tips.. have for almost 20 years.
No lathe, just an exacto knife, file and different grades of sand paper.. 600, 1200, 1500 and 2000 at about $1 a sheet from an automotive store. I cut 2 inch squares out of each sheet and progress from the lowest to the highest for a very good finish on my tips.

Harold Acosta
08-02-2002, 07:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DEADSTOKE32:</font><hr> OK I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM JUMPING BALLZ WITH A WHOLE CUE.I LOOKED IN BOOKS ASK PEOPLE THE WHOLE THING. AND JUST CAN'T GET IT UP .WHAT 2 DO ,HELP ME.OR SHOULD I LOOK IN 2 A JUMP CUE .HAD B/J IN THE PAST BUT I SOLD THEM ..
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO......... <hr></blockquote>

My friend, it is hard to get it up with a Break/Jump cue. I suggest you use a shorty to get it up like you want; therefore only a jump cue could do it for you.

Good things come in small bottles....

rackmup
08-03-2002, 07:49 AM
Spiderman,

I had to bite my tongue, disconnect the keyboard and cuff myself behind my back to stay away from that "open door!"

Regards,

Ken (can't be a wiseguy 24/7...it just wouldn't be prudent)

Sid_Vicious
08-03-2002, 08:18 AM
How do you make certain you have a flat sanded surface w/o roll off on the ferulle? Also, do you have a clamping device for the glue set period? Thanks...sid

Tom_In_Cincy
08-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Sid,

I use DuroGel glue. Quick setting (less than 10 minutes). To apply a small amount of pressure on the tip and shaf. I do use a rig that I devised to apply this pressure, but it is not a clamp, but it acts like one.

The surface of the ferrule and the base of the tip are flattened by use of a flat file. I also use a small 90 angle tool to check the ferrule surface.

I also scribe (make small cuts) into the ferrule surface and the base of the tip. I do this to help the glue and surfaces make better contact. I have never had a tip come off while playing.

From start to finish, it takes me about 35 minutes to replace one tip. This includes removal of old tip, surface conditioning of ferrule and new tip, removing excess tip from the sides, conditioning the sides of the tip cleaning the ferrule of any excess glue, burnishing and finally the shaping the tip.

Cutting the sides of the tip is the most critical part of the process. I use a very sharp exato knife and only make small cuts and lots of them. I have to avoid any damage to the ferrule. Same as you would using a lathe. Then the burnishing. Starting with 600 sandpaper and then 1000, 1500 and 2000, to make the sides smooth and shiny.

I really like doing this, its kinda like working on your own car. Doing a tune-up or oil change. It makes me feel good too, when someone asks "who and how much did you pay someone to put your tip on?"

I have been using Talisman Pro Hard tips for almost two years and still am impressed. Morri, Triangles, LePros, Elk masters, French Champions are what I have in my stash of tips. I got these tips from friends that will buy a few and give me some for putting them on their cues. But, I paid for the Talisman. I purchased 25 of them when Tony had a special and still have 20 of them left.. a good supply for me.

Chris Cass
08-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Hi Deadstroke,

I'm sure you've heard the lighten up thing on the grip. The thing I'm not sure of is are you choking up on the cue? You'll have to move your hand up the wrap to the beginning. This will lighten it up. The hardest part of jumping with a full cue is closeness and getting the cb to stay down on the table. You might be trapping the ball. Try moving the hit down a bit. Hope this helps somewhat? Also, use a longer bridge. All these things come into play bud.

Regards,

C.C.