PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite pool cue accessories?

1Time
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Hopefully this thread will bring attention to some of the better pool cue accessories out there.

From billiards glove to shaft cleaner to tip burnisher to any product used with your pool cue(s), what are your favorite pool cue accessories?

My favorite is a Willard's tip scuffer, nickel shaped. I need to buy a dime shaped one.

irish634
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't really have favorites but in my case now is:
<ul type="square">
A couple cubes of Master chalk
A couple strips of 120-150 grit sand paper (I can't remember which)
A terry washcloth (perfect size for the case)
A piece of leather for burnishing.
Old set of rules - reminds me I need to print the new ones.
[/list]

I don't really have anything else in there.

BigRigTom
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I like the Ultimate Tip Tool and also the Tip Tapper.
I have a Master Chalk Cube on a stick that I put in my back right pocket while playing and I have a piece of Chamois about 8" square I use to clean the shafts of both my Viking VX10 and my Scorpion BJ cue.

Of course the most favorite accessory is my Cue Case. I have the Instroke Cowboy 2B4S which has a personalized brass harness plate with my team name and my name mounted on the small pocket flap.
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-forum/images/InstrokeCowboy2B4Scase.jpg http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-forum/images/InstrokeCowboycasewithbrassnameplate.jpg

Jude_Rosenstock
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> Hopefully this thread will bring attention to some of the better pool cue accessories out there.

From billiards glove to shaft cleaner to tip burnisher to any product used with your pool cue(s), what are your favorite pool cue accessories?

My favorite is a Willard's tip scuffer, nickel shaped. I need to buy a dime shaped one. <hr /></blockquote>

There was a thread like this on azbilliards not too long ago and I refrained from replying but I feel compelled to say something now.

Honestly, I think at least 90% of the cue products out there are useless. Once you've purchased your cue, the only things that are necessary/useful are things that obviously protect your cue or improve your play.

I like most personal bridge-heads because for the longest time, many of the rooms I played in had old, worn and SHARP metal bridge heads. Now that 99% of my time is spent at New York City's finest poolroom, it's never an issue.

I also like most cue holders and it really doesn't matter which. I always have a fear that my cue will get kicked over and splinter into a million pieces. These handy devices are 10 bucks usually and fit on most tables. Get one that's cheap and easy to use because you'll inevitably lose it.

I don't like any tip scuffer or shaper. Why? Because I routinely use chalk. In fact, I chalk before every shot. Every time you chalk up, you shape your tip so by using a tip-shaper, you're pretty much wasting your time. I'm sure tip companies LOVE these products because the only thing they're good for is wearing down your tip ten times as fast.

I hate ding-removal products. It's a sport. If you're worried about dings, you are a "pool enthusiast". If you are a pool "player", get used to them. They're unavoidable.

I hate cue cleaner products. Go to Rite-Aid. Get ANY product you would use to clean and go nuts. I like Soft Scrub. It costs 1/3 what most products go for, you get 10 times more and you can clean your toilet with it when you're done.

I hate pocket markers. Just send me a check for $20 and I will personally send a text message to your opponent and tell him you're shooting for the corner pocket.

I like the white old bar rag. It's good for wiping down your hands, cue, face and cleans up messes lickity spit. I think everyone should have one.

For cue smoothness, I like washing my hands. Considering what I witness in public bathrooms, I think everyone would benefit from this.

Thank you. I'm here all week.

BigRigTom
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Hey Jude!
Most of us are not a good as you are at the table so we have to show off with our accessories.

I have one of those personal Corona Leather Bridge Heads in my bag too, I just don't use it too much since I play mostly on bar tables.
O YES!
I also have a pair of Ray Bans that I wear to help reduce the glare of the table lights especially when playing in dark bars.

I like the accessories and a gadgets even if they are a waste of money. It beats blowing hard earned bucks on drugs and alcohol, or losing it on wagers with guys like Jude here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jude_Rosenstock
01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>
I also have a pair of Ray Bans that I wear to help reduce the glare of the table lights especially when playing in dark bars.

<hr /></blockquote>

You know, I can't even bring myself to wear sunglasses when I play poker. Call me a purist but I only bust out the sunglasses for the sun.

wolfdancer
01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I like Tangaruay &amp; Tonic. The first glass calms the nerves down, and lets you shoot to your potential. After the 4th or 5th drink, winning or losing does not seem that important, so you enjoy the match even more.....
My second favorite is "The Sandman" shaper...a curved shaper about 4" long in a leather holder that is easy to carry around. A little expensive at $25, but it's metal and should last a few lifetimes....

BigRigTom
01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
New Yorkers don't get enough sun to justify owning sun glasses.
I used to live in Chicago and same there.

In Southern California I have several pairs and wear them almost as much as my reading glasses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Of course there is always the cool factor as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cydpkt
01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Sounds like Jude spends too much time at the head of the table watching us slam some quarters down. When we are sitting down waiting for our chance to rack we enjoy going thru our swiss army cue case and comparing notes.
All kidding aside I have a couple pieces of chalk. I can't stand the chalk that has a cavernous hole thru it. I also carry a tip pic and the schedules for my different league nights. I have shown up to the wrong room too many times and am tired of it. Some pens or pencils for keeping score and a small card with the team member names and phone numbers on it. Oh yeah and as many quarters as I can carry.

Deeman3
01-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Money

Cydpkt
01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I guessing large denominations for Deeman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman3
01-16-2008, 09:27 AM
On occasion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SKennedy
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
A pretty young blond caddy to carry my cue case? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bsmutz
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I guess after a lifetime of consumption it would be impossible to remember it's spelled Tanqueray? web page (http://www.tanqueray.com/ ) I think "Tanguaray" is a special drink that the astronauts enjoy in space: Tang and gin /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

allanpsand
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I keep an ultimate tool handy when my medium hard tip gets a bit too shiny (about once a month or so). Along with that I keep a Scotch brite pad to burnish the shaft (also about once a month).

I keep about four gloves handy of different designs (I select the one that gets the most attention - strictly for distraction purposes.)

I also keep a couple of extra Masters chalks in case I'm in a place that doesn't believe in keeping up.

I use a special stick with a 36" shaft that brings my stick length to 70" (I'm 6-5 and this length seems to fit my body balance and stance. That shaft has a medium hard tip on it that requires a firm bridge hand to keep from mis-cueing.

To hold everything, I use a soft-side shotgun case. Let's of room and I get more than a few good stares on walking into a pool hall. (Even had a manager come up and ask to ensure it really held pool sticks.)

ras314
01-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks to this thread I went through my old case and cleaned out a lot of old junk (receipts, business cards, extra chalk,ect.) Left in it a leather bridge head, chalk holder with blue masters, micro-fiber towel, red circle cb, Aramith green logo cb, and a glove. So I guess the stuff left is my favorite junk though I almost never use the glove.

I keep the red circle for pool halls and the green logo for bar tables. Used to carry a plain magnetic cb for coin tables till I had too many fusses from owners trying to claim the thing when I left. Oddly I seldom have any bar table player complain when I ask to switch cbs, even when the local cb was a big heavy old ugly looking mud ball.

I also carry a Leatherman tool that has a good file for shaping house cue tips. Used to use a tip pick until I switched to layered tips. Now have a small lathe for replacing and shaping tips, don't need to mess with a good tip for many hours of play.

bignick31985
01-17-2008, 04:04 PM
My favorite accessory is my Schmelke box case. In it I keep 2 cubes of chalk (always new ones), Cue-Tech cleaning solution for the shafts, couple extra tips.

In my cheap-o Action simulated ostrich case I keep my APA cards, more chalk, hand powder (not used almost ever), a cloth for cleaning, my piece of leather and my shaft slicker as well. But I dont use that much anymore. I've got a cue cube, but I'm hesitant to use it on my Moori tip.

Heretic
01-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I have a very nice hand made wood case. I have it because I got a deal, and it cost me the same as a good leather covered one would have. I have a number of scuffers that I pack around in my car and coat pockets. These are mostly for use on bar sticks (we all know how good those tips can be). I also have masters chalk attached to a small pocket knife, with a file on it...this is just so I don't lose the chalk, and for cleaning fingernails...I have tried the cloth "Slickers", but I really don't think they do any better than a napkin. If I cannot even find a napkin, I suppose I could use a dollar bill in a pinch

wolfdancer
01-18-2008, 01:48 AM
I skipped school the day they taught spelling. The bar the other nite at the pool match...only had Monarch gin....I think
it's also used as a disinfectant and paint remover....

Paul_Mon
01-19-2008, 06:05 AM
I feel exactly as you do about having/needing accessories. When leaving the restroom I always bring the still damp paper towel back to the table and wipe down my cue. My regular playing partner has a cue extensions that probably gets used once an hour. It is the only accessory that I can see the benefit of owning.

regards............Paul

Cydpkt
01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
- Tip Pik
- Williard Tip tool (Both Dime and Nickel)
- Several cubes of chalk
- Cotton wash cloth - dry hands or wipe down cue
- Writing utensil for keeping score

I had the ultimate tip tool at one time but (my fault) didn't pay attention one time and one of the sides for sanding down the side of the tip had a piece of grit that stuck out too far and I have a bunch of nice scratches on my ferrule. I don't blame the tool, I should have paid closer attention to what I was doing. I try to do all of my cue maintenance at home, just some minor adjustments when I am out. (I do a lot of adjustments for team members though) If I ever play Deeman I think my case has some small denominations in it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Heretic
01-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I bought one of the cuetec "bow tie" tip tools, and now the other guys on my league team use it so much that I have to chase it down if I want to use it

spaur
01-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Does the Bowtie really work well? I'm debating on either that or the Tip Pik.

Heretic
01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> Does the Bowtie really work well? I'm debating on either that or the Tip Pik. <hr /></blockquote>

The Bow tie has a pick inside (it unscrews in the middle). It does the same thing as a tip pick and a cube. I bought it because it was less to keep track of