PDA

View Full Version : McDermott Prestige II at playpool.com

Wally_in_Cincy
08-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Playpool.com is selling factory seconds of this cue. Here's the link.

http://www.playpool.com/prestige.html

Any opinions? Looks like a nice cue for the money.

Wally~~not a cue expert by any stretch

Tom_In_Cincy
08-02-2002, 03:21 PM
Wally,

Good find. Thanks for the info. McDermott have always been considered one of the better production cues. This one looks like a keeper..

Wally_in_Cincy
08-02-2002, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

Good find. Thanks for the info. McDermott have always been considered one of the better production cues. This one looks like a keeper.. <hr></blockquote>

I've been shooting with a McD for 4 years and I really like it. I realize the factory seconds would not be investment quality but I would get it for playing, not looking.

Eric.
08-02-2002, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen the cue, but it seems like a deal, fro the money. BTW, what's up with that site? It's like a Tomato Fight over there!

Eric &gt;more flying tomatos than a Ragu factory

Sid_Vicious
08-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Spiderman's got one on the way, with an extra shaft to match the other 13mm. The special includes one extra but it is a 12.75 or 12.5mm, can't be sure. Anyway, ask him in a few weeks. It is a pretty cue, and the McDermott I still have from my entry into the DFW scene some 6+ years ago still hits very good...sid

Voodoo Daddy
08-02-2002, 06:05 PM
I like the case...Super Mac's are great cases. Dont look like you could go wrong with that purchase, two shafts and a case for $650? Nice.....

08-03-2002, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. It is a nice cue believe me. Part of the profits were used to make one of them my personal playing cue.

I am down to about 3 or 4 that aren't spoken for right now. If you didn't look at the feedback from the first two guys that got theirs, here it is:

http://playpool.com/article.php?sid=153&amp;mode=&amp;order=0&amp;thold=0

I expect more comments posted soon, I have about 4 more sales in progress right now.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-03-2002, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: edatplaypool:</font><hr> Thanks for the comments everyone. It is a nice cue believe me. Part of the profits were used to make one of them my personal playing cue.

I am down to about 3 or 4 that aren't spoken for right now. If you didn't look at the feedback from the first two guys that got theirs, here it is:

<a target="_blank" href=http://playpool.com/article.php?sid=153&amp;mode=&amp;order=0&amp;thold=0>http://playpool.com/article.php?sid=153&amp;mode=&amp;order=0&amp;thold=0</a>

I expect more comments posted soon, I have about 4 more sales in progress right now. <hr></blockquote>

Can I get two 13mm shafts instead of one 13mm and one 12.75mm?

SpiderMan
08-04-2002, 12:48 PM
I ordered an additional 13mm shaft from the factory (couldn't handle not having two that matched), so it will be a few weeks before the thing arrives. I'll post a complete review as soon as I get it.

SpiderMan

08-04-2002, 08:06 PM
email me at ed@playpool.com

Wally_in_Cincy
09-05-2002, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Playpool.com is selling factory seconds of this cue. Here's the link.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.playpool.com/prestige.html>http://www.playpool.com/prestige.html</a>

Any opinions? Looks like a nice cue for the money.

Wally~~not a cue expert by any stretch <hr></blockquote>

Well I ended up buying one of these and I like it. Please keep this in mind - I am writing as a bonafide non-expert on cues.

I got the cue a couple weeks ago but due to back problems I had not been able to take it on its maiden voyage until last night.

The cue is very, very good looking. The workmanship is perfect except for a tiny flaw at the top of the seam on the leather wrap.

I was surprised to find that the cue came with a 5/16-14 quick release stainless steel joint rather than the standard McDermott 3/8-10. But as far as the hit is concerned I can't tell the difference. This cue plays just like my other McD. A better player than myself might be able to tell a difference but I sure can't.

I've been a McD fan ever since the first time I played with one. You know how a certain cue just "feels right" to a certain player. If you like McDermotts and you want a really attractive cue this is a cue you should consider.

SpiderMan
09-05-2002, 11:55 AM
I also purchased this cue. Upon receipt, I found a problem with the supplied shafts, as they were several tenths of a mm smaller at the bridge than at the ferrule (hourglass tapered). The factory assured me that this was covered by warranty, so I returned the cue for repair. It was received by McDermott last Wednesday. I will post a full review when I receive it back.

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
09-06-2002, 11:01 AM
I can't help but wonder who will be the first guy/gal to buy one of these off someone for ...say $1500.00 so he/she can sell it for $2000.00...scarry /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-06-2002, 06:19 PM
I have a Mcdermott Portico. It shoots
like a Player's.(Not good)

09-07-2002, 07:29 AM
I am very surprised and disappointed that McDermott allows those Prestige II imposters out of the factory. It's akin to a famous painter creating a masterpiece, then seeling a virtually identical painting that didn't turn out just right. It devalues the real Prestige II. Why would someone pay $2500 for a real Prestige II when they could have a virtually identical imposter for 1/4 the cost. In the future, anyone who wants to purchase a real, previously owned Prestige II must go to great lengths to make sure it wasn't an imposter modified to appear like a real Prestige II.
The 100 owners of real Prestige II cues should get together and buy the handful of imposters and use them to roast marshmallows.
As a McDermott owner, it saddens me to see that they don't take more pride in their work.

heater451
09-07-2002, 07:40 AM
That would be a ridiculous waste of time and materials, at cost to the manufacturer.

Although, I think they could have tried to be a little trickier, and "re-badge" them as the "Prestiege IIA" and "B" respectively--assuming the difference is only the beauty ring order. The asking price could have stayed the same, and they wouldn't have the stigma of being called "seconds".

~~was trying to fit, "Baby with the bathwater" in here somewhere. . . .

=================

Warren_Lushia
09-07-2002, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DragonSlayer:</font><hr> I am very surprised and disappointed that McDermott allows those Prestige II imposters out of the factory. It's akin to a famous painter creating a masterpiece, then seeling a virtually identical painting that didn't turn out just right. It devalues the real Prestige II. Why would someone pay $2500 for a real Prestige II when they could have a virtually identical imposter for 1/4 the cost. In the future, anyone who wants to purchase a real, previously owned Prestige II must go to great lengths to make sure it wasn't an imposter modified to appear like a real Prestige II.
The 100 owners of real Prestige II cues should get together and buy the handful of imposters and use them to roast marshmallows.
As a McDermott owner, it saddens me to see that they don't take more pride in their work. <hr></blockquote>q

you'll have to take that up with ed. personally, i thought his deal was pretty good, but i would have felt that way regardless of the "real thing" or not. but they are quite clearly differentiated by the butt-cap. i would not pay anywhere even close to what mcdermott is asking for the "prestige" but i would buy one of ed's seconds. mcdermott need's to realize their place in the market. if you are paying 2K+ for a collectable cue, i doubt black polyurethane inlays are on your list of things to look for. mcdermott makes a great product for a great price, but at the low end, leave the top end stuff to the real pros. a 100 run off of $2500 cues with black rubber rings, etc, (no ivory or anything) is really silly. i told ed this before, but in defense of ed, he does not make those decisions.

but the 2 cues are very easily differentiated from a distance. then you have to ask, when it comes to true cue collectibility, what does a run of 100 mean? nothing. i think the "errors" are actually more rare!! the real one has the 14 carat gold writing, apparently worth 1500-2000 dollars! 5 times more rare or so (maybe more) is the one ed offers for 650. i like mcdermott but they should focus on their target market.

warren..

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2002, 09:55 AM
I believe that you and I noticed an odd tip outta the three shafts, one was all fuzzy on the crown. Maybe that would beat down but it was a bit odd upon first inspection. Sure a tip isn't a major deal, still I'd think that a cue manufacturer would be consistent in their tip installs.

Does that warrant any mention here???sid~~~too late, I mentioned it already

Wally_in_Cincy
09-07-2002, 10:17 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Sid_Vicious:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I believe that you and I noticed an odd tip outta the three shafts, one was all fuzzy on the crown. Maybe that would beat down but it was a bit odd upon first inspection. Sure a tip isn't a major deal, still I'd think that a cue manufacturer would be consistent in their tip installs.

Does that warrant any mention here???sid~~~too late, I mentioned it already &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Of the two shafts I played with one of the tips was a bit harder than the other. I'm pretty sure they were both medium LePro.

* After checking their website I find that they actually use Triangle tips*

From reading the CCB I think this is not unusual for the same type tips to be a bit inconsistent in hardness.

Wally_in_Cincy
09-07-2002, 10:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I have a Mcdermott Portico. It shoots
like a Player's.(Not good) <hr></blockquote>

To each his own. I like 'em /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Sid_Vicious
09-07-2002, 10:30 AM
If I was putting a product up on a 2500 pedestal(retail), I would PERSONALLY see that final QC was consistent down to the last detail. The fuzzy tip appeared odd in other views of it's complexion(IMHO)..sid

Wally_in_Cincy
09-07-2002, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DragonSlayer:</font><hr> I am very surprised and disappointed that McDermott allows those Prestige II imposters out of the factory. It's akin to a famous painter creating a masterpiece, then seeling a virtually identical painting that didn't turn out just right. It devalues the real Prestige II. Why would someone pay $2500 for a real Prestige II when they could have a virtually identical imposter for 1/4 the cost. In the future, anyone who wants to purchase a real, previously owned Prestige II must go to great lengths to make sure it wasn't an imposter modified to appear like a real Prestige II.
As a McDermott owner, it saddens me to see that they don't take more pride in their work. <hr></blockquote>

You certainly have a point but remember McDermott is not a huge company. They had a heck of a lot of labor tied up in these. As Warren said, it is very easy to spot the impostor due the lack of gold on the butt.

09-07-2002, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> I have a Mcdermott Portico. It shoots
like a Player's.(Not good) <hr></blockquote>

Did it ever occur to you that it may not be the cue? Maybe the operator can't shoot any better with one than the other.

SpiderMan
09-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Sid,

Of course I noticed the odd tip (it looked like a piece of carpet), but since I do tips it didn't bother me that much. I was far more concerned with the bad taper jobs on the shafts. BTW, the shaft with the fuzzy tip had about 0.5 mm of conical taper in the ferrule itself. Maybe someone stuck it in a pencil sharpener /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan