PDA

View Full Version : Legal jumping in APA?

bignick31985
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok, I have asked several people and gotten varied answers from person to person. I know there are some very knowledgable rule guys on here, and was hoping you could help me out.

I understand I cannot assemble or disassemble a cue during play. So I always put my break/jump together (just a 2 piece cue) and my playing cue (also a 2 piece cue) and leave them ready for use.

I have been told I can change cues during my turn, but have resisted b/c I didnt want a foul called on me.

Also, I have been told that if I hit down on the cue ball (the only way I jump it) it is legal, then someone else negates that.

So can you guys clear it up? If I am presented the opportunity to jump a ball legally, can I switch to my break/jump cue (still a 2 piece, no removable 3rd section) and jump the ball, then return to my playing cue?

Bob_Jewett
01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bignick31985:</font><hr> ... So can you guys clear it up? If I am presented the opportunity to jump a ball legally, ... <hr /></blockquote>
The APA rules are on-line at http://www.poolplayers.com/8-9-ball-Rules.pdf You can play a jump shot if you don't do it by miscuing. There may be a further restriction by your LO or the room you're playing in, and you would have to ask them about that. They should have a written set of exceptions to the national APA rules, if any.

The APA national rules are silent on the subject of changing cue sticks, but the team manual, which has equipment specifications, forbids the use of jump cues. You must use your regular playing cue to shoot jump shots. But, again, ask your LO for how things are done in your league.

pooltchr
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I asked our league operator and was told that you can switch cues during a game, and you can perform a jump shot with a full cue. However, if the host location does not allow jump shots, neither will the league.
As Bob pointed out, each league has it's own set of bylaws, so the best source for the answer to your question is probably your league operator.
Steve

Derek
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
There has also been talk of the APA implementing a rule to allow jump cues. I think the new rules, if any, come out in June but I hear that jump cues will not make this cut. Something about the east coast LO's were against the idea of jump cues and that the east coast LO's hold a lot of weight in rules decisions. Just word of mouth is what I'm going on.

bignick31985
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, for the replies. I figure I'll let it be, and just go for the kick shots, instead of jumping. Just to avoid the controversy, lol.

Rich R.
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I'd just like to add one point to this discussion.

The APA does have a Masters League, apart from the regular 8-ball and 9-ball leagues. In the Masters League, jump cues are allowed.