PDA

View Full Version : Shape of tip on your break stick?

Cydpkt
01-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I have seen several posts in the past concerning tip types and shapes on shooting sticks. I was just wondering if people use the same shaper (dime/nickel) on their break stick. I have used a nickel on my break stick and dime on my shooting stick for quite a few years now. My justification for this is that on my break I attempt to go either just above or below center. I don't want the added english when breaking since I am trying to kill the cue ball after striking the rack. What do you do?

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I use a quarter round...sid

Billy_Bob
01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
I use a very very hard Tiger break/jump tip and use a quarter shape. The thinking behind this is that with the very hard tip it will not "squish" in on impact and the quarter shape will also not have much tip material to "squish" in either.

So maximum speed (no "shock absorber" effect) yet with this particular tip can get stop or draw on the break without a miscue like with a phenolic tip.

Also if you use a regular tip with a nickel or dime shape, it WILL become quarter shaped in a short time due to all the fast hits.

dr_dave
01-18-2008, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> I have seen several posts in the past concerning tip types and shapes on shooting sticks. I was just wondering if people use the same shaper (dime/nickel) on their break stick. I have used a nickel on my break stick and dime on my shooting stick for quite a few years now. My justification for this is that on my break I attempt to go either just above or below center. I don't want the added english when breaking since I am trying to kill the cue ball after striking the rack. What do you do? <hr /></blockquote>A flatter tip is better for a break cue. For more info, see the "cue tip - tip size" links here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html) and see my January '08 article (http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/2008/jan08.pdf).

Regards,
Dave

SKennedy
01-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a phenolic tip for breaking. Funny thing is it is looks closer to a "dime", while my regular cue is closer to a "nickel."

ceebee
01-19-2008, 10:31 AM
My Predator BK has a Half-Dollar (maybe more) radius. The tip has about a .060 crown. I like a flatter tip for the Break Cue.

Note; I also have a dedicated Jump Cue.

BigRigTom
01-20-2008, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> My Predator BK has a Half-Dollar (maybe more) radius. The tip has about a .060 crown. I like a flatter tip for the Break Cue.

Note; I also have a dedicated Jump Cue.
<hr /></blockquote>

I have a Scorpion BreakJump cue and I had a phenolic tip put on about a year ago and have not had to do anything to it but chalk it every time I use it.
The tip has about the contour of a half dollar and I still get enough spin on the cue ball to stop it in the middle of the table.

<font color="red">I especially like my break after talking with you CeeBee that day, I started putting a halftip of low outside on my break and you were dead on correct.</font color> Now I am getting a nice explosion and the cue ball backs up about a foot and just stops....that is when I hit it correctly (I don't always hit it exactly like I want but I am now trying to be more consistent with that part of the break too.)

dr_dave
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr><font color="red">I especially like my break after talking with you CeeBee that day, I started putting a halftip of low outside on my break and you were dead on correct.</font color> Now I am getting a nice explosion and the cue ball backs up about a foot and just stops<hr /></blockquote>Are you sure you are hitting the CB below and outside of center? You can use a marked practice ball (e.g., Jim Rempe or Elephant) or a striped ball for the CB and check where the chalk mark is after the break. Are you aiming straight, or using aim-and-pivot to account for squirt?

Isn't it best to aim straight and hit the CB slightly above center, with no English? Because the effective weight of the rack is much larger than the CB, the CB will bounce back and head up table with a center-ball hit. A very slight amount of follow helps slow the CB and have it park itself in the center of the table. Even the slightest amount of draw will help send the CB to the head rail. See HSV A.3 (http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-3.htm) and HSV A.4 (http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-4.htm).

Regards,
Dave

ceebee
01-20-2008, 02:20 PM
my suggestion for Big Rig Tom was made because he described a scenario that seemed to be the result of hitting the cue ball to one side of center &amp; the result throwed the cue ball off it's intended path.

Big Rig is probably setting up off center &amp; low, but because his stroke is moving off line, he is now probably hitting just above the horizontal axis, on the vertical axis. The workaround is working for him.

dr_dave
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> my suggestion for Big Rig Tom was made because he described a scenario that seemed to be the result of hitting the cue ball to one side of center &amp; the result throwed the cue ball off it's intended path.

Big Rig is probably setting up off center &amp; low, but because his stroke is moving off line, he is now probably hitting just above the horizontal axis, on the vertical axis. The workaround is working for him. <hr /></blockquote>Fair enough. Although, wouldn't it be better, in general, to try to fix the flaw that is causing the stroke error instead of aiming somewhere else so when you stroke crooked you will hit where you want?

Regards,
Dave

BigRigTom
01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe, but until I get the time and money to take those lessons I keep looking forward to I plan to stay with what is working for me.
Thanks for that insight Dr. Dave and Thanks to you CeeBee for the advise that works for now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dr_dave
01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Maybe, but until I get the time and money to take those lessons I keep looking forward to I plan to stay with what is working for me.
Thanks for that insight Dr. Dave and Thanks to you CeeBee for the advise that works for now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif<hr /></blockquote>If it works reliably and consistently, there's no reason to change unless it bothers you making two wrongs to make a right. This would bother me (maybe I'm a little "anal" with this sort of thing); but it doesn't seem to bother you, so go for it. If it works, I guess that's all that really matters.

Regards,
Dave

BigRigTom
01-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Since it does seem to be working for me right now I will keep doing the 2 wrongs to get the one right.
Eventually I want to take those lessons from Steve or Scott or the Monk or Bob Jewett.
When the time and money are both available together I'll do the lessons and then over haul my game accordingly.
I just don't want to mess with a good thing before I have the road map to keep me on track once I get into it.

dr_dave
01-21-2008, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Since it does seem to be working for me right now I will keep doing the 2 wrongs to get the one right.
Eventually I want to take those lessons from Steve or Scott or the Monk or Bob Jewett.
When the time and money are both available together I'll do the lessons and then over haul my game accordingly.
I just don't want to mess with a good thing before I have the road map to keep me on track once I get into it. <hr /></blockquote>Sounds like a good plan.

Dave

ceebee
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
the "two wrongs to make a right" scenario is never the best way, however this workaround has it's place. Tom explained a difficulty he had, which I had experienced myself from time to time (especially when my Break Shot practice was interupted for any length of time).

I suggested a method for him to try, which I use occasionally &amp; it worked for him, as it works for me.

Possessing the knowledge to make modifications in one's game, to make it through the match or tournament, comes from years of playing. But when the match or the tournament is over, it's back to the Practice Table.

BigRigTom
01-24-2008, 09:22 AM
Well said CeeBee and I agree completely.
The journey never ends, the better I get the more I realize how little I know and how much I have to yet learn.

Rackum_n_Crackum
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
LOL, at the moment my break cue has a mushroom shaped tip on it, I gotta work on that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heretic
02-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I have an old Meucci that I bought a specific break shaft for. It has a hard tip on it, that I have done nothing to since I got it. I also carry the original shaft for that stick in my case, just in case I have to shoot with it for some reason, or in case one of the guys on my league team needs a spare stick.........Don't laugh.....it HAS happened, and as captain, I like to be prepared for everything