PDA

View Full Version : what to caulk slates with?

jimijakjones
01-19-2008, 07:21 AM
i've heard beez wax but that didn't seem to be on them when i pulled them apart...any recommendation on what to use to caulk between my slates?

Paul_Mon
01-19-2008, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimijakjones:</font><hr> i've heard beez wax but that didn't seem to be on them when i pulled them apart...any recommendation on what to use to caulk between my slates? <hr /></blockquote>

Clean off the caulk very carefully. It may actually adhere too well to the slate and chip it. Then use wax. I've heard good things about a Victor Conte product called liquid Dowel IIRC. But I've seen many tables with waxed seams that play perfect for a long time.

Paul Mon

DeadCrab
01-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Bee's wax is probably best. Some prefer Bondo, but it is more difficult to remove.

wolfdancer
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I've worked with two of the top table mechanics in the U.S.
One uses Wax, the other Bondo. The trick to remove Bondo without chipping the edges of the slate is to score it first with a hacksaw blade, then make a V shaped groove...and still be careful.
Bees wax has this annoying trend of a tiny ball separating and making a bump...sometimes it can be flattened down, and sometimes the cloth has to be lifted.
For the slate screw holes....Durham's water putty is recommended.

BigRigTom
01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jimijakjones:</font><hr> i've heard beez wax but that didn't seem to be on them when i pulled them apart...any recommendation on what to use to caulk between my slates? <hr /></blockquote>
I too have heard that bee's wax is supposed to be the best but that was from old timers who still probably keep their money under their mattress because of the depression years.

My friend and I redid my table late last year and when we took the old cloth off the joints had been smoothed out with some kind of plaster like substance...I think it WAS plaster.

Anyway...
All I had was some polyvinyl premixed drywall spackle compound soooooooo ....being the experts that we are.....we used it.
The description of uses and the instructions on the plastic container say that it will dry quickly and remind flexible and will not crack.....
So far so good. It did dry in just a few minutes, it was easy to sand down smooth and it has held up now for several months with NO problems.

I just went out and checked the ingedients and they say it is limestone and poly vinyl plus water...that is it.

I am not recommending anyone use what I did but I am just saying it worked for me.

O YES!
I used it in the screw and bolt holes as well.

Deeman3
01-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I use plaster of paris but do not fill the bolt holes as they, at least for me, are off the playing surface where the bottom of the ball rests. The plaster is very easy to sand down and easier to remove than bondo.