PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Table Cushions? Exactness possible?

Billy_Bob
01-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Well it seems everything cue related is now very scientific and exact. (squirt, etc.)

Seems to me the only thing left to work on is pool table cushions. Everybody knows you can have a "long" table, a just right table, or "short" table.

That is you can shoot a kick shot on one table aiming at a certain spot and the cue ball will come back to where you want. But the same aiming on another table may not produce the same results.

So with all of our modern scientific know-how, I would think someone could come up with a modern scientific table cushion which always rebounds balls the same exact direction. Perhaps something which would continue to work the same with age?

There are a lot of very smart people on this forum. Ideas?

Maybe some sort of liquid or gel filled cushion?

Maybe a "tire like" cushion which could be filled with a certain amount of air pressure?

What would *always* produce the same "bounce" no matter what age the cushion?

And produce the same "bounce" on every table?

Maybe using cloth to cover table cushions is not the best idea (more slick cloth vs less slick cloth). Perhaps some plastic type material would be more consistent on all tables?

cushioncrawler
01-20-2008, 04:17 AM
I think that rubber cushions without any (cloth) covering would throw the most consistent and dependable angles. Unfortunately, i happen to know that, theze sorts of cushions are not uzer-friendly -- too lively -- u can shoot into the cushion at 45dg and make the ball kum straight back to the cue (no skrew needed)(12' table here). With fingerspin i can make it return from 40dg.

From what i read, i reckon that the K55 etc type cushions (with cloth covering) must be about the best that anyone could ever design, if u want a mirror-like rebound -- but i have never had the pleasure of hitting a ball into such a cushion (ie on a pool table). But if u want a good speed of rebound, i reckon that they must be about the worst (from what i read). madMac.

Artemus
01-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Forget about it, dude. Ain't gonna happen in your next 3 lives. As long as there are multiple table manufacturers that use different materials in the rails, different rubber, different cuts, differentt bolts and ways of tightening the rails, etc., there will NEVER be a uniform standard. Besides, it makes the game more interesting to have variety and challenge the mind to make the necessary alterations to shooting on different brands of tables.

How boring would it be to play the same golf course over and over again without change? It would be like trying to figure out how to get ALL CARS to have the EXACT same smoothness of ride and handling capabilities.

Remember, the government doesn't want monopolies. Free trade and competition is the American way.

wolfdancer
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I heard that over in Australia they use plastic cushions and rubber balls?.....

cushioncrawler
01-22-2008, 04:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I heard that over in Australia they use plastic cushions and rubber balls?..<hr /></blockquote>The L-shape rubbers now uzed on 12' tables are much better than K55 for speed of rebound (i mean they give lots of speed, but not too much), but they are crazy for rebound. The cheaper heavyr rubbers will of course give less speed and less angle than a nice lite rubber -- its a scientifik fakt -- all else being equal, the lighter rubber iz betterer. madMac.