PDA

View Full Version : Me and Fargo!

bradb
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mikepage:</font><hr>
Here is a description of the practice game FARGO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHj6KUw8xzE <hr /></blockquote>

Well Mike, I tried the Fargo practice routine and now I'm seriously questioning my place in the world of pool!

First of all I never went past the 7th game, I guess I'm an attention deficit style of player.
After a series of repetitious ball pocketing the boredom began to set in. I slowly drifted off into dreaming about that trip to Mexico I made back in the sixties. It was in a little cantina where I met that beautiful dark eyed!.... YIPES! I missed an easy shot!
Damn, rack'em up, do it again.

Ok now I've lost my goal of hitting the 200 mark, all right, bear down. Bust that little cluster on the rail. Oh no!... the ball rolled and froze. NO SHOT!

OK.... 175 is my goal now, I can do it.

God what a bad break...tie-ups everywhere! Ok I'll start right out with a hard shot and open up the middle..... I MISSED!

Allright, I'm an A player. I can live with that.

GOOD BREAK, here we go... nice run starting. Suddenly the phone rings! Damn, better get it. Its the bank!... they bounced that client check I just put in!

Ok I'm back an hour later, completely lost my stroke, but I gotta nice lay layout left. Oh no!... I dogged my shape!... Ok settle down, its a hard 90 degree cut to continue but I can make it.
I dig in and focus, but the pressure is building, my arm is twitching like a cats tail... I MISSED!

OH my god, I'm not going to break 100!

I can't go on and live with this shame. Sadly I hang up my cue and leave the arena at which I have failed. I have descended into the dark depths of billiard mediocrity....I'm a mullet. A fish. I have donned that worst of all monikers that distinguish the real players from the hordes of floundering ball bangers that infest every pool hall... A rank beginner! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif :

brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Cheer up Brad....there's always bowling, or croquet.

bradb
01-21-2008, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Cheer up Brad....there's always bowling, or croquet. <hr /></blockquote>

OK, but If Mike comes out with a Fargo version of those I'll shoot myself! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ralph_Kramden
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
We've been playing it as a 1 rack game for the highest point run. Run as few balls as possible in the single point run before switching to the numerical runout to earn the most points.

Let's say you run 18 points in yor rack and your opponent runs 15 in his, you win $3. Then you run 12 points in your next rack and he runs 22 points in his, it costs you $10.

You won't lose your concentration if you play it that way unless you got a fat wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bradb
01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> We've been playing it as a 1 rack game for the highest point run. Run as few balls as possible in the single point run before switching to the numerical runout to earn the most points.

Let's say you run 18 points in yor rack and your opponent runs 15 in his, you win $3. Then you run 12 points in your next rack and he runs 22 points in his, it costs you $10.

You won't lose your concentration if you play it that way unless you got a fat wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's a little more bearable. We 8ball/9 ball players have no patience for 10 straight racks of continuos potting the balls.

Artemus
01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> We've been playing it as a 1 rack game for the highest point run. Run as few balls as possible in the single point run before switching to the numerical runout to earn the most points.

You won't lose your concentration if you play it that way unless you got a fat wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's a little more bearable. We 8ball/9 ball players have no patience for 10 straight racks of continuos potting the balls. <hr /></blockquote>

Then why bother with Fargo rules. Just play rotation with all 15 balls starting from the 1 and alter the scoring to 1 point or 2 points?

Ralph_Kramden
01-23-2008, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> We've been playing it as a 1 rack game for the highest point run. Run as few balls as possible in the single point run before switching to the numerical runout to earn the most points.

That's a little more bearable. We 8ball/9 ball players have no patience for 10 straight racks of continuos potting the balls. <hr /></blockquote>

We start out with BIH whether or not the cueball scratches on the break just as in the practice game version. The one exception we make when playing the 1 rack game against an opponent is that all balls made on the break stay down unless the cueball scratches. Balls pocketed on the break count as 1 point.

Spotting any balls pocketed after a scratch on the break would be the penalty for scratching on the breakshot.

Playing any ball in the 'random' phase let's you break up clusters and pocket blocking balls before starting the 'rotational' phase. Any miss or scratch after the break is the end of the rack and ball count.

wolfdancer
01-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like an interesting bet. I'll have to work my way up to 10 innings...but I do like the rules &amp; scoring of Fargo

BigRigTom
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Sounds like an interesting bet. I'll have to work my way up to 10 innings...but I do like the rules &amp; scoring of Fargo <hr /></blockquote>

I like the rules and scoring as well....I also like the bet idea that Brad describes.
Unfortunately I also see myself doing the drill much like Brad originally described so I think I will have to shoot a few racks like Wolfdancer says and get a feel for how aggressive I want to be on the 2 point home stretch.

billiards89
01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
i thought it kept me feeling like i was playing for something by myself mor than other games ive tried i think its point systems pretty accurate tonight was my first night doing it i decided to use a crappy bar cue i played 9 games got 140 160 150 130 110 220 100 80 110 not the best now i have a goal when actually playing by my self thanks for telling me about the game