PDA

View Full Version : Colored Chalks

spaur
01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I understand that the reason for the different colors of billiard chalk is to match the cloth on the table so it doesn't show up. I have a dark grey cue and I bought some gray Master chalk to match it. I've been told by many people that I shouldn't use that junk because it doesn't adhere as well as the blue. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it adheres better or the fact that it just shows up more and makes it look as though there is more of it. What's your opinion on the colored chalks?

DeadCrab
01-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Pool chalk is a fine silica. As far as I know, "Master's blue" is not a naturally occurring color for what is basically sandstone. The original pool chalk marketed was green.

Color has nothing to do with it, other than blue really stands out on green cloth, and some people think this is better than having it hidden.

Ralph_Kramden
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
It's not not the color... it's the brand of chalk. You say it's Master chalk. You are using a very good brand of chalk unless maybe it's.... Red

SKennedy
01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I use green (Master Chalk), simply to match the felt. However, I have seen where others prefer the blue claiming it does better. Not sure that is true. I have no problems with green or blue and don't note any difference in performance. However, my abilitiies on the table are inconsistent.....and I'd sure like to blame the chalk! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
01-22-2008, 11:35 AM
What color chalk to use is too important a decision to make on your own. you need expert help....a color consultant.
Here's one I use to make sure the chalk doesn't clash with my new Armani suit
web page (http://www.cbcolorandimage.com/)

SKennedy
01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Truthfully, I do need help...even dressing. I'm color-blind. I played a few games yesterday. Room was dimly lit and the balls are older and were pretty dirty. I kept thinking the 1-ball (I was playing 8-ball) on the head rail was being blocked into a corner pocket by the 8-ball throughout most of the game until I noticed the "second" 8-ball. The ball blocking the 1-ball was the 4-ball! I did this again later when looking at the balls and thought the 4-ball was the 8-ball. Normally, I have trouble confusing the 7-ball and the 8-ball, but for some reason the 4-ball was really dark to me. It's more of an annoyance than anything and I find it humorous. Back in my college days I played in a local tournament and was in the final match and pocketed what I thought was the 7-ball with a straight-in shot on the 8-ball for the win. Upon pocketing the 7 my opponent (who happened to be one of those cocky guys you really like to beat) says, "Thanks for the win!" I looked at him confused and said, "What?" He then informed me I had just sank the 8-ball. But, I did have good position on the 7-ball!
Anyway, I can tell the chalk colors apart except the green and gray chalk look the same color, but the gray just looks darker, while the green looks like a light gray. But, the table cloth does look green (on a green table, of course). A box of crayons with 8 colors was just fine for me. I started to go crazy at 16 and lost my mind completely at the 64 count!

Heretic
01-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I often hang out at "biker" bars, and I think they should make chalk in a black and orange combination (harley colors) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SKennedy
01-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Black wrapper with the emblem on it with orange chalk? Probably sell well! I'm starting to see more of these colored ferrules. Why not specialized chalks.

CarolNYC
01-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I rode a Sportster for a few years-I have BLACK Masters because I have BLACK Simonis on my table;)
Carol~likes the Harley idea

Heretic
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I rode a Sportster for a few years-I have BLACK Masters because I have BLACK Simonis on my table;)
Carol~likes the Harley idea <hr /></blockquote>

I had a problem with black felt. With black felt, rails, and pockets there was not enough contrast for me.
My table has the electric blue felt, and the pocket leathers are stained black cherry. This makes great contrast since I used black walnut stain on the oak rails

CarolNYC
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My table has the electric blue felt, and the pocket leathers are stained black cherry. This makes great contrast since I used black walnut stain on the oak rails <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds very beautiful!
I dont have a problem, but a friend did tell me to eventually change it to green and stick with green!
Carol

Artemus
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I rode a Sportster for a few years-I have BLACK Masters because I have BLACK Simonis on my table;)
Carol~likes the Harley idea <hr /></blockquote>

I could be wrong, but I don't think you met the qualifications to wear the colors of a Googan leather jacket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bradb
01-23-2008, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
My table has the electric blue felt, and the pocket leathers are stained black cherry. This makes great contrast since I used black walnut stain on the oak rails <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds very beautiful!
I dont have a problem, but a friend did tell me to eventually change it to green and stick with green!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Carol. I'm an artist so I carry all colors of chalk and alternate them after each shot.

I figure if I'm going to mess up someones table I might as well be artistic. After I finish with a set I leave the table looking like a Jackson Pollack!

If I have a really good run I can lay down some neo impressionism, but if I don't get to many shots then I go for post minimalist.

I don't charge them for the pool art, its the least I can do.

-brad

CarolNYC
01-23-2008, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Googan leather jacket. <hr /></blockquote> What is that?
You always make me laugh-would you believe black leather halter,short shorts and thigh-high boots? NOT kidding and I was also in a magazine called "Easyrider" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
01-23-2008, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm an artist <hr /></blockquote>
Brad,
How wonderful!Well,well,well, if your ever in my area,let me know and do some serious artistic damage to this black cloth of mine-
deal?
Carol

bradb
01-23-2008, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I'm an artist <hr /></blockquote>
Brad,
How wonderful!Well,well,well, if your ever in my area,let me know and do some serious artistic damage to this black cloth of mine-
deal?

No charge Carol, I'll even sign it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heretic
01-23-2008, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
You always make me laugh-would you believe black leather halter,short shorts and thigh-high boots? NOT kidding and I was also in a magazine called "Easyrider" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dressed like that...riding a harley (even if it was a piglet), AND playing pool???? I am in love here...LOL

I have had a servicart in "The Horse" and a pan in "Biker" (I still have the pan)

CarolNYC
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,but that was 94-97,only 3x dressed like that,and even then it was a chance-theres alot of maniacs in NYC,so Brklyn,Manhatten,upstate and Jersey were full-clothed leather-but a "girlie" coat,fringes,red roses /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I still have the pan <hr /></blockquote> No way! What year? My husband has a 47 knuckle along with the 2002 DynaWideglide-I took the Dyna down the Blvd. and I was scared-but I want a dynaLowrider-oh, and I like "piglet" ha ha ha-Cm'on now,Im only 118 lbs, and my bike was 400+,its the only thing I could handle /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-then........Im getting stronger!
Carol

Artemus
01-24-2008, 06:34 AM
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

I guess you'd have to have been following all of the threads where I've posted to the resident scientists about one thing or another and we've gone off on each other. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just love it when they all come out of the woodwork and band together to support each others laws of physics, geometry formulas, and thermonuclear explosion theories, so I just coined a phrase and call them a bunch of GOOGANS who hang out at their own biker bar with chalk and blackboards all around the room and come riding in on their Harley's in their leather jackets with GOOGAN colors on them. It's all done in fun, but I think it really gets under their skin. LMFAO Don Rickles must have more fun than anyone out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
01-24-2008, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
their own biker bar with chalk and blackboards <hr /></blockquote>
THAT, I'd have to see,but, then again, last November when I went to the WPBA NAtionals in Oregon, I WAS sitting amongst 42 Christian parishioners who just returned from the "holyland of Jerusalem", as they explained, and ALL of them rode Harleys-it was an experience!
But you have to admit that,nowing WHY does help,but you just have to get out there and play /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Artemus
01-24-2008, 08:02 AM
their own biker bar with chalk and blackboards <hr /></blockquote>
THAT, I'd have to see,but, then again, last November when I went to the WPBA NAtionals in Oregon, I WAS sitting amongst 42 Christian parishioners who just returned from the "holyland of Jerusalem", as they explained, and ALL of them rode Harleys-it was an experience!
But you have to admit that,nowing WHY does help,but you just have to get out there and play /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol
<hr /></blockquote>

Have you seen Kenneth Copeland, the long time televangelist on TV recently? I was channel surfing last week and going through the religious stations like a buzz saw when I spotted him on stage in a leather jacket, leather pants, and at least a dozen or more of the most beautifully painted and shiny Harley's that you've ever seen. Normally he's up there in a suit and tie or sport coat and tie. And the audience was PACKED with bikers.

On the second part of your post, I admit to NOTHING. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CarolNYC
01-24-2008, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you seen Kenneth Copeland, the long time televangelist on TV recently <hr /></blockquote>
No

[ QUOTE ]
And the audience was PACKED with bikers.
<hr /></blockquote>
now, are you sure they were "bikers" or did they just DRESS UP LIKE THEM and drive vans? ha ha ha(just kidding)
Stay well!
Carol

Artemus
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
now, are you sure they were "bikers" or did they just DRESS UP LIKE THEM and drive vans? ha ha ha(just kidding)

Actually I think they were all from Manhattan, dressed up like bikers, and have their chauffers drive them around. LOL You must be the primitive from the Manhattan tribe also, trying to work me for that fur coat. I think I've heard about you, Ivana Oog.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://galleries.lycos.co.uk/d/13796-5/raquelwelsh.jpg&amp;imgrefurl=http://galleries.lycos.co.uk/v/Entertainment/Celebrities/Stars/raquelwelsh.jpg.html&amp;h=387&amp;w=326&amp;sz=31&amp;tbnid=BVfTN _SC7ZPOcM:&amp;tbnh=123&amp;tbnw=104&amp;prev=/images%3Fq%3Draquel%2Bwelch%26um%3D1&amp;start=2&amp;sa=X&amp; oi=images&amp;ct=image&amp;cd=2

118 huh? That's pretty good. Keep working on it and those 10 extra lbs. will come off one day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heretic
01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,but that was 94-97,only 3x dressed like that,and even then it was a chance-theres alot of maniacs in NYC,so Brklyn,Manhatten,upstate and Jersey were full-clothed leather-but a "girlie" coat,fringes,red roses /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I still have the pan <hr /></blockquote> No way! What year? My husband has a 47 knuckle along with the 2002 DynaWideglide-I took the Dyna down the Blvd. and I was scared-but I want a dynaLowrider-oh, and I like "piglet" ha ha ha-Cm'on now,Im only 118 lbs, and my bike was 400+,its the only thing I could handle /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-then........Im getting stronger!

I tried to respond before, but I seem to be having computer problems

Anyway, I will make you such the deal....I will swap you pics of my pan for for pics of your knuck....My dad and I are building an aftermarket knuck bobber now, so I have a lot of interest in them

Since you like the lowrider, have you looked at the street bob?. I did some custom work on one for a friend, and it came out nice. (I ride a road king, but I stand 6' 4" and am a little over twice your weight)

CarolNYC
01-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Art,
I asked her not to use my body as a double, but she refused,ha ha ha! (you are too much! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I eat 10 chocolate Haagendaaz pops a week-losing is no problem, (just like pool)its gaining- /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol
PRIMITIVE GOOGAN