PDA

View Full Version : Poll on Why do you enter a tournament?

Tom_In_Cincy
08-03-2002, 10:35 AM

SPetty
08-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Apparently these polls don't let aol users vote. I just tried, and it said that an answer had already been received from this IP address.

Not me. Must be that the first aol user gets the vote - the rest of us are locked out.

Just guessing here.

Chris Cass
08-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Hi Tom,

I tried entering my vote but the server message came up so like all true Americans, I'm voting manually. I get in all the events I play because I truely feel, I have a chance to win. Sure the participants may be strong so mainly, I think about cashing. If I didn't enter the events without the thought of taking it off. I wouldn't enter at all.

I do however keep things in prospective. Once I'm in the event, I don't think of the big picture. My mind is totally involved with thoughts of one shot, one game, and one match at a time. This not only makes for good play, but brings things down to reality. I don't care who my opponent is. I think only of one step at a time. If I set my goals easy enough to reach. The main goal of taking it off is just that much closer. IMO Doesn't work all the time but, I've done my share of cashing.

Good Post,

C.C.

PQQLK9
08-03-2002, 09:03 PM
I use AOL and it let me vote...I enter because I think I can win...
GO REDSKINS!!!

08-03-2002, 11:50 PM
I answer this with "I know I will win", because although I'm not a great player, I think you need to go into a tournament setting with the winning attitude. No matter who is playing you still have to show up to the tournament to win. A couple of months ago I played in a tournament that Buddy Hall was playing in, and few other notables such as John Brumbeck, and David Matlock, I know how great of players these guys are, but I still went with the attitude to win, why enter a tournament knowing you cant win. Enter to play your best or there is no reason to play at all.

Doctor_D
08-05-2002, 06:14 AM
Good morning:

I enter every tournament possible for the experience, as well as to hone my skills against advanced players. I compete with determination at every event.

Dr. D.

08-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Hi Tom, I would pick #2 & 3 out of your list. But I mainly play tournaments because I love them, I love the competition and the focus and mental strength required to win the tournament. I also like the feeling that i'm completely by myself with my cue, even though the room is full. A friend once asked me... Who do you work with? I told him I work with the only person around here I can trust, ME. LOL,Terry

NH_Steve
08-05-2002, 03:08 PM
I like the competition of tournaments. It's also great competition without the headaches that often go along with simply matching up for cash -- you know exactly how much $ you are in for from the start, for example. You also get to face a variety of players, with different shooting styles -- not just the same old local same old. I do like to feel I have a decent chance to cash, generally, but I'm willing to stick my neck out to shoot against better players as a 'learning experience', too.

(For example, I'd like to take a shot at the Derby City One-Pocket event sometime -- even though realistically, my chances are slim against players like that. But I feel I'm good enough to enter, even if I'm not good enough to win -- if that makes any sense.)

Tom_In_Cincy
08-05-2002, 03:11 PM
I am planning on being in the Banks and One Pocket tournaments at next years Derby City Classic. Hope to get a chance to play well against the big boys..

Wish you could come and enjoy also..

NH_Steve
08-05-2002, 08:37 PM
I came very close to coming this year, so I think next year I'm heavily favored... (to attend, that is /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

DEADSTOKE32
08-06-2002, 07:56 PM
I PLAY IN TOURAMENT TO SEE HOW STRONG MY FOCUS IS .AND OUTHER PLAYERS CAN TELL IT'S GETTING STRONGER. MAKEING THE SMARTER SHOTS..
I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR YEARS SO I LOOK AT LIKE THIS GET BETTER OR GO FISHING.
AND WE HAVE BIG BLOOD SUCKING BUG'S IN THE SOUTH,,:-0

Barbara
08-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Tom,

Tournaments are a great way to play all sorts of players. The bangers and the pros.

I've basically given up on winning a tournament on NEWT, but I don't mind slicing my way through the players on the tour.

One of the best compliments I've had was when Gina Lipsky explained why she went "for the cheese" a couple times that surprised me during our match at Comet Billiards. She said she was scared of me. And it's because I play like Jekyll and Hyde. Either I'm there or two and out. I'm working on that.

One of the most memorable matches was when I was going game for game with Karen Corr in Providence at Snookers before she but my brakes on when we were tied 3-3 with her killer safeties out the wazoo. But she never got me on three.

Tournaments are an equalizer. In no-handicap tournies, that is. You have to play everyone even and that's the I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh!

Barbara~~~oooooh yeeaauuuuuhhh!