PDA

View Full Version : Tax "rebate" questions

pooltchr
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Alright, I'm just a dumb ol southern boy, so hopefully someone can explain so I can understand.

Washington is talking about giving a tax "rebate" of $800 to every single person and $1600 to every couple.

Where is all this money coming from? Did our government go out and get a job to pick up some extra cash? I always thought the only money they have is what they take from us to begin with.

If they had all this extra money sitting around, why didn't they give it back before the stock market took a hit? Even better, it they were getting more money than they needed, why didn't they cut out taxes?

If Washington has to give away money to stimulate the economy, does that mean that the money they spend(waste) doesn't help the economy? If they stopped spending so much, and let us keep more of the money we work for, wouldn't the economy be better off????

Since it's a "rebate", will it go to everyone, or just to people who actually paid taxes last year? I went down to my local car dealership and asked them for my $1500 rebate, and they told me I had to buy a car first!!!!! What's up with that???

If I spend my rebate on a new wide screen tv that was made in Japan or China, will that be a boost for our economy? If I spend it on the house payment I can't afford because of those big bad banks, will Washington be around to help me out again next month when I have another payment due?

Will the presidential candidates tell us how they "gave" us money in hopes that we will be greatful enough to vote for them in November?

Just some thoughts from the ignorant southern conservative good ol boy.

Steve

LWW
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM
They are allowed to carry guns and own money presses.

You aren't.

LWW

hondo
01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
My questions, too, Steve. Good post.

hondo
01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> They are allowed to carry guns and own money presses.

You aren't.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! Good one, LW.

eg8r
01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'm just a dumb ol southern boy, so hopefully someone can explain so I can understand.

Washington is talking about giving a tax "rebate" of $800 to every single person and $1600 to every couple.

Where is all this money coming from? <hr /></blockquote> It comes from the money that was paid in already. Now, this is quite unfair for those who did not pay any income tax to be receiving a "rebate" but that is old hat anyways.

For those in the lower income classes that get this money it will look like a ton of money and my guess is that they are going to do exactly what W thinks they will...they will run right out and spend it. They will buy crap they don't need (tv, booze, cigs) instead of immeadiately applying it to their debt to help get caught up. Sure $800 is not going to "save" them from their mountain of debt but it would be a move in the right direction.

eg8r

Deeman3
01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I decided it won't make much difference to the economy since I found out I won't be eligible. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SKennedy
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Another good question.....the democrats, most of which are against tax cuts, are now supporting this "rebate", which is basically the same thing. Why is that? I am not an economic wiz and my wife handles the accounts....
If we can't afford tax cuts, how can we afford this? Personally, I'm all for tax cuts and rebates. It just seems to me that an $800 rebate is like applying a small band-aid to a major bleeding artery in an effort to control bleeding. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wolfdancer
01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Where is all this money coming from?
Steve, they have already added a second shift, to print the new Dollars out. As long as the paper situation holds up, we'll have the $$ for you, come March....
Don't forget that while there ain't no Gold behind the currency...that's why we have "in God we trust" printed on it.
It's a dollar as long as everybody believes it's a dollar, and not a worthless piece of paper....but Mr. Soros now thinks it will be replaced as the international currency standard

eg8r
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, they have already added a second shift, to print the new Dollars out. As long as the paper situation holds up, we'll have the $$ for you, come March....
Don't forget that while there ain't no Gold behind the currency...that's why we have "in God we trust" printed on it.
<hr /></blockquote> That is funny. Anyone looking forward to this extra little bit of money must have some religion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

sack316
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
it's not even as complicated as the paper thing. We don't even need it anymore. All we really need is enough hard disk storage space for all the 1's and 0's that represent dollar amounts anymore. Sometimes I wonder if we pooled together all the physical cash and metals of "value", and compared it to how much--let's call it-- virtual money there is in existance, what kind of gap there would actually be in the amounts.

I'll gladly take a rebate. And yep, I'll probably be putting it towards a TV... maybe a new car since mine is on it's way out... but really a new TV seems so much cooler. Plus if my car does give out, I'd definitely need something good to watch while stranded in my house. So it's the logical decision, too!

Sack-- is saving all the tabs from his Dr. Pepper cans, for he may convince the world they are monies someday.

bamadog
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
It will be interesting to see if the Libs who have been crying about fiscal irresponsibility and tax cuts will return their rebate checks.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
There's an old, very old story, about some janitors that worked for ABC. they were emptying some trash, and read a note about a new show that was going to begin on ABC, and be sponsored by Dr. Pepper. They both invested what they had in the Dr. Pepper company.....and when American Bandstand, with Dick Clark became a hit....I think the one guy's $5k became $100k. Might be wrong there....but I do know they both "cleaned up" if you'll pardon the pun....
In that case, Dr. Pepper tabs were worth big bucks

sack316
01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> There's an old, very old story, about some janitors that worked for ABC. they were emptying some trash, and read a note about a new show that was going to begin on ABC, and be sponsored by Dr. Pepper. They both invested what they had in the Dr. Pepper company.....and when American Bandstand, with Dick Clark became a hit....I think the one guy's $5k became $100k. Might be wrong there....but I do know they both "cleaned up" if you'll pardon the pun....
In that case, Dr. Pepper tabs were worth big bucks <hr /></blockquote>

Ah, such is my life. I have all these awesome ideas... they just always turn out to be somebody else's idea! For instance, I was just thinking how wonderful it would be to have a show in which a likeable host would preside over a dance party of sorts, in which new and exciting musical acts could be showcased. Then you make me wiki American Bandstand and there goes my next million dollar idea /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j/k, I wish I were really too young to not know what it was, though.

Sack- is thinking of inventing a way in which computers will all communicate with each other, and thus finding a way to efficiently share information across the world... could be his next million dollar idea! Nah, it'll never work.

Deeman3
01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
They will probably give it to the poor in the streets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LWW
01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> They will probably give it to the poor in the streets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
The poor in the streets are another prop.

I work several times a year in local shelters and have yet to see a goody-goody leftist ever actually give willingly to help unless it was to "BE SEEN" when the media was coming through ... after which they beat feet do da street.

I'm not say ing isn't a leftist anywhere who has given freely ... I just haven't met them.

LWW

hondo
01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bamadog:</font><hr> It will be interesting to see if the Libs who have been crying about fiscal irresponsibility and tax cuts will return their rebate checks.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

?????????? Conservatives don't want fiscal responsibity?
Why not? And if the answer is yes, are they going to return their checks? Are you?

hondo
01-23-2008, 04:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> They will probably give it to the poor in the streets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
The poor in the streets are another prop.

I work several times a year in local shelters and have yet to see a goody-goody leftist ever actually give willingly to help unless it was to "BE SEEN" when the media was coming through ... after which they beat feet do da street.

I'm not say ing isn't a leftist anywhere who has given freely ... I just haven't met them.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

LWW, you've convinced me that lefties are really evil low-lifes.
I had no idea til I started reading your words of wisdom on here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman3
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> And if the answer is yes, are they going to return their checks? Are you? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> As I'm not getting one, I'll gladly return it. If I did, however, I'd keep it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Never claimed to be altruistic. </font color>

bamadog
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
That's consistent with your posting style. Ignore the gist of my post.
Are you denying that there's been a great outcry from the left about fiscal responsibility and tax cuts? Please try to answer a direct question. I know it's hard.
I am all for fiscal responsibility. That is why I think the federal govt. is way too big and wasteful. I pay huge taxes, and I doubt that I will see a rebate. But the Dems are insisting right now to give these rebates to those who pay no federal income tax. Is that responsible?
If I got a rebate, I would not return it. But, I haven't been screaming about tax cuts and fiscal responsibility either.
Are you going to return yours? How about Gayle? She's been screaming about it.

hondo
01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't return any money that somebody gives me.
If you'd like to donate to the HHGR fund, I'll take your donation and overlook the fact that your politics are whack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bamadog
01-23-2008, 05:04 PM
As usual, you can't answer simple questions.

LWW
01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bamadog:</font><hr> It will be interesting to see if the Libs who have been crying about fiscal irresponsibility and tax cuts will return their rebate checks.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

?????????? Conservatives don't want fiscal responsibity?
Why not? And if the answer is yes, are they going to return their checks? Are you? <hr /></blockquote>
This isn't about fiscal responsibility.

It isn't a conservative idea.

Bush isn't a conservative.

And, no I'm not giving mine back ... it's my money taken under threat of force and it's the best deal I can get right now on tax relief that doesn't risk jail time.

Now, I've never been one espousing higher taxes so ... as you know ... there is no hypocrisy involved in my statements at all.

OTOH everyone who has been bleating about taxes being too low has a chance to walk the walk after talking the talk all these years.

Somehow I suspect they will prefer hyopocrisy over living up to the standards they want everyone else to live up to.

LWW

hondo
01-23-2008, 06:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bamadog:</font><hr> As usual, you can't answer simple questions. <hr /></blockquote>

The key word in that statement is "simple."

LWW
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> I don't return any money that somebody gives me.
If you'd like to donate to the HHGR fund, I'll take your donation and overlook the fact that your politics are whack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
They aren't GIVING you anything.

They are RETURNING a small portion of their theft.

LWW

wolfdancer
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Sack- is thinking of inventing a way in which computers will all communicate with each other, and thus finding a way to efficiently share information across the world... could be his next million dollar idea! Nah, it'll never work.

Your idea is good...but according to (IBM's ex-CEO)Thomas J. Watson, you won't make any money on it because "“I think there is a world market for about five computers.”
I kind of liked this other quote, that I saw while checking on the first one:
“Recently, I was asked if I was going to fire an employee who made a mistake that cost the company $600,000. No, I replied, I just spent $600,000 training him. Why would I want somebody to hire his experience?”

eg8r
01-24-2008, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll gladly take a rebate. And yep, I'll probably be putting it towards a TV... maybe a new car since mine is on it's way out... but really a new TV seems so much cooler. Plus if my car does give out, I'd definitely need something good to watch while stranded in my house. So it's the logical decision, too!
<hr /></blockquote> LOL, what TV are you looking at getting. What would make this hilarious is if you want to buy a TV that costs more than $800 and you are going to finance the balance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r