PDA

View Full Version : Saddam confesses ...

LWW
01-25-2008, 04:43 AM
OH MY! (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494.shtml)
[ QUOTE ]
(CBS) Saddam Hussein initially didn't think the U.S. would invade Iraq to destroy weapons of mass destruction, so he kept the fact that he had none a secret to prevent an Iranian invasion he believed could happen. The Iraqi dictator revealed this thinking to George Piro, the FBI agent assigned to interrogate him after his capture.

Piro, in his first television interview, relays this and other revelations to 60 Minutes correspondent Scott Pelley this Sunday, Jan. 27, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Piro spent almost seven months debriefing Saddam in a plan based on winning his confidence by convincing him that Piro was an important envoy who answered to President Bush. This and being Saddam's sole provider of items like writing materials and toiletries made the toppled Iraqi president open up to Piro, a Lebanese-American and one of the few FBI agents who spoke Arabic.

"He told me he initially miscalculated... President Bush’s intentions. He thought the United States would retaliate with the same type of attack as we did in 1998...a four-day aerial attack," says Piro. "He survived that one and he was willing to accept that type of attack." "He didn't believe the U.S. would invade?" asks Pelley, "No, not initially," answers Piro.

Once the invasion was certain, says Piro, Saddam asked his generals if they could hold the invaders for two weeks. "And at that point, it would go into what he called the secret war," Piro tells Pelley. But Piro isn’t convinced that the insurgency was Saddam's plan. "Well, he would like to take credit for the insurgency," says Piro.

Saddam still wouldn't admit he had no weapons of mass destruction, even when it was obvious there would be military action against him because of the perception he did. Because, says Piro, "For him, it was critical that he was seen as still the strong, defiant Saddam. He thought that [faking having the weapons] would prevent the Iranians from reinvading Iraq," he tells Pelley.

He also intended and had the wherewithal to restart the weapons program. "Saddam] still had the engineers. The folks that he needed to reconstitute his program are still there," says Piro. "He wanted to pursue all of WMD…to reconstitute his entire WMD program." This included chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, Piro says.

Saddam bragged that he changed his routine and security to elude capture. "What he wanted to really illustrate is…how he was able to outsmart us," says Piro. "He told me he changed…the way he traveled. He got rid of his normal vehicles. He got rid of the protective detail that he traveled with, really just to change his signature."

It took nine months to finally capture Saddam, but U.S. calculations on where he might be early on turned out to be accurate. Saddam was at Dora Farms early in the war when the known presidential site was targeted with tons of bombs and many missiles. "He said it in a kind of a bragging fashion that he was there, but that we missed him. He wasn't bothered by the fact that he was there," Piro tells Pelley.<hr /></blockquote>

LWW

Qtec
01-25-2008, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He also intended and had the wherewithal to restart the weapons program. "Saddam] still had the engineers. The folks that he needed to reconstitute his program are still there," says Piro. "He wanted to pursue all of WMD…to reconstitute his entire WMD program." This included chemical, biological and nuclear weapons, Piro says. <hr /></blockquote>

What was he supposed to do with these engineers? Execute them?

Saddam DID claim he had no WMDs.

Q web page (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81303,00.html)

wolfdancer
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Not sure if I'm following the logic here, but....
Saddam pretends to have WMDs to keep the Iranians at bay; knowing that the Americans will attack? And then with his country in ruins, the infrastructure wrecked beyond repair, he would start a secret war? Hope he had a better plan then the one taking place.
AND, what does that say for the world's #1 intelligence agency....falling for his little joke? My, oh my!!!
I'm sure that many despots would like to have nuclear weapons, I wouldn't mind owning a few myself....but wanting and accomplishing are a world apart...

LWW
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
That, of se, isn't what the article said.

What it says is that, as I have said ad infinitum, is that the UN definition of WMD was NOT a rocket ready to fire with a nuke on top.

The missile itself would be a WMD ... and they found several. So would the warhead ... and they found several. So would a research facility ... and they found several. So would a human reaction test lab ... and they found at least one. So would bioweapons strains ... and they found several. So would facilities capable of building chem weapons ... and they found several. So would nuke research ... and they found that also.

LWW

LWW
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>What was he supposed to do with these engineers? Execute them?<hr /></blockquote>
Refuse to allow them to leave Iraq, like he did, until the moonbats in the west convinced the UN to drop sanctions ... which was close to happening ... and WMD was ramped back into full production.

LWW

wolfdancer
01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
And he traded all this info for some soap and toilet paper?
And this guy has been sitting on this while GWB is taking the heat?????
Ok then...a slight miscalculation then on Saddam's part.
Maybe GWB will get his face carved on Mt. Rushmore after all.

Qtec
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LWW:</font><hr> That, of se, isn't what the article said.

What it says is that, as I have said ad infinitum, is that the UN definition of WMD was NOT a rocket ready to fire with a nuke on top.

The missile itself would be a WMD ... and they found several. So would the warhead ... and they found several. So would a research facility ... and they found several. So would a human reaction test lab ... and they found at least one. So would bioweapons strains ... and they found several. So would facilities capable of building chem weapons ... and they found several. So would nuke research ... and they found that also.

LWW <hr /></blockquote>

Nice try but I'm not buying it. Yes, almost anything could be a WMD but GW, Condi etc ALL implied a nuclear threat from Iraq. 'Mushroom Cloud' means only one thing.
They pushed the idea that Saddam might give one of these non-existent nukes to Al Q, a terrorist group with whom he had no links and explode it in the US.
The only 'proof' they had to show that Iraq was seeking to build a nuke was the Yellowcake and the Alu Tubes - both claims have been utterly discredited.

If the Govt had found ANYTHING in Iraq that backed up ANY of their claims, it would be on Fox 24/7.
I guess I missed it.

Q...........someone also sent anthrax through the post that came from a US military base. Don't hear much about that anymore- or OBL. Is GW still 'smokin him out'? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Drop1
01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
No no,we are talking about rocks of mass destruction here. The word nuclear might have been mentioned,666 times,but not in the context of WMDs,being searched for by the UN. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Wolf, I can only ever remember Saddam denying that he had WMDS- even when he did have them.

Q

Qtec
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
It should mean Words of Mass Destruction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
or Words of Mass Distraction.
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
01-26-2008, 09:43 AM
The US knew he didn't have them, and had been told that it was unlikely he would ever use them against us if he did have them. People in the CIA, experts, told this administration that the one source they were relying on, was not reliable, and in fact, was a joke in the international foreign intelligence arena, a criminal and a liar.

It is well known, that the hawks from REagan's administration, who were encouraged by Reagan to form think tanks, such as the American Enterprise Institute, were hoping for a terrorist attack against us in order to invade Iraq, topple Saddam, and go after that oil.

They had reams of evidence, from inspectors, from experts, from the CIA, from foreign countries, which warned them against using intelligence from CURVEBALL, which was their sole intelligence on Mushroom Cloud Theories, the basis they used to scare Americans into submission, all against the theory of WMD's, or against Reconstitution of WMD's without our knowledge.

it was all a hoax, and over four thousand Americans are dead, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, over thirty thousand Americans injured, trillions in debt, loss of international respect, and these right wing nuts are still pusing for continuing to waste 12 billion dollars a month, on a policy which threatens our economy, and increasing terrorism.

for all the American BS about Nuclear Proliferation, we've spread more nukes around the world than any other country. It's a total joke.

The lies are still flowing out of this criminal administration. They should all be jailed.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
01-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Kind of hard to believe that there are still sheep out here, dumb enough to try to spread around lies that have all been thoroughly proven to be lies, over and over again.

There were no WMD, and our own government admitted that what was found in Iraq, was not the WMD that Bush lied to us all about.

There is more wasted space on this forum from obnoxious posters, who prove with every post that they are not even aware of all the undeniable proof existing which proves them wrong. that's bad enough, but on top of it, we have to put up with their arrogance, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stubborness, arrogance, and ignorance, quite a repulsive combination. Plenty enough of it in this White House. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

bamadog
01-26-2008, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Kind of hard to believe that there are still sheep out here, dumb enough to try to spread around lies that have all been thoroughly proven to be lies, over and over again.

There is more wasted space on this forum from obnoxious posters, who prove with every post that they are not even aware of all the undeniable proof existing which proves them wrong. that's bad enough, but on top of it, we have to put up with their arrogance, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Stubborness, arrogance, and ignorance, quite a repulsive combination. <hr /></blockquote>

Very true. And each time I read your posts I am reminded of this fact, yet again. Put down the haterade Gayle, and walk out into the sunshine. You will feel so much better.

Drop1
01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifMinister Bamagog what a wonderful metamorphosis.

LWW
01-26-2008, 04:18 PM
http://holamun2.com/images/freejoles/stop-sippin-haterade.gif

LWW

DickLeonard
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Gayle there is enuff info within 30 miles of me for me to build any kind of New Clear weapon. Talk about faulty information used to stack the deck against Iraq. For the life of me why didn't Saddam have an emissary act as a go between to put his cards on the table.

The reason we had to stay in Iraq was to Keep Iran out. Now we have to go to War with Iran or eventually they will be the Important player in the Region and We can't let them control all that oil Can WE.

Dick in Troy,Ny
Home of Uncle Sam
We want you to die for oil!!!!

Gayle in MD
01-29-2008, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the life of me why didn't Saddam have an emissary act as a go between to put his cards on the table.

<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, he did. The Iraqi Ambassador to the UN stated over and over, "How can we give you what we don't have?"

You can't prove a negative, but then this administration wasn't looking for proof, anyway. Proof was the thing they covered up, hence, the British Memo...

"The Bush Administration is fixing intelligence to fit their policy." Or words to that affect.

We won't be able to stay in the Middle East anyway. We're too broke, THANKS TO BUSH AND THE REPUBLICAN SPENDERS!

I hope we go broke fast enough to save some lives. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

China will be dictating to all of us soon, anyway, China and their friends the Russians. They always said they'd take us from within. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif