PDA

View Full Version : different bridges

spaur
01-25-2008, 09:00 AM
What type of bridge do you use?

I was playing last night and I was getting frustrated because I know where to hit my ob I just usually can't get the cb there. I used to be able to aim and do everything right..

I figured it out.. I changed my bridge to a closed bridge a few months ago because it just felt better. I was watching some people play and one of the guys used an open bridge for nearly every shot. I decided to try again with my open bridge.. absolutely perfect.

I realized my hands stay too sticky for a closed bridge and my cue would get hung up when I was pushing through the ball making me miss my shot.

So, just out of curiosity, what bridge do you use?

Deeman3
01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
I normally use a closed bridge for close shots or ones where I put a lot of spin on the cue ball. Until I played a good deal of snooker several years ago, I never used an open bridge. Now, for long shots where aim is critical, I use the open snooker bridge.

I use a closed bridge for breaking when my hand is resting on the table.

SKennedy
01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I use several depending upon the situation. I mostly use a closed bridge, but my hands are very dry. I should probably use an open bridge more often when I have the chance. I don't think the bridge has ever been an issue for me...and then again, I use to think my stroke was fine until I learned otherwise. I was fortunate in that I learned from watching other players who were pretty good on the table and just mimicking their behaviors, which is not the best way to learn.

dr_dave
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I use an open bridge on most shots, even on power shots, with and without English. It feels the most comfortable and accurate for me. For more info, see the links under "bridge" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> What type of bridge do you use?

I was playing last night and I was getting frustrated because I know where to hit my ob I just usually can't get the cb there. I used to be able to aim and do everything right..

I figured it out.. I changed my bridge to a closed bridge a few months ago because it just felt better. I was watching some people play and one of the guys used an open bridge for nearly every shot. I decided to try again with my open bridge.. absolutely perfect.

I realized my hands stay too sticky for a closed bridge and my cue would get hung up when I was pushing through the ball making me miss my shot.

So, just out of curiosity, what bridge do you use?<hr /></blockquote>

Billy_Bob
01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Sticky hands is not good! I would suggest using a glove.

I use closed bridges for off center shots as I find that this keeps me from miscuing. Especially a hard follow shot or cue ball frozen to rail and need speed.

Otherwise an open bridge, especially long shots as I can see the shot better.

For cue ball near a corner pocket or near a rail, I sometimes need to contort my hands in all sorts of different positions to make a bridge. I use whatever works and is comfortable. Most important to firmly support shaft however you manage to do that.

spaur
01-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought about a glove at first too.. but I figure I will look like a jackass since I'm not very good. If I was big [censored] on the table, I wouldn't mind using a glove.

bsmutz
01-25-2008, 12:28 PM
One thing that I and many others have noticed is that the propensity for a fiberglass shaft to stick in your bridge hand is a lot higher than with a wooden shaft.

SKennedy
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Forget the ego and wear a glove.

spaur
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Even with a glove I don't think it would help. My hands sweat constantly.. it would just soak through the glove.

SKennedy
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> Even with a glove I don't think it would help. My hands sweat constantly.. it would just soak through the glove. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you sweat so profusely just when playing pool? Is it because you are so nervous? If so, then you need to learn to relax. It is hard to play any sport and do well if not relaxed. Otherwise, maybe you can wear a thin neoprene glove under the pool glove? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Maybe someone on here has had the same problem and can help. My hands are very dry.....

BigRigTom
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I use both open and closed bridges depending on the shot. If you look closely most of the pros will use both as well.
I also use a glove so that the cue moves smoothly and consistently thru the bridge regardless of open or closed, loose or tight.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> Even with a glove I don't think it would help. My hands sweat constantly.. it would just soak through the glove. <hr /></blockquote>

Spaur you should try a glove anyway....one of the advantages is that even when the glove is a little damp the cue will slide very much the same thru your bridge. I know this from times when I unwittingly picked up cold beers with my gloved hand, took a few satisfying swallows and realized what I had done right when it was my turn to shoot.
Damp glove was NO problem so now I don't even think about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I use a Scorpion Glove by the way and it is a one size fits all. I keep a new one in my bag just in case I lose one, I really don't even consider shooting with out the glove anymore. I am addicted to it.

Billy_Bob
01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> I thought about a glove at first too.. but I figure I will look like a jackass since I'm not very good. If I was big [censored] on the table, I wouldn't mind using a glove. <hr /></blockquote>

You need to develop "thick skin" to play pool!

I'll tell you one thing... If you keep reading this forum and follow the advice here, you WILL become a very good player. And as you start to win games, those "friendly" people you are playing now will turn into mean nasty monsters. People do not like to lose.

So best to start developing your "thick skin" right now. Wear a glove and learn to ignore what other people think or say.

Another thing is that as you improve, some people will "shark" you. (Intentionally say and do things to make you play worse.) And during tournaments there are a lot of distractions and noise. You need to learn to ignore these things and concentrate on your shots. Block out what other people are saying or doing.

So get that glove, wear it all the time, and start learning how to ignore other people. A true friend would want you to do things to improve your playing. Not discourage you from doing things which will help your playing. Think about that!