PDA

View Full Version : the pause

billiards89
01-26-2008, 07:26 AM
im trying to figure out if its better to pause at the back of your last stroke like allison fisher or at the front before your last stroke

randyg
01-26-2008, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> im trying to figure out if its better to pause at the back of your last stroke like allison fisher or at the front before your last stroke <hr /></blockquote>

My answer would be both plus one.

There are three times when we should be in complete control of our cue stick. These three times are when the cue stick stops before it starts in another direction.

1. After all warm-ups we stop our cue stick at the cue ball for more info.

2. At the end of the back stroke when the cuestick changes directions.

3. At the end of our stroke for more info.

In Pool School we simple label those three stops: SET-PAUSE-FINISH

By doing this it allows the student to see/feel where their cue stick needs to be, and what is perfect for them....SPF=randyg

mikepage
01-26-2008, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> im trying to figure out if its better to pause at the back of your last stroke like allison fisher or at the front before your last stroke <hr /></blockquote>

Every instructor I know recommends pausing at the tip becore the final backstroke.

As for the Allison pause--the one at the backstroke--some instructors recommend pausing, some instructors recommend not pausing, and some instructors recommend you find your own path to salvation on this issue.

But here is something on which I think all instructors agree. The transition from the backstroke to the forward stroke must be smooth. And the biggest impediment to this is rushing the backstroke.

killerstroke
01-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I was fortunate enough a few years ago to watch a challenge match between Allison &amp; Grady. My seat was a nice comfy billiard chair as close to the action without being in the way. After watching Allison I started using the "Allison" pause before my final stroke. What a difference it made in my game. The reason for this pause is because it takes one set of muscles to pull the cue back and one set to stoke forward hitting the cue. Anytime you put a change in direction by muscle there is a jerk when the change is made. This jerk could have the tendency to throw off a 'STRAIGHT' stroke. For some players it is noticeable and others have mastered to keep it smooth. The pause will help make that final stroke one fluid motion. It does take some time to be comfortable with it but I believe it is worth the try to see what is comfortable for the individual.

Billy_Bob
01-26-2008, 10:33 AM
So far as the pause at the back of your stroke, not pausing is like backing up your car and while is is still going backwards, placing it in drive and going forward.

The way I understand this, you have backwards muscles and forwards muscles. If you start to go forward before the backwards muscles have completely stopped, then the forwards muscles are fighting the backwards muscles. Not smooth. So good to have a pause before the final stroke.

Artemus
01-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Have you ever noticed if your stroke went back slightly crooked in that paused state because the cue was now misaligned either to the right or left and you then altered the alignment back to straight before stroking through? Or do you just stroke it as is?

CarolNYC
01-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Randy,
My daughters 18 and a beginner and I asked her to read this-
With the UTMOST respect,she didnt understand what you meant

I set up a shot,told her to shoot at it, (she has a 1,2,3,shoot "warm-up"-like me-consistently-1,2,3,shoot!)
So,on her1,2, THREE,as her cue was forward,I told her "STOP-thats your set,pull your cue back,STOP,thats your pause,now fire,STOP,thats your finish,and watch the ball go in,thats your freeze!"
Her warmup is 3,so her actual shot takes place on 4???-
Did I explain that to her correctly?

Carol~hopefully,for Steves sake!ha ha ha!

Artemus
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Either I ain't unnerstandin' YOU, or my math is off. I count 5 at impact. (also with the utmost respect) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

randyg
01-26-2008, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Randy,
My daughters 18 and a beginner and I asked her to read this-
With the UTMOST respect,she didnt understand what you meant

I set up a shot,told her to shoot at it, (she has a 1,2,3,shoot "warm-up"-like me-consistently-1,2,3,shoot!)
So,on her1,2, THREE,as her cue was forward,I told her "STOP-thats your set,pull your cue back,STOP,thats your pause,now fire,STOP,thats your finish,and watch the ball go in,thats your freeze!"
Her warmup is 3,so her actual shot takes place on 4???-
Did I explain that to her correctly?

Carol~hopefully,for Steves sake!ha ha ha!

Sounds perfect, good job. A Mantra goes anything like this:

1-2-3 and STOP (eyes to target)
Smoooooth back (just relax, going to stop the cue anyway)
Take back hand HOME (or tip to Finish)
Check results.
REPEAT

Love ya
randyg

<hr /></blockquote>

CarolNYC
01-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Phew! That was a close one,ha ha ha-Steve would've killed me!

[ QUOTE ]
Mantra goes anything like this:

1-2-3 and STOP (eyes to target)
Smoooooth back (just relax, going to stop the cue anyway)
Take back hand HOME (or tip to Finish)
Check results.
REPEAT
<hr /></blockquote>
I like it!
She seems to be taking some interest,so,when the time comes, I may be contacting you -Im not a teacher and she needs a PROFESSIONAL /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Love ya ,too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

dr_dave
01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote billiards89:</font><hr> im trying to figure out if its better to pause at the back of your last stroke like allison fisher or at the front before your last stroke <hr /></blockquote>Check out the links under "stroke - set-pause-finish-freeze" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html). There's lots of good advice and rationale there. Also, my stroke "best practices" document (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/stroke_best_practices.pdf) does a decent job summarizing the generally accepted ideas on these topics.

Regards,
Dave

pooltchr
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Carol,
Randy is planning on coming to Charlotte in Sept and we will be doing another school here then. We would love to have her in the class...and a good excuse to see you too!!
Steve

CarolNYC
01-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Steve,
PM me the info when you get a chance-
Thank you!
Carol

pooltchr
01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
As soon as we get the date set, you'll be the first to know.
Steve