PDA

View Full Version : I am Thinking B-4 I Shoot and need some advise

BigRigTom
01-26-2008, 05:47 PM
It is still my mantra to "Think B-4 U Shoot, then Shoot Without Thinking!" because it is working for me. (Thanks again Steve!)

As I mentioned in another thread, this season I have played 6 matches and only lost one.

Well I have won all three in my APA nine ball league and so the APA raised me from a skill level 7 to an 8! That is great because that is what I was trying to achieve this season...but...it is just too soon and terrible timing.

My next match in 9 ball is against our division's best player who is a skill level 9...he is very near pro caliber. He also managed to edge me out of the top slot in the MVP and is now 4 points ahead of me. We have each played 3 and won 3 matches.

Next Thursday if I can beat him I will get his 9 points but if he beats me he will get my 8 points.

I really need to come out ahead on this one match and I will then have a better chance of staying in front the rest of the season......any suggestions going into a match of this kind of personal importance?
I usually thrive on pressure to a point so that is usually not a big problem but this is a bit of a stretch for me so someone help me too see what I should do to improve my chances here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bradb
01-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Getting readdy for a big match is such a personal thing Tom, its hard to say what is good for different players.

I like to get down to the club early and do a lot of pregame practice, this helps me to feel like i'm already in to the match. Sometimes I have this feeling inside that I might not play well. To get by that feeling I've learned to play in the moment not think ahead or back. I focus on my game and nothing else.

Once i had the jitters coming into a match so I recited the preamble to the constitution in my head, I was so intent on remembering the lines I almost forgot I was in a game!

A player in our club was about to play Cliff Thorburn in an exhibition match. To shake off the fear he went on one of those arcade machines and played right up until the time to break... he played terrible!... It was embarrasing. I think he should have had his head into the game thinking about pool. After that I vowed I would always have my thoughts on play and never be distracted before a match. -brad

BigRigTom
01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Brad,
This 9 and I have played each other many times over the years and I consider him a good friend. He has been on my teams several times and is one of the best coaches I have ever worked with.
Unfortunately that means he knows my game very well and I know as much as I possibly can at my level about his game. He is way better than me and I haven't beaten him in nine ball since I was a 5. I got really close a few times but he usually winds up playing a killer safe that almost guarantees ball in hand then he runs out like some kind of machine.
I need a few lucky rolls to get to the table with any kind of shot and then I have to keep him in the seat to have a chance. Knowing all these things makes for a pretty tense situation so to execute under those conditions I have to be totally focused into my game once I approach the table and try to forget who is waiting for me to miss.

ceebee
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey there Big Rig, here's hoping you show up to play the match. Try not to think about the match, that will only create stress.

I suggest that you practice the "Break Shot", so you will comfortable when it's your turn to start the game. If you break up the rack, you are fortunate enough to make a ball & can see the one ball (or the lowest number ball on the table), you have the power at that point to control your opponent.

If you can run out, play one shot at a time. If you can't, carefully choose where to play your safety. This kind of strategy has served me well, Good Luck.

Cydpkt
01-27-2008, 12:24 AM
If he hooks you and there is a very low percentage shot for the hit you might look to cause a problem somewhere else on the table. If you can only give him 1 or 2 points it is better than giving him the whole rack. Even if he takes the 1 or 2 then hooks you again, you might end up with a higher percentage shot or kick later in the rack.

CarolNYC
01-27-2008, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what I should do to improve my chances here <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Tom,
Try to focus on technique and not the result-dont worry about the score,dont let the words "lose" enter your mind-dont worry about what your opponent is doing and just believe in your own abilities-take one shot at a time and one game at a time!

Stay focused "on the moment"-forget about the past and future-
Relax before the match and do whatever it is you do to relax-get a massage,listen to music,blah,blah,blah
Dont get lazy with your pre-shot routine -NO LAZY POOL:)
Only you can put yourself in a winnng postion-have a positive attitude and remember in order to win,you have to believe you are going to win-
Dont get discouraged,stay focused-if you make a mistake,forget about it -just think of it as a challenge you'll overcome-stick with the moment
Approach the table with confidence,even if he got a lucky shot,stay confident and you'll increase your chances of executing a successful shot---you'll see things clearly and you'll think clear-give it the best you got with what you got-
Let them know who you are,that you didnt just "show-up" you came to win /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Warriors focus on one thing "Victory!" If you start to doubt yourself,remember your "journey" to get to this point and remind yourself you've come a long way
your opponent doesnt weaken you,your own self doubt does-YOU have control of your mind so free it of ANY negative thoughts-your not playing HIM, your playing a TABLE-dont let the table beat you!
Kick that "lifeless" tables butt!
If your uncertain about a shot-PLAY SAFE-one shot at a time-take your time and BREATH!
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Carol~words that have been imprinted in my brain,ha ha ha

BigRigTom
01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> If he hooks you and there is a very low percentage shot for the hit you might look to cause a problem somewhere else on the table. If you can only give him 1 or 2 points it is better than giving him the whole rack. Even if he takes the 1 or 2 then hooks you again, you might end up with a higher percentage shot or kick later in the rack. <hr /></blockquote>
Great advise and this is something that I do sometimes forget to consider.
Thanks

BigRigTom
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
what I should do to improve my chances here <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Tom,
Try to focus on technique and not the result-dont worry about the score,dont let the words "lose" enter your mind-dont worry about what your opponent is doing and just believe in your own abilities-take one shot at a time and one game at a time!

Stay focused "on the moment"-forget about the past and future-
Relax before the match and do whatever it is you do to relax-get a massage,listen to music,blah,blah,blah
Dont get lazy with your pre-shot routine -NO LAZY POOL:)
Only you can put yourself in a winnng postion-have a positive attitude and remember in order to win,you have to believe you are going to win-
Dont get discouraged,stay focused-if you make a mistake,forget about it -just think of it as a challenge you'll overcome-stick with the moment
Approach the table with confidence,even if he got a lucky shot,stay confident and you'll increase your chances of executing a successful shot---you'll see things clearly and you'll think clear-give it the best you got with what you got-
Let them know who you are,that you didnt just "show-up" you came to win /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Warriors focus on one thing "Victory!" If you start to doubt yourself,remember your "journey" to get to this point and remind yourself you've come a long way
your opponent doesnt weaken you,your own self doubt does-YOU have control of your mind so free it of ANY negative thoughts-your not playing HIM, your playing a TABLE-dont let the table beat you!
Kick that "lifeless" tables butt!
If your uncertain about a shot-PLAY SAFE-one shot at a time-take your time and BREATH!
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Carol~words that have been imprinted in my brain,ha ha ha <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Carol,
This is a really good pep talk...I printed it out and will re-read it several times between now and Thursday and then again just before I leave home on Thursday.

I really appreciate all the good advise I have received on this post and I do plan to win this match.
Thanks to all of you.

Artemus
01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>
Thanks Carol,
This is a really good pep talk...I printed it out and will re-read it several times between now and Thursday and then again just before I leave home on Thursday.

I really appreciate all the good advise I have received on this post and I do plan to win this match.
Thanks to all of you. <hr /></blockquote>

And don't forget the most important advice, the massage. Hope everything ends up "happy" for you.

Ralph_Kramden
01-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Think B-4 you shoot is all the advice you need. If you can make a ball, think about where you want the cueball for the next shot. If you don't have a shot, think about what you need to do so you won't lose the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bradb
01-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Carol has said it all, and much better than my attempt. Its a mind game its all about confidence and focus. Think about your stroke, stay in the moment. its the table you must conquer, not your opponent.

CarolNYC
01-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Your welcome!
We're rooting for you
Carol~needed a "pep" talk MANY times /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
01-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Brad,
You mentioned something very important,you said:

"Once i had the jitters coming into a match so I recited the preamble to the constitution in my head, I was so intent on remembering the lines I almost forgot I was in a game!"

Your key word was "RECITED" which is compared to CHANTING:

The continuous recitation of mantras. It is used in meditation. Some call chanting a primitive way of altering the consciousness and raising psychic power or energy

I have done this same thing and the game came naturally-I just knew what to do!

Have a great day!
Carol

wolfdancer
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I like the "think before you shoot...." courtesy of Steve, as a good mantra.
Might use it to replace my old one:
"You may fire when ready, Gridley"

SKennedy
01-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Tom, if he starts out in the very first game and appears to be shooting better than you, etc., then when it's your shot and you don't really have a run out, make a hit and try to move every ball of his on the table around. I know you really risk an early 8, or scratch, etc., but it sure is fun to watch the other players face when you do that...especially when he won't expect that from a level 8 player....
What works for me (of course I have no high profile matches) is to be relaxed and have a lot of confidence that particular night. Unfortunately, I don't always feel that way and don't know how to consistently be in that frame of mind.
But, good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out....

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Tom, if he starts out in the very first game and appears to be shooting better than you, etc., then when it's your shot and you don't really have a run out, make a hit and try to move every ball of his on the table around. I know you really risk an early 8, or scratch, etc., but it sure is fun to watch the other players face when you do that...especially when he won't expect that from a level 8 player....
What works for me (of course I have no high profile matches) is to be relaxed and have a lot of confidence that particular night. Unfortunately, I don't always feel that way and don't know how to consistently be in that frame of mind.
But, good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.... <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for your support and that would be fun to do in 8 ball but this match will be in 9 ball so his ball is also my ball....darn it.
My biggest challenge it to keep him OFF the table and if and when he does get to the table I need to make sure he has to bank, kick, play safe or as a last resort try to limit the number of balls he'll be able to sink.
That is a tall order with this guy but it is what the game is all about.
I look forward to the day I can play him even up and make him sweat if he wants to win.

SKennedy
01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Tom, if he starts out in the very first game and appears to be shooting better than you, etc., then when it's your shot and you don't really have a run out, make a hit and try to move every ball of his on the table around. I know you really risk an early 8, or scratch, etc., but it sure is fun to watch the other players face when you do that...especially when he won't expect that from a level 8 player....
But, good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.... <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for your support and that would be fun to do in 8 ball but this match will be in 9 ball so his ball is also my ball....darn it.
My biggest challenge it to keep him OFF the table and if and when he does get to the table I need to make sure he has to bank, kick, play safe or as a last resort try to limit the number of balls he'll be able to sink.
That is a tall order with this guy but it is what the game is all about.
I look forward to the day I can play him even up and make him sweat if he wants to win. <hr /></blockquote>

My bad.....I had 8-ball on the brain. Sorry. However, there may still be some merit to the idea..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I really would not seriously advocate that for 8-ball either, unless I was really desperate.

I was wondering how the skill levels in APA 8-ball vs APA 9-ball match up....
We had a young man I know on an opposing team that is a level 7 in 9-ball, but is a 6 currently in 8-ball. He has improved over the last year and is a much better player. I use to beat him consistently, but not any more. Unfortunately, he is really arrogant! He could not believe when we put up a 5 against him that we honestly thought our 5 could beat him. He was on the hill and our 5 needed to win 2 games and this kid says to me "You really think he can beat me?" I told him yes, that our 5 was a very smart player and he (the kid) was certainly beatable. He acted shocked! Our 5 won the match and the kid immediately left. This kid is about 25 and I haven't seen such arrogance in a while. Maybe he learned something, but I doubt it. Anyway, here's rooting for the underdog! (Except when I play those old blue-haired level 2 ladies! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Jager85
01-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I am nowhere close to pro, or possibly even your level, but I do know in pool you only have oneopponent, yourself. It is only you and the table. Always remember, anyone can be beat if they are sitting down.

Artemus
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Why has nobody handicapped this and set a Line to place bets?

So, BigRig, who would YOU put your money on now after all the advice?

SKennedy
01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jager85:</font><hr> I am nowhere close to pro, or possibly even your level, but I do know in pool you only have oneopponent, yourself. It is only you and the table. Always remember, anyone can be beat if they are sitting down. <hr /></blockquote>

PLay the table is good advice. However, if you are playing a more skilled opponent, you need to think about her/him and how you leave them if you do not have a shot. Otherwise, you'll likely get beat.

SKennedy
01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> Why has nobody handicapped this and set a Line to place bets?

So, BigRig, who would YOU put your money on now after all the advice? <hr /></blockquote>
Based upon the stats I've seen for our APA league, the smart money always goes on the higher level skilled player. The odds are with them.

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> Why has nobody handicapped this and set a Line to place bets?

So, BigRig, who would YOU put your money on now after all the advice? <hr /></blockquote>
Based upon the stats I've seen for our APA league, the smart money always goes on the higher level skilled player. The odds are with them. <hr /></blockquote>

Not always but in this case I am definitely the underdog.
I do have a mean bite and if I get off to a good start I could pull off an upset!

Sort of like the Giants beating the Patriots though so I would definitely be a long shot!...just don't count me out until that nine has his 75! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am shooting good thanks to Steve lending me that Mantra and I do have home table advantage at the Arena Sport Bar in Simi Valley, Ca.

Anyone in the area come on down and I'll buy you a beer.
We start league play at 7:30 PM West Coast Time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
We may have the last match though, we usually do.

Artemus
01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
No, no, no, the money. Where are YOU betting YOUR money BigRig? Who gets the nod, you or the other guy? The window closes in just a few minutes.
Unfortunately I can't make it there for the match. Could you mail the money to me for a 6 pack? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Brad,
You mentioned something very important,you said:

"Once i had the jitters coming into a match so I recited the preamble to the constitution in my head, I was so intent on remembering the lines I almost forgot I was in a game!"

Your key word was "RECITED" which is compared to CHANTING:

The continuous recitation of mantras. It is used in meditation. Some call chanting a primitive way of altering the consciousness and raising psychic power or energy

I have done this same thing and the game came naturally-I just knew what to do!

Have a great day!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Yes I suppose it is like a chant, it forces you to think about something else rather than the fear building up inside your chest.

In a league snooker tournament a few years back it came down to me to win the last match. I was so shaky I could hardly hold my cue. I knew I needed to refocus so I thought of the constitutional preamble i had to memorize back in grade school. I began to try and remember it. It worked, I forget about the crowd watching, finally the fear went away and I played a good game. (I lost, but it went to the black ball) -brad

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I never bet against myself.
NUFFSAID?

Artemus
01-28-2008, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I never bet against myself.
NUFFSAID? <hr /></blockquote>

I thought you'd say that and I'm glad you have the confidence. I'll bet $5 on the other dude and give you
2-1. Only one thing more needs to be said before "nuff", yay or nay.
(this is good, now BigRig is playing with some fire, passion, and anger as motivators)
Remember Biggy, NO BET is like betting against yourself, especially when the pot has been sweetened to 2-1. NO BET is not safe haven.

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 02:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I never bet against myself.
NUFFSAID? <hr /></blockquote>

I thought you'd say that and I'm glad you have the confidence. I'll bet $5 on the other dude and give you
2-1. Only one thing more needs to be said, yay or nay.
(this is good, now BigRig is playing with some fire, passion, and anger)
Remember Biggy, NO BET is like betting against yourself, especially when the pot has been sweetened to 2-1. NO BET is not safe haven. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure this is totally legal, and I don't know you at all but if it is not illegal and you are serious you have a wager.
I am no mathemetician but if I did the division correctly (5/2) I am risking $2.50 which is not even the price of a beer out here on the Left Coast.

The question is do you know how to use paypal and are you good for it if you lose? I do and I am.
Either way thanks for the incentive, I can use all I can get!

Artemus
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The bet is $5. If you lose you pay me $5. If I lose I pay you $10.

If that's OK with you, how about a 2nd bet. $100 to me if the other guy beats you and $150 to you if you beat him?
Yay or nay on this and the other one.

No, I don't have a PayPal account and I'm not going to set one up. CASH or Check by mail. Gentleman's agreement and honor to send it.

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> The bet is $5. If you lose you pay me $5. If I lose I pay you $10.

If that's OK with you, how about a 2nd bet. $100 to me if the other guy beats you and $150 to you if you beat him?

No, I don't have a PayPal account and I'm not going to set one up. CASH or Check by mail. Gentleman's agreement and honor to send it. <hr /></blockquote>

Your $10 against my $5 is acceptible and consider it a wager and I accept your "gentleman's agreement to pay cash or check by mail"...again providing this is NOT illegal. We would not want to upset the powers that be on this board or anything like that.

Like I said, I am not a mathematician but even I can see the higher the numbers the lower the odds so I will pass on that offer.

Artemus
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> The bet is $5. If you lose you pay me $5. If I lose I pay you $10.

No, I don't have a PayPal account and I'm not going to set one up. CASH or Check by mail. Gentleman's agreement and honor to send it. <hr /></blockquote>

Your $10 against my $5 is acceptible and consider it a wager and I accept your "gentleman's agreement to pay cash or check by mail"...again providing this is NOT illegal. We would not want to upset the powers that be on this board or anything like that.

Like I said, I am not a mathematician but even I can see the higher the numbers the lower the odds so I will pass on that offer. <hr /></blockquote>

So how about the same odds. You pay me $100 if he wins and I pay you $200 if you win?

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Not until I know you a little better.
Let's see if you pay up on $10 /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Artemus
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Not until I know you a little better.
Let's see if you pay up on $10 /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That goes both ways, doesn't it? Hey, what if we just made an EVEN bet on the $100 without the odds, if you didn't take the bet at even, you'd still be betting against yourself, so why quibble about the math? So are you betting against yourself or using my integrity as an out?

Oh, I pay my debts. Let's see if you pay yours. I'd much rather pay and tell you "nice game" as opposed to being blasted on here as a welcher and big mouth jerkoff. (but what the heck, a couple of guys on here have already done that. LMAO I guess the feeling is mutual /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
There will be plenty of matches after this one.
Patience is a virtue.
I'll keep the risk manageable at the $5 for now.
Thanks, anyway and maybe you'll be glad I didn't take your money later....who knows? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
01-28-2008, 05:12 PM
And I got Toms back on that 5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Artemus
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> There will be plenty of matches after this one.
Patience is a virtue.
I'll keep the risk manageable at the $5 for now.
Thanks, anyway and maybe you'll be glad I didn't take your money later....who knows? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Take my money!! Take my money!! I'm soooooo ripe for the pickin'.

Artemus
01-28-2008, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> And I got Toms back on that 5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

Wha? You talkin' to me?? Huh, you talkin' to me woman??

Cuz for YOU, and just for YOU, that'll be 5 alright with two zeros at the end.

<hr /></blockquote>

Artemus
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I now know for a FACT that BigRig and Carol are both stand up honest people.

Biggy could have just taken the $100+ bet and told me that he won the match, what would I know and how could it be verified.

Carol could have taken the $500 bet and cut Biggy in for half if he said that he won the match. But then again, maybe Carol was too busy with dinner and all to get around to it until later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That having been said, they're BOTH on the A list for honesty and integrity. (although I still have those thoughts about what Carol might have done with more time) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All betting windows are now CLOSED!

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi Brad,
Sorry, I missed this!
[ QUOTE ]
I knew I needed to refocus so I thought of the constitutional preamble i had to memorize back in grade school. I began to try and remember it <hr /></blockquote>

I took Tai Chi Chuan for 2 years-the act of reciting,memorizing."chanting" is a type of meditation which brought you to a subconscious level:)

[ QUOTE ]
It worked, I forget about the crowd watching, finally the fear went away and I played a good game. <hr /></blockquote>
THERE IT IS! Conscious states deal with self-awareness-you were UNAWARE!

And sometimes I play like Im UNCONSCIOUS and cant make a damn ball,ha ha ha-
But you got to that subconscious level-great job!
Carol

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
"Yeah, Im tawking to you!" (just kidding)ha ha ha

Open your email-we got some business propositions! ha ha
Carol

BigRigTom
01-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Artemus,

Here is a link so you can see the standings for yourself.
Of course there is always the possibility that Rich could dodge me but he never has before and I know for a fact he plans to be there and play this match.

South Coast APA Division 842 MVP Standings T.O. 9 Ball Thursday Nights (http://www.southcoastapa.com/XMLStats/StatViewer.aspx?stat=MVP%20List&amp;DivNum=842&amp;DivName =T.O.%209-Ball%20Red)

As you can see we each have played 3 matches this season and we each have won 3. Last week he played and 8 and won while I played only a 2 and won. That diference of 6 points gave him a 5 point lead on me. That is why I need to win the match tomorrow. If he beats me he will gain another 8 points in the MVP race and be so far out front that I may not be able to catch him by the end of the season. It is do or die for me while it is not so big a deal for him.

bradb
01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi Brad,

I took Tai Chi Chuan for 2 years-the act of reciting,memorizing."chanting" is a type of meditation which brought you to a subconscious level:)

THERE IT IS! Conscious states deal with self-awareness-you were UNAWARE!

And sometimes I play like Im UNCONSCIOUS and cant make a damn ball,ha ha ha-
But you got to that subconscious level-great job!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

My wife is trying to get me to go to her Yoga classes, she says that will help me to settle down and play better pool. I may go yet!

BigRigTom
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I've tried yoga and I think she is right.
Try it.
I always felt relaxed and engergized both afterward...no excuse for not keeping with it...I should have and maybe I will go back to it.
Kind of like I plan to lose weight, exercise, eat right and go to church....some day.
Right now I am going to practice pool though.

BigRigTom
02-01-2008, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> I now know for a FACT that BigRig and Carol are both stand up honest people.

Biggy could have just taken the $100+ bet and told me that he won the match, what would I know and how could it be verified.

Carol could have taken the $500 bet and cut Biggy in for half if he said that he won the match. But then again, maybe Carol was too busy with dinner and all to get around to it until later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That having been said, they're BOTH on the A list for honesty and integrity. (although I still have those thoughts about what Carol might have done with more time) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All betting windows are now CLOSED! <hr /></blockquote>

Artemus if you will PM me your mailing address I will mail you the $5 &amp;*(&amp;%%&amp;%$$##$)_(*+)+

I was totally out played last night.
The score was 75 to 27 in 14 innings with him playing 3 safes and me none. That was a match score of 17 to 3!
OUCH!
The match went exactly according to my plan. The only problem was, it was the other guy with MY plan. I was the one in the chair most of the night. When I did get to the table it was kicking and banking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I made some good attempts at coming back but was never a threat....back to the practive table for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How do you practice coming out of the chair and to the table cold but playing at 100% after watching your opponent run 2 or 3 racks?
I have seen some pros do it but how the heck does one learn that skill? /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

CarolNYC
02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Well Tom,
Im sorry to hear this /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How do you practice coming out of the chair and to the table cold but playing at 100% after watching your opponent run 2 or 3 racks <hr /></blockquote>
By having self-confidence when your sitting in the chair-I would sit with "I cant WAIT for you to miss" and jump out the chair to get to the table-
But it seems ,even when you got to the table,you had to kick or bank,so ,unless you kicked safe or banked safe,you really didnt get a chance to shoot
Carol

bradb
02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear it Tom. Sounds like this guy is really tough.

I know what you mean on trying to stay focused when you're planted in a chair. Then when you finally do get a some sort of shot you feel like you have a mountain to climb.

I was watching Earl play the Chinese player (in the World Open) who started off running 5 racks of 9 ball on Earl, then when Earl finally got to the table he was hooked!

But Earl won!... he sat in his chair glaring at the guy the whole time. Then he stepped up cold after all this time and hooked the guy back! The Chinese player crumbled and Earl took the next 9 games.

I guess we gotta work on our glare! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
The night was not without highlights. I did have one spectacular moment even if it was too brief.
Check out this thread and the cue table example of my brief and shinning moment.
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32

The other bright spot is I may get a rematch later in the season, if we can stay in the running for the playoffs. I will have to just be ready to make my come back then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
02-02-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Tom,
That looks like some difficult shots you were making,hmmmmm,i think, I would have cut the one into or arounf first diamond (short rail)bank into first diamond (long rail) bringing it up table towards middle diamond-cueball would have went toards 6,9 and possibly pocket the 6 ,but I would have called SAFE, or, I might have snapped the one in with low right which would have drawn my cue into 7 or 8-I dont know-and under pressure,you never know what one can do-I'd have to set it up on the table -who knows /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
[ QUOTE ]
I will have to just be ready to make my come back then. <hr /></blockquote>
There you go-thats what Im talking about-love the posiyive attitude!I'll be rooting for ya!
Carol

BigRigTom
02-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Yep, there were probably several ways that would have been better.
When I went to the table and was faced with that shot it was about the 3rd rack and I am not sure what the score was but it was some where around 18 to 2.

The long shot on the one was not that dificult for me but since the 2 was a sitting duck, I figured I could make it from just about anywhere, I wasn't trying to make the 6, I merely wanted to break up the 9 &amp; 6 which would improve my chances of running out and making a significant dent in the score deficit. I expected that the cue ball would hit the nine and if the 6 went in it would not be a bad thing.

In hindsite, the way I played it was fine but after I made that unbelievable shot on the 2 I should have took a deep breath, walked around the table, chalked my cue, re-surveyed the table and give my adrenalin level time to come down a bit. Then re-approach the shot on the 3 like it was the regular everyday shot that it was.

How many times do we miss the easy shot immediately after the hard one....I know that....I just didn't stop and realize it at that time and it cost me.

That may very well have been the turning point of the whole match for me. That table was prime for me to run out and I missed the oportunity because I didn't realize what was happening inside myself at that critical moment. The rush I get from making a very difficult shot is a known fact to me so I have to deal with it properly so I don't misuse the energy spike.

I will take that lesson to the bank and save it for a later withdrawal on a rainy day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
02-02-2008, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many times do we miss the easy shot immediately after the hard one<hr /></blockquote>
Not to worry-I hate to admit it,but, I've missed ball-in-hand! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
You'll do great next time /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol