PDA

View Full Version : Ladies vs Men

spaur
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
My hall holds a 9 ball tournament on Saturday nights. It's a race to two, and ladies get one game. I was the only girl playing one night and was able to win 2 of my games in the winners bracket and one in the losers because of the one up on the wire. I'm not that great at pool, I just got a little lucky. This doesn't seem fair to me to the guys, because I know some women players that are just as good as they are.

It's also saying that girls need some help to stay up with the guys. To me pool is an even game between ladies and men..I mean, it really doesn't take a lot of physical strength like it does if you were playing, lets say, football. So, why do some tournaments insist on "helping" the ladies so?

What do you think?

SpiderMan
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM
I imagine it's probably a function of the local players available to participate. At the recreational level (I assume this is a weekly bar tourney), the host is probably just trying to make the event interesting to all, based on the talent level he is expecting.

Most of the bar tournaments in Dallas have some concession to female players - typically an additional prize for "last lady eliminated", or perhaps seeding a bracket to guarantee at least one lady makes the quarterfinals. That's fine with me, as long as the event is well-managed and concessions are reasonable considering the participation.

I like the idea of seeing more female entrants in these recreational tournaments. I'm a serious league player, and I've always been annoyed at the absolute dearth of available partners for mixed Scotch doubles. There's just not enough women to go around, and anything that might encourage more interest by the fairer sex sounds good to me.

SpiderMan

bradb
01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> My hall holds a 9 ball tournament on Saturday nights. It's a race to two, and ladies get one game. I was the only girl playing one night and was able to win 2 of my games in the winners bracket and one in the losers because of the one up on the wire. I'm not that great at pool, I just got a little lucky. This doesn't seem fair to me to the guys, because I know some women players that are just as good as they are.

It's also saying that girls need some help to stay up with the guys. To me pool is an even game between ladies and men..I mean, it really doesn't take a lot of physical strength like it does if you were playing, lets say, football. So, why do some tournaments insist on "helping" the ladies so?

What do you think? <hr /></blockquote>

Since there are so few women players they are just trying to incourage more of you to come in a play, they want your business.

But If you keep playing and getting better believe me they will stop any handicaps or help in your play as you start to win.

Keep practicing, there are some really good women players out there and pool needs more of you. Good luck -brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

spaur
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Actually quite a few girls usually play in it, I just happened to be the only one that week. Not a bar tourney either. It's 9 footers, winner takes like $200.

Deeman3
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Out of curiosity, where do you play. I am originally from Memphis, as is Spiderman, but it has been years since playing there. Also, who are the top players there now, if you know.

Thanks,

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Out of curiosity, where do you play. I am originally from Memphis, as is Spiderman, but it has been years since playing there. Also, who are the top players there now, if you know.

Thanks, <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman saw "quite a few girls" &amp; "$200" and then "Memphis" truly woke him up...he he. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Seriously tho,
I have been beaten many times by the fairer sex and many of those times it was straight up. There are lots of women in the APA that can hold their own but then there are a lot MORE men players.
I too would love to see more women step up to the plate. There is no "GOOD" reason why women should not strive to be an equal contention if not the dominant sex in pool.

CarolNYC
01-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi,
You did good! Great job!
You were the only girl,so, I guess it isnt about encouraging girls to play?
Usually, someone vouches for your level of play and your given a handicap-
How many players were in the event?
To be quite frank,I've never heard of a race to two!
[ QUOTE ]
why do some tournaments insist on "helping" the ladies so?

<hr /></blockquote>
You can always tell the tournament director you do not WANT/NEED the spot-you'll play straight-up!
When you start playing some higher caliber players,IN LEAGUE, your going to welcome that help-and pretty soon, you'll be spotting them,ha haha-women arent the ONLY ones who get a spot
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Take care!
Carol

spaur
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Out of curiosity, where do you play. I am originally from Memphis, as is Spiderman, but it has been years since playing there. Also, who are the top players there now, if you know. <hr /></blockquote>

I play at The Rack, formerly Samples Neighborhood Grill on Lamar Avenue. I really don't know of the good players around. Where are you now?

Deeman3
01-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I am in Southern Alabama, via Germany, France, China, Thailand, England, Pennsylviania, Detroit, Arkansas, Missouri and Texas....can't stay anywhere more than a few years...They might catch up with me.

Grew up in Memphis, played at all the pool halls, most that are still left may be The Rack in Southaven and High Pockets.....

Welcome to the board and give 'em hell in the tournaments...

bradb
01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Deeman, have you ever played in Dallas at a place called Times Square? I don't even know if its around anymore, but what a hustlers pool hall. Saw some great money matches there. -brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bambu
01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I know this will sound sexist, but you did ask (so dont get mad)! In my opinion, men have historically been hunters, while women the gatherers. Its just basic human nature that men have better hand/eye coordination in general. I dont like comparing pool to bowling, but thats a similar circumstance.
Say this was 10,000 years ago. I might be out hunting you down a new lion coat, or off conquering a new land somewhere. While I am gone, somebody has to watch the kids. If I somehow manage to come back with the coat, someone needs to make me a sandwich.

bradb
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> I know this will sound sexist, but you did ask (so dont get mad)! In my opinion, men have historically been hunters, <hr /></blockquote>

Forget it Thor... want to see some aggressive hunting? go mall shopping with a women? better start your gathering now, the stone age is gone.

Deeman3
01-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't recall the place but have played in many places in Dallas over the years. My last stint in Texas was about three years ago but I lived in Longview and only made Dallas a few times a year.

Deeman3
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bambu:</font><hr> I know this will sound sexist, but you did ask (so dont get mad)! In my opinion, men have historically been hunters, <hr /></blockquote>

Forget it Thor... want to see some aggressive hunting? go mall shopping with a women? better start your gathering now, the stone age is gone. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> While there may be some truth in his "Me Tarzan, you Jane" theory, I have to interject that if Jane had a 9 footer she played on while he was out throwing spears, she'd probably have to give him the Orange Crush upon his valiant return. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

bradb
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I don't recall the place but have played in many places in Dallas over the years. My last stint in Texas was about three years ago but I lived in Longview and only made Dallas a few times a year. <hr /></blockquote>

I go back to the 70's. It was over around north east Dallas, there was a bar/restraunt downstairs and the pool hall was above.

Deeman3
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Brad,

I actually may have been there as I spent more time in the 1070's in Dallas than almost anywhere else. Of course, my memory is not clear about all those times.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bradb
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
There are even some players up here that have played there. It was sort of the hub of hustle pool back then for the mid west. When it first opened it was well respected, even Willy did an exibition match there, but in the sixtys and seventies it started to get pretty rough.

There would be big money matches going on with wads of cash stuffed in the pockets for the winner (unless you were a regular you payed after each game.)
I got in a game with a black guy who looked like he could'nt hold a cue. When I went up to check out the balls, the guy behind the counter says, "you don't wanta play him, trust me!" I left and never found out his name. -brad

CarolNYC
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, men have historically been hunters, while women the gatherer-
I might be out hunting you down a new lion coat, or off conquering a new land somewhere. While I am gone, somebody has to watch the kids. If I somehow manage to come back with the coat, someone needs to make me a sandwich <hr /></blockquote>

BAM-BAM,
(cracking up)

Bring it back and I'll play Pebbles and cook your bronto-burger,ha ha ha!If not,"no BEEF for you"!,haha ha-ah,the power of a woman!ha ha ha
You guys are too funny!
Have a great night,all!
Carol

CarolNYC
01-28-2008, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget it Thor... want to see some aggressive hunting? go mall shopping with a women <hr /></blockquote>
OMG-too funny!
That was GREAT,Brad!
CArol~stomach hurts from laughing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

av84fun
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Duplicate post from similar thread.

PS: I just happened to watch the WPC finals between Gomez and Peach. It was a race to 17 and as usual, even in much shorter races, the racks were heavily edited so the following does not reflect the entire match...BUT...

10 racks were shown. Of those, there were SEVEN outright misses...5 by Gomez and 2 by Peach.

Peach won 17-15 so it is clear that unforced errors where the difference in this world championship evet.

That is the RULE and not the exception.

Stated another way, there were outright misses in SEVENTY PERCENT of the televised races.

It two racks...20% of the total, BOTH players missed at least once.

There is simply an exaggerated notion about how "easy" the game of 9 Ball is...ESPECIALLY in championship conditions...not local gambling matchs.

Finally, those statistics show pretty clearly that the player who does not miss is the heavy favorite to win REGARDLESS OF GENDER!

And when the lights go on...the crowds gather and the whole world is watching (albeit by tape delay)there are few people on planet earth who can "bring their games" better than Allison and Karen.

Regards,
Jim

BigRigTom
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Forget it Thor... want to see some aggressive hunting? go mall shopping with a women <hr /></blockquote>
OMG-too funny!
That was GREAT,Brad!
CArol~stomach hurts from laughing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That is funny, I have a neighbor who has a sticker on the back window of his Yukon that says:

"In Thor we trust, Thor bless America!"

Makes one stop and think...hmmm... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

spaur
01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>
Grew up in Memphis, played at all the pool halls, most that are still left may be The Rack in Southaven and High Pockets..... <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I don't like the tables at the Rec in Southaven, they aren't kept up well. High Pockets up on Summer is an alright place, except I can't get in anymore. Since the smoking ban took effect you have to be 21 and up to get in.. I'm only 20. In fact, I can't get into most of the places in Memphis anymore. For the time being I'll stick with The Rack on Lamar, besides, they have a house full of Diamonds.

Deeman3
01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>
Grew up in Memphis, played at all the pool halls, most that are still left may be The Rack in Southaven and High Pockets..... <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I don't like the tables at the Rec in Southaven, they aren't kept up well. High Pockets up on Summer is an alright place, except I can't get in anymore. Since the smoking ban took effect you have to be 21 and up to get in.. I'm only 20. In fact, I can't get into most of the places in Memphis anymore. For the time being I'll stick with The Rack on Lamar, besides, they have a house full of Diamonds. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Well, good luck and I hope you enjoy and grow in the game. We need more talented ladies and, with practice, you'll be beating the people who don't. You probabaly feel safer at the place on Lamar as the Rec had bad tables even 20 years ago and not a very nice place to go. You can't beat the Diamond tables anyway. IMO

Have a nice barbeque for me, will ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

spaur
01-29-2008, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

Yeah, I don't like the tables at the Rec in Southaven, they aren't kept up well. High Pockets up on Summer is an alright place, except I can't get in anymore. Since the smoking ban took effect you have to be 21 and up to get in.. I'm only 20. In fact, I can't get into most of the places in Memphis anymore. For the time being I'll stick with The Rack on Lamar, besides, they have a house full of Diamonds. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Well, good luck and I hope you enjoy and grow in the game. We need more talented ladies and, with practice, you'll be beating the people who don't. You probabaly feel safer at the place on Lamar as the Rec had bad tables even 20 years ago and not a very nice place to go. You can't beat the Diamond tables anyway. IMO

Have a nice barbeque for me, will ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I feel very safe on Lamar. It's open 24-7 and monitored all the time. I've been to the Rec before and almost got knocked out by some idiots fighting with their cues in the parking lot, and this was the weekend after I overheard someone to go get "the heat".. The Rec is more younger kids and more drama than anything.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi,
I noticed your flyer in announcements-race to 7,women get 2 on wire-
Can you please answer my question:
HOW MANY players were in your event?
How many players usually show up?
Thanks,
Carol

spaur
01-29-2008, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hi,
I noticed your flyer in announcements-race to 7,women get 2 on wire-
Can you please answer my question:
HOW MANY players were in your event?
How many players usually show up?
Thanks,
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Oh goodness, at least a 120 people.

Bambu
01-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Good 1 brad! Ok I admit, I made sure she wasnt around when I typed that. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
Mall bad, sewing good.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Ohhhh, so there are ALOT of players /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
!20 players,on 10 tables in one night, know WONDER it was race to 2,ha ha ha!
I asked because I was impressed with the flyer,5000 guaranteed-payout to 13th-entry 25-even if you went 2 and out, you got double your money back-the money brings in the players /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thats a GREAT guaranteed amount -your poolroom owner must be pretty awesome!
Thanks for answering!
Good luck in that tournament if you play!
Carol

Bambu
01-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Haha! Thanks Carol. I am glad to see I havent offended anyone.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am glad to see I havent offended anyone. <hr /></blockquote>
Oh, HELL no, and you got my drift about "no beef" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
no means no-,ha ha ha!
Have a great day!

spaur
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Ohhhh, so there are ALOT of players /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
!20 players,on 10 tables in one night, know WONDER it was race to 2,ha ha ha!
I asked because I was impressed with the flyer,5000 guaranteed-payout to 13th-entry 25-even if you went 2 and out, you got double your money back-the money brings in the players /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thats a GREAT guaranteed amount -your poolroom owner must be pretty awesome!
Thanks for answering!
Good luck in that tournament if you play!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

nah, the flyer is for the Super Bowl 9 Ball Open.. It's a race to 7 and the tournament is the 1st - 3rd.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I understand that-its still a good added amount for a tourney!
I remember a regional only had 400 added /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Carol

Bambu
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I dont doubt your beef is fine, carol. But, I already have a "grade A" cow of my own!

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Just checking to ensure you knew "the POWER of a cow!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
ha ha ha!

Bambu
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Oh yes. I am well trained by now, heh.

Cornerman
01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spaur:</font><hr> So, why do some tournaments insist on "helping" the ladies so?

<hr /></blockquote>Because these women want more ladies to participate on our sport. You'll also notice that handicapped tournaments are meant to get more people in general (guys, yes) involved in our sport.

THat's pretty much it. Obviously, there are going to be women in areas that don't need the spot.

Fred