PDA

View Full Version : Hondo

Drop1
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
The curfew tolls the knell of parting day
The lowering herd wind slowly o'er the lay
The plowman homeward plods his weary way
And leaves the world to darkness and to me.

Hondo,long as you can put pen to paper,or share
the power of words,no man is a stranger,no day is
without joy. Each in his narrow cell forever laid
the rude fore fathers of the hamlet sleep.

hondo
01-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Thanks, Harry.

wolfdancer
01-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks also to Thomas Gray!

hondo
01-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Never really read Gray. " Elegy for a Churchyard"?

wolfdancer
01-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not into poetry, but that was one I remembered reading...but still had to cheat and paste the verse into google to find the author.

Drop1
01-29-2008, 12:48 PM
I find it to be wonderful stuff. Thomas Gray,was a very shy teacher,who at one time jumped through the school room window rather than to longer endure his students. The night before the battle for Quebec,Wolf said he would rather have written these words,than take the city.

Drop1
01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Wolf at one time you described my poem "Maria"as a beautiful poem. I tend to agree with Menken"any man over the age of thirty,who writes poetry,is a child,'but then again remaining a child is probably the most adult act one can commit.

wolfdancer
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
poetry right now is something I want to forget. I was helping out my friend's mother-in-law, helping her to use the computer for research, and to use "Word". She writes screenplays, songs, and ....poetry.
She wrote a 100 page poem on the sinking of a lumber ship in 1903. She insisted on reading me a page from the poem every day.
I was thinking back to the movie "Tora,Tora,Tora"....the reviewer wrote that the plot took so long to develop ...that when the Japs finally attacked Pearl Harbor....the audience stood up and applauded.....something was finally happening.
I had that same feeling about this **** ship...couldn't wait for it to sink, hopefully with all hands aboard.
But if you want to read good poetry, try Charles Simic.....

Drop1
01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks Wolf,I'm familiar with the Laureate's work,there is nobody I know of,writing today,that captures complexity,in such an apparently plain box. I'm on the seventh page,of my nine hundredth novel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hondo
01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Me all time favorite poet? Dylan Thomas.

Drop1
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
One of mine too,"Go Not Gentle Into That Good Night" "In My Craft Or Sullen Art" "The Force That Through The Green Fuse" He had a wonderful capacity with compact metaphor,yet was fully lyrical. He once said,"Man is my metaphor" "and I am dumb to tell a crooked winters rose how at my sheets the same worm goes. When I was young,and seldom sober,Lawrence Lipton took me to visit Igor Stravinsky,with the idea we would do an opera of "Under Milkwood" he died not too long after that meeting,but I still remember "But who knew us then You and I when the flesh was new burst and burning,When together we sang with the wind"

wolfdancer
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm writing a poem about GWB, unfinished, but here's a sample:
"And the Black-Robe chief made answer,
Stammered In his speech a little,
Speaking words yet unfamiliar..."

LWW
01-30-2008, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm writing a poem about GWB, unfinished, but here's a sample:

"And the Black-Robe chief made answer,
Stammered In his speech a little,
Speaking words yet unfamiliar...

We have lost again, he spoke with a quiver,
Our Florida courts have done cried a river,
But they couldn't make Al ever be the winner!

Then under the spreading chestnut tree,
The partisans and hacks gathered with glee,
And they agreed amongst them the truth not to see.

And up from the crowd with a whoop and a whoosh,
Came the cackle of the those oblivious to truth,
B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH! ... B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH! ... B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH!"<hr /></blockquote>

LWW

There, I finished it for you

hondo
01-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Trying to get my students to grasp the beauty of "Fern Hill" each year was frustrating.
I came to the conclusion that you have to be somewhat older to appreciate some of my favorite writers: Dylan Thomas, Graham Greene, and James Baldwin, for example.

wolfdancer
01-30-2008, 10:40 AM
that was very clever, and I'm going to send you a gold star to paste on your forehead.....
On a serious level....there is no way you could convince anyone, not a Republican....that the Fla elections were not seriously compromised, and the Ohio elections as well.

Drop1
01-30-2008, 11:08 AM
When you mention James Baldwin,you remind me of his twenty eight page preface to a suicide note. Thanks to an English teacher,I had in eleventh grade,my life has changed to one of fullness. I doubt I would have ever pursued writing,and the pleasure of words,without her daily courage.

LWW
01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> that was very clever, and I'm going to send you a gold star to paste on your forehead.....
On a serious level....there is no way you could convince anyone, not a Republican....that the Fla elections were not seriously compromised, and the Ohio elections as well. <hr /></blockquote>
Then why hasn't a dem congress prosecuted?

Why hasn't a dem governor in Ohio prosecuted?

The answer?

They both investigated it.

There's nothing there.

Gore LOST.

Kerry LOST.

Deal with it.

LWW