PDA

View Full Version : Jump Cue...defined

Cydpkt
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
<font color="red">A jump cue is a special cue stick that is used solely for performing jump shot strokes. Jump cue length is generally shorter than that of regular pool cues, and they are normally lighter as well. The tip on a jump cue is wider and harder than that on a normal pool cue. </font color> According to: http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms-definition/jump-cue.asp

Couldn't someone just make a regulation length cue that has some graphite rod below the wrap to make the cue the required length, but still have the light weight optimal for jumping. Then when a rule comes out to ban that cue....make a balsa wood section to slide over the graphite rod.

dr_dave
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> <font color="red">A jump cue is a special cue stick that is used solely for performing jump shot strokes. Jump cue length is generally shorter than that of regular pool cues, and they are normally lighter as well. The tip on a jump cue is wider and harder than that on a normal pool cue. </font color> According to: http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms-definition/jump-cue.asp

Couldn't someone just make a regulation length cue that has some graphite rod below the wrap to make the cue the required length, but still have the light weight optimal for jumping. Then when a rule comes out to ban that cue....make a balsa wood section to slide over the graphite rod. <hr /></blockquote>I like the way you think. You must be an engineer.

Dave

Deeman3
01-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes, such animals already exist.

Cydpkt
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
No I'm not an engineer but I almost stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

It bothers me that when someone dedicates themselves and becomes proficient in a certain area, that instead of improving their own game people feel like it should be outlawed. "Because I can't do it, nobody should be able to do it!" What is next, your not allowed to masse or play safe! The soft break is a great example of this. It gives the breaker too much of an advantage. Isn't breaking supposed to give a person the advantage? When did you see someone intentionally throw the lag so they could let their opponent break?

Jump sticks evolved because peoples safety games have really improved. Sometimes it is easier to jump the ball than to execute the kick.

As peoples games improve so must the game and the equipment.

Is the main objective to come out with a new piece of equipment that everyone buys, then it gets outlawed. Then a newer piece of equipment comes out.....

Deeman3
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr>
It bothers me that when someone dedicates themselves and becomes proficient in a certain area, that instead of improving their own game people feel like it should be outlawed. "Because I can't do it, nobody should be able to do it!"
<font color="blue"> The very same argument can be made and perhaps stronger that those who actually learned to jump with a normal cue have bene leapfrogged by a tool that requires much less skill. </font color>

Jump sticks evolved because peoples safety games have really improved. Sometimes it is easier to jump the ball than to execute the kick.

<font color="blue">While safety play has imporeved, it has little to do with the jump cue and more to do with innovative players like Efren. Overall, i believe the level of skill in escaping safeties and the rewards for a good safety have been diminished by the jump cue. It's made good safties less valuable and, therefore, less skilled players can now escape them. </font color>

As peoples games improve so must the game and the equipment.

<font color="blue"> If this means easier to accomplish, you may have a point but certainly the skill to jump is much less a skill now. </font color>

Is the main objective to come out with a new piece of equipment that everyone buys, then it gets outlawed. Then a newer piece of equipment comes out.....

<font color="blue"> I didn't invent the thing and have never sold them but I would be just as happy if they were not allowed but this should be either yes or no, not mixed rules at every tournament. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Bambu
01-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Thats exactly how I see it. Want to jump, use a regular cue, then its not cheating with a corked or weird bat. Also the safety becomming less valuable, very good point.