PDA

View Full Version : Do you see what I see? Slight OB wiggle...

Billy_Bob
01-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Sometimes, when attempting to shoot a very thin cut, the cue ball will barely touch the object ball causing a very slight movement of the object ball.

It is so slight of a movement that the OB actually stays in the same spot. Perhaps a half a milimeter or milimeter of movement, then back to where the ball was.

So if the CB continues on to hit a rail, then it is a good hit and not a foul.

But some players do not see this happen. They do not see this very slight movement of the OB. But I and other players do see it.

My question: Is there a way to train your eyes to see this happen?

Or is it that some people can see these things better than others? Or maybe the shooter is looking directly at the OB and will see this, whereas the other player is not looking directly at the OB?

BigRigTom
01-29-2008, 04:30 PM
My eyes are not the greatest but I see this kind of thing all the time.
It happened just last night during our 8 ball league with a slight variation...the shooter did not see the hit but several of the rest of us did....the shooter thought he had fouled by missing the OB all together. He reached out and almost picked up the cue ball to hand it to the opponent....of course I jumped out of my seat and yelled at him to leave the cue ball alone, and just barely stopped him in time too!

bsmutz
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, it happens. I took ball in hand one time because I thought the opponent missed the ball, but I was wrong and ended up giving my opponent ball in hand instead without getting to take a shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
"of course I jumped out of my seat and yelled at him to leave the cue ball alone, and just barely stopped him in time too!"

I have to assume coaching is allowed in your league???sid

BigRigTom
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Yep...it is APA and in a regular league match, an incident like that is NOT a time out. It is acceptible to do that as a courtesy to the player...kind of like telling him when he is about to shot the wrong ball.

Of course none of us has ever shot the wrong ball have we! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OB actually stays in the same spot <hr /></blockquote>
I've seen shots like this, but, if the object ball remained in the SAME SPOT, its a foul!

[ QUOTE ]
My question: Is there a way to train your eyes to see this happen? <hr /></blockquote>
Personally,Billy Bob, I'd find no practical purpose to spend time doing this or "is there one"
If your the shooter and the "wind" moves the OB but it remains in the SAME spot,even though you saw it move a hair, its a foul-am I correct?
Lately,my eyes have been slacking -I can see far, but I cant see close /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe the shooter is looking directly at the OB and will see this, whereas the other player is not looking directly at the OB?
<hr /></blockquote>
That could be

Carol

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 01:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Sometimes, when attempting to shoot a very thin cut, the cue ball will barely touch the object ball causing a very slight movement of the object ball.

It is so slight of a movement that the OB actually stays in the same spot. Perhaps a half a milimeter or milimeter of movement, then back to where the ball was.

So if the CB continues on to hit a rail, then it is a good hit and not a foul.

But some players do not see this happen. They do not see this very slight movement of the OB. But I and other players do see it.

My question: Is there a way to train your eyes to see this happen?

Or is it that some people can see these things better than others? Or maybe the shooter is looking directly at the OB and will see this, whereas the other player is not looking directly at the OB?

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Billy Bob,
To address your last 2 questions, you have to be looking at the OB when contact occurs. I pay close attention to the reflections on the OB...just so long as the table light isn't moving. Sometimes, you need to be close to the OB to see it move.You will see thin cuts like this more often in Straight Pool.....for safety shots.</font color>