PDA

View Full Version : 8-Ball Practice Question

putz0999
01-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi all.

I'm a newbie, but have been lurking and reading for a while.

Here's my question...
I started practicing 14:1 a couple years ago and saw a noticable improvement in my 8-ball game. The friend that I practice with is an older gentleman that grew up playing snooker. We found a snooker table last year and switched to playing snooker about once a week.

My problem is that since switching to playing snooker on a regular basis, my 8-ball game is falling apart. Has anyone else noticed a problem switching back and forth between snooker and "regular" pool?? The balls are different sizes and I am wondering if the size difference is what is confusing my 8-ball eye.

Another regular at the pool hall has repeatedly refused to play snooker with us because he claims it messes up his regular pool game.

Any thoughts??

Putz

Cydpkt
01-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Smaller balls and smaller pockets should allow you to become more accurate. That being said there are some adjustments to be made when going from a different sized table and balls. There is a different mental process used for each game. 9 ball vs 8 ball is a great example. 8 ball every ball is a defensive opportunity. When you remove all your defensive "players" you better sink the 8. I truly believe more games are lost by the person who attempts (unsuccessfully) to run out. It is a huge advantage to a smart player to step up and have only their balls and the 8 ball on the table. Have you ever noticed how hard it is to get a shot on the last ball before the 8 when your opponent has all of their balls on the table. Play smart and switch mind sets for which ever game you are playing.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The balls are different sizes <hr /></blockquote>

The top female players were ALL snooker champions before they came to the US-its not only ball size,but,as you probably noticed,snooker tables have round edges so you have to split the pockets! Plus your shooting on a 12 x 6
I would think it would make you MORE accurate

Bob_Jewett
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote putz0999:</font><hr> ... My problem is that since switching to playing snooker on a regular basis, my 8-ball game is falling apart. Has anyone else noticed a problem switching back and forth between snooker and "regular" pool?? ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think it is a matter of switching back and forth more. When I started to play in an 8-ball league, I had some trouble going from 4.5x9 to 7-foot tables, but after a while it was less of a problem.

The classic story about switching games is about Don "Preacher" Feeney. It is said that in one week (maybe it was one day, but that is really hard to believe) he had a run of 100 at pool, a break of 100 at snooker and a run of 10 at 3-cushion.

When I play snooker, I tend towards the much tighter snooker fundamentals.

bsmutz
01-29-2008, 03:56 PM
In my minimal experience having both a snooker table and pool table at home to practice on, I've learned that I have to pay more attention to the shot angles when moving from one table to the other for the first half hour or so until my brain figures out where the pockets are and I can start to "feel" the angles. The smaller balls are also harder to make than the larger balls. Playing with the larger balls on the snooker table has made my pool game much better and has also improved my snooker game. I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience.

CarolNYC
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Bsmutz,
Arent the pockets on the snooker table rounded?
[ QUOTE ]
Playing with the larger balls on the snooker table has made my pool game much better and has also improved my snooker game. I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience. <hr /></blockquote>
Wouldnt playing with LARGER balls make it even more difficult to pocket?
Carol

Cornerman
01-29-2008, 11:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote putz0999:</font><hr> Hi all.

I'm a newbie, but have been lurking and reading for a while.

Here's my question...
I started practicing 14:1 a couple years ago and saw a noticable improvement in my 8-ball game. The friend that I practice with is an older gentleman that grew up playing snooker. We found a snooker table last year and switched to playing snooker about once a week.

My problem is that since switching to playing snooker on a regular basis, my 8-ball game is falling apart. Has anyone else noticed a problem switching back and forth between snooker and "regular" pool?? The balls are different sizes and I am wondering if the size difference is what is confusing my 8-ball eye.

Another regular at the pool hall has repeatedly refused to play snooker with us because he claims it messes up his regular pool game.

Any thoughts??

Putz <hr /></blockquote>Because you mention 14.1, and don't mention pocketing issues, then I will conclude that it'[s a matter of switching back and forth between games.

8-ball is pattern heavy, like 14.1. Snooker is shotmaking heavy. I assume that when you're playing snooker, you're putting nearly 100% effort just in pocketing the balls, with minimal pattern play. While in 8-ball, shotmaking probably isn't any issue. And maybe when you switch back to 8-ball, the shotmaking is so easy that you've completely forgotten that 8-ball is a pattern game.

Don't forget your patterns.

Fred

okinawa77
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Putz,

It could be the difference in felt. Snooker tables have thick felt. So your CB and OBs will perform differently on snooker felt vs. 8 ball felt.....especially when using a lot of english.

What do you think Bob?

Even with dead center CB contact during shots, the CB will go into a natural roll, and when it collides with the OB, the effects of CIT/CIE would create a different outcome for the ball track lines on Snooker felt vs. Billiards felt. Am I right? Or would the effects be too small.
Perhaps humidity as an added variable should be calculated also. Since Snooker cloth is different than Billiards cloth, one may be more resistant than the other.

CarolNYC
01-30-2008, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
8-ball is pattern heavy, like 14.1. Snooker is shotmaking heavy. I assume that when you're playing snooker, you're putting nearly 100% effort just in pocketing the balls, with minimal pattern play. While in 8-ball, shotmaking probably isn't any issue. And maybe when you switch back to 8-ball, the shotmaking is so easy that you've completely forgotten that 8-ball is a pattern game. <hr /></blockquote>

TAP,tap,tap

Jager85
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Bsmutz,
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Playing with the larger balls on the snooker table has made my pool game much better and has also improved my snooker game. I'm not an expert, just sharing my experience. <hr /></blockquote>
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Yes...but what he means is after practicing with the larger balls on the snooker table and then playing regularly with the smaller balls his game gets better. This is because much more accuracy is needed to pocket the larger balls which helps with your shot making ability.

Jager85
01-30-2008, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
8-ball is pattern heavy, like 14.1. Snooker is shotmaking heavy. I assume that when you're playing snooker, you're putting nearly 100% effort just in pocketing the balls, with minimal pattern play. While in 8-ball, shotmaking probably isn't any issue. And maybe when you switch back to 8-ball, the shotmaking is so easy that you've completely forgotten that 8-ball is a pattern game. <hr /></blockquote>

TAP,tap,tap <hr /></blockquote>

This would make entire sense from my situation as well. I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum where playin snooker greatly increases my 8-ball game because of the difficulty in making shots. I am different than most though, I learned english before learning to shoot so it is my shotmaking that gets shaky every now and then while my patterns are normally there. After playin on a snooker table my shotmaking ability immensly increases.

Jager

bsmutz
01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Actually, I do mean that the larger balls are easier to pocket than the smaller balls. This isn't just my opinion, but that of others that I've played with and Jay Helfert, too. The pocket is smaller in relation to the larger balls, but they are definitely a little easier to pocket. I think it has to do with the smaller balls requiring a more precise hit due to the smaller target. It's just harder to see the correct contact point, especially with the longer distances. I also find it harder to play position (especially draw) with the smaller cue ball. I attribute this to the smaller cuing area requiring more precise tip placement.
I have a couple that come over to my house to play about once a week. They both bounce around between levels 3 &amp; 4 in APA. When we play cutthroat, they can gang up on me and beat me maybe a quarter of the time on the pool table. It's a little bit less on the snooker table, but they can still run 3-4 balls fairly regularly. When we play snooker, it is very rare for them to make 3-4 balls in a row and I would say 2 in a row only once every 4-5 trips to the table at most.

bradb
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote putz0999:</font><hr> Hi all.

Any thoughts??

Putz <hr /></blockquote>

You mention you still play 8Ball, are you on the 9 foot table, or are you talking bar tables?.... On the bar table the QBall is slightly bigger than the object balls. This effects cutting and follow as the Qball will rebound differently.

I played snooker for many years then switched to the 9' table. For me the smaller table was much, much easier.

When I go back to snooker I find it harder now as it requires much more precise cuing. I have tended to get a little sloppy on the smaller table, but you can't on the 12 foot. Thats why the old timer does'nt want to play 8Ball, it can mess up a snooker players game.

There are a lot of good players who can play both, but they will play their best on the table they spend most their time on. If Alison went back to snooker she probably would'nt be as strong as she was before. -brad

Eric.
01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Bsmutz,
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Carol,

I haven't spent much time on a snooker table, but in my experience, I'll agree wit the larger ball being easier to pocket concept.

I dont have the answer, but I guess my larger pool cue shaft might have something to do with it. It seems like with a pool cue (13mm tip), if I'm not super careful, I put unwanted side spin on the smaller snooker cueball.

Eric

CarolNYC
01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yes...but what he means is after practicing with the larger balls on the snooker table and then playing regularly with the smaller balls his game gets better. <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, yes,absolutely,I see,... I never heard of anyone playing with the larger balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Carol

bradb
01-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Its not the larger balls on a pool table that make it easier... its the larger pockets. They look like canyons to a snooker player!

Snooker pockets are cut rounded as apposed to pointed on a pool table. This means you must hit directly in the pocket middle. On a pool table you can hit just inside the point and it will deflect in, so you can hit part way up the rail and the pockets will still take the ball. You can "cheat the pockets" which is almost impossible in snooker.

The cue is much narrower in snooker to allow for the smaller contact point. Also the stance is more from the side instead of straight on. Thats often because the table is higher and of course longer, so you need more reach.

Also a snooker table uses napped cloth which effects spin and ball roll, especially on the rails. For instance if you miss a side bank short on a snooker table, it will continue across and pocket on the other side. On a shaved cloth pool table it will angle back the way it came. I noticed this when I first started playing and it was really annoying.

There are other things but these i think really stand out as challenging in adapting to snooker. --brad

Eric.
01-30-2008, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Its not the larger balls on a pool table that make it easier... its the larger pockets. They look like canyons to a snooker player!
<hr /></blockquote>

Brad,

I think you missed what I was saying...

I was talking about using larger Pool balls on a snooker table. (playing "Golf")

For whatever reason, it seems easier for me, using a pool cue, to pocket the larger balls ona snooker table. When I try playing snooker, with snooker balls, using a pool cue, I seem to get more throw on my cut shots, probably due in part to my inaccurate cueing.

I don't have the answer to it, I just cut/aim a lil fatter when shooting snooker.

Eric

CarolNYC
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its the larger pockets. They look like canyons to a snooker player!
<hr /></blockquote>
Karen (Corr) told me just that /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
was talking about using larger Pool balls on a snooker table <hr /></blockquote>
I thought you were saying that,Eric!
I've only played snooker maybe 3 x and found it very difficult-but I like it-
To me, using largers balls,OMG-but then again, I could see it being easier for a player of your caliber! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Love ya,
Carol

Eric.
01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> To me, using largers balls,OMG-but then again, I could see it being easier for a player of your caliber! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Love ya,

Carol, I spend my table time firing balls into rails. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

CarolNYC
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah right!
I've seen you play,so, DONT EVEN TRY IT!
But I appreciate your humbleness- /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

bradb
01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Brad,

I think you missed what I was saying...

I was talking about using larger Pool balls on a snooker table. (playing "Golf")

For whatever reason, it seems easier for me, using a pool cue, to pocket the larger balls ona snooker table. When I try playing snooker, with snooker balls, using a pool cue, I seem to get more throw on my cut shots, probably due in part to my inaccurate cueing.

I don't have the answer to it, I just cut/aim a lil fatter when shooting snooker.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, I missed that.

Are you saying you put the actual larger pool balls on a full size (12') snooker table?

A snooker table has lower rails than a pool table for the smaller balls. Also a snooker tables pockets are so small It would very difficult to pocket a large ball.

You guys must have a different kind on table down there?

Confoosed up here....? -brad

Alfie
01-31-2008, 12:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ..., but I guess my larger pool cue shaft might have something to do with it. It seems like with a pool cue (13mm tip), if I'm not super careful, I put unwanted side spin on the smaller snooker cueball.<hr /></blockquote>and get the BIG squirt

Cornerman
01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Also a snooker tables pockets are so small It would very difficult to pocket a large ball.

<hr /></blockquote>I think you're confused because you're going into the conversation assuming that it would be more difficult to pocket the larger balls on the snooker table, while others are starting off telling you that they've actually found it easier.

This has been discussed at some length by several people, and the basic idea has little to do with the relative pocket size or pocket type. It's just the idea that as a pool player, hitting pool balls with our cue is something we know and understand, so whether we're hitting them into a pool hole or snooker hole, we're going to be okay with it.

Turn it around to convince yourself. Throw snooker balls onto a pool table and shoot them in with your pool cue. It's no picnic, simply from the fact that the balls are smaller, they make a different sound, we see them different, the cue stick looks funny when we hit them, etc. In other words, the relavite ball to pocket size doesn't automatically make anything any easier if we're not used to the ball size to begin with.

Fred

bradb
01-31-2008, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Also a snooker tables pockets are so small It would very difficult to pocket a large ball.

<hr /></blockquote>I think you're confused because you're going into the conversation assuming that it would be more difficult to pocket the larger balls on the snooker table, while others are starting off telling you that they've actually found it easier.

This has been discussed at some length by several people, and the basic idea has little to do with the relative pocket size or pocket type. It's just the idea that as a pool player, hitting pool balls with our cue is something we know and understand, so whether we're hitting them into a pool hole or snooker hole, we're going to be okay with it.

Turn it around to convince yourself. Throw snooker balls onto a pool table and shoot them in with your pool cue. It's no picnic, simply from the fact that the balls are smaller, they make a different sound, we see them different, the cue stick looks funny when we hit them, etc. In other words, the relavite ball to pocket size doesn't automatically make anything any easier if we're not used to the ball size to begin with.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

What the hell planet are you from?.....

Here's the deal. You come up here and put full size balls on an english snooker table and I will give you a five for every one you make and you give me a one for every miss and you will be broke!

I can only think that you have never played on a real snooker table. An english table will not take 2 snooker balls side by side, its a very small opening. I've played on them for years and I can tell you that potting a full size pool ball on one would be very, very difficult. I'm not talking about small balls on a pool table, go back and read what I said.

I've calmed down a bit after kicking the dog and teaching the parrot a few new words, so I erased a rather imflamatory rant your way and will add this.

I'll up the bet 10 bucks for everyball you make!... where's the damn cat!

-brad
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bsmutz
01-31-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a 10' snooker table (the most common size seen in our backwards country) at my home as stated earlier. Two 2 1/8" snooker balls will not fit into the corner pocket opening side by side. For me (and others I've played with), it is easier to make 2 1/4" pool balls into those snooker pockets than it is to make the 2 1/8" balls into the same snooker pockets. Is that clear enough for you? There's no need to come unglued. Even on a 12' table, I don't think you'd like your end of your proposition at 5 per ball and I know you wouldn't like it at 10 per ball if I were shooting.

bradb
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I have a 10' snooker table (the most common size seen in our backwards country) at my home as stated earlier. Two 2 1/8" snooker balls will not fit into the corner pocket opening side by side. For me (and others I've played with), it is easier to make 2 1/4" pool balls into those snooker pockets than it is to make the 2 1/8" balls into the same snooker pockets. Is that clear enough for you? There's no need to come unglued. <hr /></blockquote>

-I cut this from the British snooker site:

(Quote)...The pocket openings of modern standard snooker tables conform to special templates owned and controlled by the Governing Body of World Snooker. These templates are used for the snooker tables used in all professional snooker tournaments.

However, snooker players in most snooker clubs would find it very frustrating to play on tables with such small pocket openings. So, manufacturers tend to produce snooker tables intended for club and domestic use with pocket openings the same shape as the standard template but slightly more generous in their width. (End quote.)

I've played on snooker tables in the states and they are easier at most clubs. so I beleive we are talking different conditions here. In Canada we play on regulation tables.

I'm not infering pool players are in the backwoods... hell I'm surrounded by a forest on a mountain side.

I no longer play snooker now I'm in an 8ball league so no snobs here, but you can the "clear enough crap" and learn something yourself. -brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

putz0999
02-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Thank you all for the feedback.

Since starting this thread, I've been paying a lot more attention to playing 8 ball and can see a slight improvement. I'm pretty sure that the difference in ball size was just not registering in my mind. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I will be able to pull my 8 ball game out of the crapper.

We typically play snooker with only 6 cherries to make the game a little faster. I had a run of 47 points the last time out. While being far from an expert, I am able to pocket balls. I guess that is why I have been so frustrated.

Again, thank you all for the responses. I like the idea of shooting on a snooker table using the larger balls. I think that would be an excellent way to practice. Having never tried that, I may be wrong, but it sure seems like it would be harder to pocket the larger balls.

Putz

Cornerman
02-01-2008, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> You guys must have a different kind on table down there?
What the hell planet are you from?.....

Here's the deal.

I can only think that you have never played on a real snooker table.

I've calmed down a bit after kicking the dog and teaching the parrot a few new words, so I erased a rather imflamatory rant your way and will add this. <hr /></blockquote>You said you were confused. I thought I might give an explanation many others have given (Jay Helfert, Bob Jewett, etc.) as to why others may find it easier to pocket regular pool balls on a snooker table. Sorry if I misunderstood by what you meant by "you're confused." You must have meant "your experience has been different."

Maybe you need to re-read my post again. I never said it was easy. Nobody did. Easier is what some people said. And, I can't argue with that for exactly the reasons I gave in my post. You did actually read it, yes?

Fred &lt;~~~ has played on snooker tables in the UK, continental, and the US.

bradb
02-01-2008, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>You said you were confused. I thought I might give an explanation many others have given (Jay Helfert, Bob Jewett, etc.) as to why others may find it easier to pocket regular pool balls on a snooker table. Sorry if I misunderstood by what you meant by "you're confused." You must have meant "your experience has been different."

Maybe you need to re-read my post again. I never said it was easy. Nobody did. Easier is what some people said. And, I can't argue with that for exactly the reasons I gave in my post. You did actually read it, yes?

Fred &lt;~~~ has played on snooker tables in the UK, continental, and the US. <hr /></blockquote>

If you have played on regulation tables then you know the folly of placing pool balls on them. I won't need to go into the details of lower rails, etc. I must say I have never heard of anybody trying this here.

Obviously we are talking about a different type of snooker table for which some in this post are reffering to. There are some 5 x 10 snooker tables here at the legions, but if you want to play pool on them they have the smaller numbered balls.

I went down to the club last night and tried to pocket a large ball on a regulation table and it was almost impossible unless it was directly straight on to the pocket.

I agree that the small balls react differently from the larger pool balls. I played in the US on pool tables for 10 years, then snooker here in Canada for 20 years. Now for 5 years I'm back to pool. I find it a bit of a challenge to go back to snooker, but after about 4 or 5 frames I'm fairly well attuned. But thats because I've learned both games.

I do not use my pool cue on snooker, it feels more comfortable, but the thinner snooker shaft cue is more efficient.

I can only say to anyone going back and forth that they should use the proper equipment if they want to play the game correctly. Its a matter adapting to the circumstance, not forcing one learned technique into another unlearned one.

Before anyone states "this is the way its done" they should look at the whole picture and not just their world. Of course this goes for us up here, so can we acknowledge that?..... brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>
If you have played on regulation tables then you know the folly of placing pool balls on them. I won't need to go into the details of lower rails, etc. I must say I have never heard of anybody trying this here.

Obviously we are talking about a different type of snooker table for which some in this post are reffering to. There are some 5 x 10 snooker tables here at the legions, but if you want to play pool on them they have the smaller numbered balls.

I went down to the club last night and tried to pocket a large ball on a regulation table and it was almost impossible unless it was directly straight on to the pocket.

I agree that the small balls react differently from the larger pool balls. I played in the US on pool tables for 10 years, then snooker here in Canada for 20 years. Now for 5 years I'm back to pool. I find it a bit of a challenge to go back to snooker, but after about 4 or 5 frames I'm fairly well attuned. But thats because I've learned both games.

I do not use my pool cue on snooker, it feels more comfortable, but the thinner snooker shaft cue is more efficient.

I can only say to anyone going back and forth that they should use the proper equipment if they want to play the game correctly. Its a matter adapting to the circumstance, not forcing one learned technique into another unlearned one.

Before anyone states "this is the way its done" they should look at the whole picture and not just their world. Of course this goes for us up here, so can we acknowledge that?..... brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Brad,

I think most ppl were just offering opinions and observations. I certainly am not offering my opinon as "gospel", just something I noticed.

This might put us on the same page:

-In the States, there is a game called "Golf" using regular Pool balls and a Snooker table. That is usually the only time when Pool balls are used on a snooker table.

-Two Snooker tables I've played recently; one was a 6x12 Churchill(?) at Comet Billiards, NJ, whcih had the traditional nap cloth and the pockets with aprox 3 1/2" wide and rounded.
The other was a 6x12, brand unknown, at Atlantic City Billiards, NJ. I was playing a tourney this past weekend and was just screwing around a lil on it. I would guess that the pockets were around 3 1/2" too.

Those two tables are what I'm basing my opinion on. I've played others, but these are fresh in my mind. Do they sound like they might be "regulation" Snooker tables?

FWIW, I was using a Pool cue, not a Snooker cue, and that is where my opinion came from.

Eric

bradb
02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
Brad,
I think most ppl were just offering opinions and observations. I certainly am not offering my opinon as "gospel", just something I noticed.

This might put us on the same page:

-In the States, there is a game called "Golf" using regular Pool balls and a Snooker table. That is usually the only time when Pool balls are used on a snooker table.

-Two Snooker tables I've played recently; one was a 6x12 Churchill(?) at Comet Billiards, NJ, whcih had the traditional nap cloth and the pockets with aprox 3 1/2" wide and rounded.
The other was a 6x12, brand unknown, at Atlantic City Billiards, NJ. I was playing a tourney this past weekend and was just screwing around a lil on it. I would guess that the pockets were around 3 1/2" too.

Those two tables are what I'm basing my opinion on. I've played others, but these are fresh in my mind. Do they sound like they might be "regulation" Snooker tables?

FWIW, I was using a Pool cue, not a Snooker cue, and that is where my opinion came from.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Actually I have never known the pockets measurements, its always been a visual thing. I can just look at it and see which regulation it is. It will be a bit harder to measure since the opening is rounded but I will check.

Golf is a big game here. but the balls are the smaller size numbered balls. They have to be or they would jump off the table on a hard bank.

There can be up to 8 people playing. Its an extremely difficult game with pins placed on the spots for traps! If your ball is the 9 ball for instance you would use the matching yellow 1 ball as your Qball and so on. They play for up to 5 dollars a stroke. When the leader holes a pocket he begins counting strokes till everyone is out. It can get very tense! You must circle the table twice to win. I have never played it, it requires a skill beyond a lot of snooker players.

The table brands you mention are similar. many of the tables here are 80 year old antiques with leather pockets which are so small its difficult to get your hand into them to remove the balls.

I'll get back to you on the measurements.

-cheers, Brad

bradb
02-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

I went and measured the Old Dufferin table at our local pool hall.

The Dufferin is a "tight Club" table, its a little more friendlier than a Tournament table. The pockets are 3" at the opening. The sides a little more. (I would imagine the American snooker tablers are "loose Club" tables which very from different manufaturers.)

The "Tournament" tables downtown at the Cue Club are even tighter at just under 3" all around. These are the tables the pros play on in England.

These pockets do not funnel the ball in, you must hit the 3" opening. When I think that Ronnie OSullivan ran a record fast 147 on this table, I am in awe of the man!

-brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif